• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Use ADE-GP 2.2.09 for FSX airports developed with ADE 1.75

Country
us-texas
Dom, I use uniform lines as taxiway edges, which follow the edge forming an ellipse.

vertex.jpg

vertex2.jpg

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Ok. But, the shape the line forms is immaterial. From ADE-GPs perspective, there's a start vertex (0) and an end vertex, and maybe some in between, which ADE-GP straightens - preserving individual leg lengths.

You appear to be using a double line, so it's not clear what is the issue with orientation. However, the direction you proceed around the ellipse will determine the orientation of the line on the texture.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I'm travelling at the moment and will be away from my development system for a few more days. When I get home, I'll check to see if the flipped vertices can be made permanent.
Having now explored the issue, I can confirm that flipped vertices are "remembered", so long as you don't change the line. But, as David has discovered, if you move, add or delete a vertex, ADE-GP "forgets" the line was flipped.

When you first create a line that uses a line texture (whether or not the texture is dimensioned), ADE straightens the line, horizontally or vertically as appropriate, recognizing the length of each leg, centers the straightened line of the selected texture and records the UV (i.e., location on the texture sheet) of each vertex. If you flip the line, ADE-GP flips the UVs, but there's no other record of the flip having taken place. If the file is compiled at that point, the texture "orientation" will be flipped as expected.

However, if you then move, add or delete a vertex, you almost certainly will have also changed the length of one or more legs. So, ADE-GP must create a new straightened line to recognize the new line leg length(s). (Otherwise, the displayed texture would be distorted.) In doing so, it creates a new set of UVs, replacing the old ones (which reflected the flip).

It would be very difficult to detect from a set of UVs whether or not the vertices had been flipped. But, when it does happen, it only takes a couple mouse actions on the part of the user to correct.

The way to avoid this difficulty is, as I described above, to envisage the way the line will be applied to the texture and draw the line with vertex 0 at the left or bottom end relative to the texture.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just posted Development Release 2.2.00 to http://stuff4fs.com. It includes the promised capability to generate ground illumination polys as well as a few other minor improvements (see the included Version History). An extensively revised User Manual is included.

Release 2.2.00 MUST be used with ADE 1.71 or later. The "base" texture folders contain a collection of ground illumination textures which should be copied into your Textures and Textures_Dpy folders (or replaced with your own) in order to generate ground illumination. Also included is a .cmd file that I use to facilitate the creation of ground illumination. If you want to use it, it must be modified and located as set out in the User Manual first.

I have made extensive use of this release (with very satisfactory results) in updating my CYYJ. Nonetheless, I still consider it to be a beta release until a few others use it to create ground illumination for their airports. Please give it a try and report any significant difficulties in generating ground polys - other than learning-curve related - in a specific thread below.

Creation of effective ground illumination is more art than science. So, it may require multiple attempts on your part to get satisfactory results. But, don't get discouraged. The results will be worth the effort (see the screenshots at the beginning of the User Manual.)

Finally, I have extended the use of FSX materials back into ADE's FSX and P3Dv2 modes. This may be useful to some of you for special purpose applications. Jon intends to make a change in ADE to facilitate use of this feature. But, until he does, all you need do to make use of this capability is create a single-line text file in the ADE\ADE_GP folder named Path_to_FSX_Compiler.txt that contains the path to the folder containing your FSX compiler - normally the FSX SDK Environment Kit\BGL Compiler SDK. No changes are required to ADE 1.71 to support the ground illumination capability.

Have fun!
Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just posted an update to ADE-GP 2.2.00. It contains a few user interface tweaks I felt were needed during my own extensive use of the product while updated my CYYJ. Most notable are:
  • the Illumination checkbox on the compiler dialog, which is now checked automatically if the source .sd4 file name ends with "_GI", and
  • the name of GP .bgls compiled for P3Dv3 are now suffixed with "_GP3", to differentiate them from files compiled for earlier versions.
You can download Version 2.2.01 from http://stuff4fs.com. Navigate to the Applications page and select the ADE_GP tab.

