• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Inserting FMC gauge in Virtual cockpit

Country
brazil
Hi.

I have one FMC gauge installed in the 2D panel of my 737-800 default. It´s working very well.

I would like to install the same FMC gauge in the Virtual cockpit.

I inserted in the panel.cfg file, in the section [Vcockpit.01] the FMC gauge, but it doesn´t appears in the VC.

What are the steps to insert one gauge into virtual cockpit?:confused:

Build your own 3D model for the VC and map all the gauges you want.

Otherwise, it's not something you can modify because there is no mapping in the default aircraft for an FMC.

As stated above, generally you can *replace* gauges with those of similar size and shape, but you cannot *add* gauges to new areas not covered by a virtual gauge polygon. This allowable area can only be mapped by trial and error, AFAIK.

What I do is "search out" the allowable areas by adding the desired gauge right over the top of a gauge near to my desired location (i.e. use the same gauge coordinates as the existing gauge), and (if all of the gauge is visible) then modify the coordinates until the gauge is where I want it, or it starts getting cut off by the edge of the virtual gauge polygon. Then I know if what I want is possible or not.

Hope this helps,

I used the MDLconverter program to convert the mdl file to 3ds file.

It worked. Now I can to open the VC in the Gmax program, but I dont know create one gauge in the Gmax.:eek:

Could somebody give me instructions to do it? Maybe one good tutorial would be usefull. :)

Congratulations. You now have a mish-mash of mesh, which is nothing more than a mess. :(

Congratulations. You now have a mish-mash of mesh, which is nothing more than a mess. :(

Ok Bill.

You are saying for me that this file is useless. Well, how can I open an original mdl file for editing? Is it possible?

There are some projects in the internet of the originals VC, that were modified. I have one those.

If not is possible open the original mdl file, we have that create a new model?:(

Well, not useless, but now you have to animate it from scratch, without the benefit of knowing the custom XML code for each knob and control - a daunting task. And you cannot release your modifications to anyone else without the permission of the original author anyway.

Much better to ask for the source code from the author...

Ok Bill.

You are saying for me that this file is useless. Well, how can I open an original mdl file for editing? Is it possible?(
Tom has already mentioned one of the most challenging problems, the other is that all of the mesh has been organized by Texture DrawCall, meaning that every object that was assigned to the same FSX Material is now one solid, unwelded hunk of mesh (what I meant by mish-mash of mesh).

The first task then would be to work your way through each "hunk of mesh" and separate out all of the previously independent and presumably animated objects (knobs, buttons, switches, levers, etc.), name them, animate them, then create the XML scripts for visibility, animation and/or mouse control.

Honestly, starting from scratch is most definitely the easier path to follow, albeit challenging in its own right.

And no, there is no way to 'open a .mdl file for editing...'

Last edited:
Bill, there is a way to change that setting in MCX so the mesh is not collapsed by DrawCall; I think the setting has CollapseParts in the name? Set it to False.

But I agree I wouldn't want to try that task...

Tom, that may well be the case. I haven't looked at MCX for well over a year now, so I'm certainly not up to date... ;)

Hi
I have downloaded the honeywellfmc.zip from Avsim Library and installed it in fsx crj 700. I can work with it when i choose fmc from the menu: views > instrument Panel. I wanted to have both GPS and FMC together and i succeeded to reach this goal.
But when i turn fmc on , the fmc gauge in virtual cockpit seems still off.
could you please to help me how to solve this problem. I've attached panel.cfg file.
Thanks .

fmc.JPG

could you please to help me how to solve this problem. I've attached panel.cfg file.
Thanks .

Attachments

• cfg.rar
    1.7 KB · Views: 122
It is likely that the FMSes in the VC aren't mapped to a $material, so nothing will ever be displayed there.

Perhaps it is possible to use the platform wizard in MCX to deduce the required coordinates of the required $vc material.
Then merge in a new $vc material pre-edited with these coordinates.

Essex, I've never tried that method but added several by "merging" a new piece using the $VC material. I will have to try your method next time. My way can be VERY frustrating and time consuming to get right.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

True but I thought I'd have a go anyway. It's remarkably easy with MCX:
p7txHpk.png

The process:
  • Isolate the pedestal in MCX and export as OBJ
  • Import the OBJ to Gmax using free importobj.ms script
  • Convert the mesh to poly, select the CDU polys and detach (eg. CDU_left and CDU_right)
  • Create $CRJ_2 texture with FMC gauge image (I used FS Panel Studio) and use it to create a VC material
  • Re-map and apply VC material to CDU polys, set GUID and export
  • Back in MCX, load interior model, delete the pedestal and merge the updated pedestal model. Re-export.
Added new model.fmc and panel.fmc folders with modified panel.cfg and new interior and added a new aircraft.cfg entry.

I didn't notice any problems when flying. The pedestal part just seemed to be static with no animations so I didn't notice anything being lost. Maybe just good luck in this case.

Last edited:
Nice job. As long as there are no animations in the part, that should be very useful.

Looks nice!

So hard to install things into the 3d cockpit on new planes. We now use 3d objects on the gauges, moving switches and dials that turn, which are coded with MouseRect and Animation coding, totally separate from the primary gauge, and the codes interact with the gauge. So so so difficult to add a gauge to the VC. You basically have to rebuild the plane for a single gauge if you are doing it yourself.

I get people asking me to redo my panels for a specific gauge (Garmin) that doesnt fit in most all of my planes, would require a new model of the panel, with its own ambient occlusions, graphics sheets (4K graphic sheets in tons of layers with shadings and things). It would be a massive endeavor. Astronomical. For just one gauge....

Its good that you know, and so glad you were able to get something working.

Sometimes its just easier to have the popup and 2D panel. No waist of time, no waist of energy. Straight to flying and log some good flight hours.

Yes it's fun to hack on the default planes and spruce them up a bit, but for addons with all that painstaking modeling and texturing I prefer to enjoy them as-is.

I recall Milviz included an alternative cockpit on one of their GA planes (C310 maybe) with an area where you could put any 2D gauges you wanted. I used that to add my RealityXP gauges.

I recall Milviz included an alternative cockpit on one of their GA planes (C310 maybe) with an area where you could put any 2D gauges you wanted. I used that to add my RealityXP gauges.

Interesting.. Thats a cool idea. Great for all those people that like to make their own panels.

Man, that made things so much easier in the old days, before we got hyper detailed.

Back