• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Gmax made the texture messy

Country
indonesia
so i get this problem when im going to give an animation to a ground vehicle car, when i imported the .dae file to mcx, the textures are fine
18699768_810369359114846_6715370691776682476_n.jpg

then after i convert the file to .3ds so i can put it in gmax.... after i animate the model, then i export as .mdl, then i import the .mdl to the mcx and the texture didnt come with the model
18664164_810369365781512_5492359976185439460_n.jpg

any solutions? thx

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
You have to edit your GMAX materials to change the c~1.bmp (for example) to the real name of the texture file. Then export as MDL.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Yes, .3ds format has the old 8.3 file name format eg wingtops.bmp and a longer name like lion_car_exterior_day.bmp would have its name shortened by the .3ds exporter to something with 8 characters maximum plus the 3-letter bmp extension in this case. JPEGs with the .jpeg extension might be shortened to having .jpe instead. Poor old Gmax...

Country
spain
not sure if MCX could edit those textures just changing the name of textures en exporting again. if it's not the case you should reload the model in Gmax and rename the textures there appropriately and save.

Country
indonesia
not sure if MCX could edit those textures just changing the name of textures en exporting again. if it's not the case you should reload the model in Gmax and rename the textures there appropriately and save.

Yep i tried that, still didnt work

Country
spain
could be bad news. when importing in Gmax problably you have to reassing the textures to the objects again. you did it? and check the textures format to be compatible with fsx , 24 bit Bmp or Dds.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

In GMAX it's a very simple process.

1. Load your object.
2. Open the Material Navigator (button with 3 colored balls).
3. On the left make sure the Entire button is chosen.
4. Look down the list for filenames with the tilde ~ in it.
5. Double click the box to the left of the name.
6. Under Bitmap Parameters you will see Bitmap: and a long button with the texture name on it. Click it.
7. Browse to the correct texture (must be a format that GMAX can read - 24 bit BMP, PNG, TGA, etc).
8. Click once on the texture file.
9. Click Open and click the X in the upper right corner to close the box.
10. Repeat steps 4 through 9 until all the way through the list.
11. Save and Export your object.

BTW, if you also double click on the box with each Material name next to it (the parent of the texture boxes), click the Show Map in Viewport button, and click the X in the upper right corner the textures will be displayed in GMAX.

Note that you will need to have another set of textures in FS with the correct FS format (DXT BMP, DDS, etc.).

Country
indonesia
Ok i fixed the problem... So the problem happened if i export the .dae file directly to .3ds, so i tried sto export from .dae-.mdl-.3ds..
It works perfextly, thankyou guys!

Country
indonesia
Ok i fixed the problem... So the problem happened if i export the .dae file directly to .3ds, so i tried sto export from .dae-.mdl-.3ds..
It works perfextly, thankyou guys!

Nice Work, keep it up. Do not hesitate to ask for help and advice. this forum has many expert that ready to give help and advice.

Jangan segan-segan bertanya. banyak para ahli yang siap membantu.