Jon, 2.2.01 is ready for release with the next update to ADE 1.71.

Don

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks Don. I am working on a small update at the moment - in between a pile of other things - and will certainly include this in the update package

Country
germany
If i compile a illuminated ground poly it contains the illum_day.bmp only, but not the Texture from the Illumination. What I am doing wrong

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
First, your night texture must only add _LM to the day texture name.

For example, I have a texture in the ADE Textures folder called:

gp_Parking_DriveIn.bmp

and the night texture is also present in the same folder and named:

gp_Parking_DriveIn_LM.bmp

If that is true, ADE GP will copy that texture (along with the day texture) when needed.

If you need to, you can copy yours (correctly named) into your FS scenery's texture folder (alongside the day texture). ADE doesn't need to use it at all to create the ground polygon - it's used automatically by FS.

Hope this helps,

Country
germany
Thanks, but not my Problem.

1. I create a blank ad4 file without other gp
2. I make gp with a illum* file
3. I compile and set the Checkbox Illumination

The result is a model with illum day.bmp and nothing other.

A second Problem

the gp Compiler compiles for every gp with the same layer a single model. In the old Version I had all gp with the same layer in one modell

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Illumination polys are specified like any other GP. You must create at poly shape and specify one of the illumination textures for it - which you seem to have done. Without your ad4 file, I can't even hazard a guess as to what is the issue.

As for the layer number, it's up to you to specify a different layer number if you don't want to use the default.

I am travelling at the moment with only sporadic e-mail access,

Don

Country
germany
Thanks Don,
here my ad4 Testfile. After compilation the model contain only the illum_day.bmp

Attachments

• LGSO_Airport_GI.ad4
    17.3 KB · Views: 185

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Did you check the compile option "Illumination"?

If not, that's likely the problem. But, if you did, since I'm away from my development system (and will be for mst of the balanc of the month), I will be unable to perform any further diagnosis until I get home.

Don

Country
germany
Yes I checked Illumination. If unchecked I have the correct texture, but on day also.
I will wait, no Problem and many thanks Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just uploaded ADE-GP General Release 2.2.03 to http://stuff4fs.com. It resolves some residual issues having to do with fixed size textures discussed elsewhere in this forum over the past couple of weeks. Jon will include it in an upcoming release of ADE. If your rather not wait, you can download the new version from the noted website. You'll find a complete archive . If you are currently running on 2.2.00 or 2.2.01, only the .dll has changed.

Don

EDIT: Please be aware this release applies only to ADE 1.71. It is incompatible with earlier releases

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
here my ad4 Testfile. After compilation the model contain only the illum_day.bmp

overflow, I have tested your .ad4 file against the latest releases of ADE and ADE-GP and can find no issue. Are you using ADE 1.71? If not, the illumination feature is incompatible with whatever version you are using.

If you are using 1.71 (or upgrade to it and still experience the issue), please get back to me and I'll investigate further.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just uploaded ADE-GP General Release 2.2.04 to http://stuff4fs.com. It fixes an issue that affects only P3Dv3 whereby, a compile error was experienced with languages that do not use "." as a decimal separator. Jon will include it in an upcoming release of ADE. If your rather not wait, you can download the new version from the noted website. You'll find a complete archive . If you are currently running on any prior release of Version 2.2.nn, only the .dll has changed.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just posted ADE_GP General release 2.2.06 to http://stuff4fs.com. It resolves a recently-reported issue that bump textures were not properly handled (they weren't).

User's are also reminded that the previous version on the user manual incorrectly stated that specular texture names should be suffixed with "_Spec". The software required the suffix be "_Specular", and the revised user manual included in the archive reflects this.

Have a great weekend all,
Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Not 60 seconds after I clicked the Post Reply button on the previous post, another problem report with the latest development release was posted. Don't bother installing 2.2.06 until I have a chance to investigate the latest report.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Looks like we're back in business with new General Release 2.2.06. If you downloaded it yesterday before it was withdrawn a few minutes after release, please download again.

Don