• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Add Specular texture function

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Arno,

That'd be an easy one :) could we have the 'add specular texture' function embedded into the material template drop-down? It's the second most common after the night texture.

I think most people use the *_S.dds
convention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Actually,... the default is "*_specular.dds". This is what FSX uses... but why have it embedded when you can create your own template for such.

Country
unitedkingdom
Actually,... the default is "*_specular.dds". This is what FSX uses... but why have it embedded when you can create your own template for such.

not sure you understood what I mean.
need to create a template that copies the diffuse name into the specular slot with the *_S suffix, like the preset 'add night texture' that Arno has included in the build. Not sure that this can be done from the editor.

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I know what you meant,... specular can be done the same way as any of the other different slots,... specular isn't used as much though,.. unlike the light map (*_lm).,... if missing,... could cause problems.

Country
unitedkingdom
this slowly becomes a pointless thread.

Arno, when you read this, please let me know if you'd like to add this in the presets.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I think that would be a good addition. But I need to know what the most common naming schema is. For night textures this is _lm, but what is the preference for specular textures?

It would indeed need a special template like the night textures, since it needs to look at the diffuse texture name. So you can't create this yourself easily.

Country
unitedkingdom
I normally use _S for specular maps.

Would this be a new ground poly wizard feature? Because I've always wanted that :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
No, this would be for the material editor itself.

The ground polygons use fs2002 style code, which means that advanced features like bump or specular mapping don't work.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi,

I think that would be a good addition. But I need to know what the most common naming schema is. For night textures this is _lm, but what is the preference for specular textures?

It would indeed need a special template like the night textures, since it needs to look at the diffuse texture name. So you can't create this yourself easily.

I think *_S.dds is the most common Arno, at least from what I ve seen from all scenery add-ons

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
OK, I'll go for that then.

And if somebody later complains that he uses another standard I can always add an option to provide your own suffix :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I have added the new material template now, so it will be in the next development release.

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
@arno is there a way to do this as well for bump, detail, etc? Is it possible that we could do this ourselves in the editor? Example: DetailTexture+"_bump"+Extension?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It would have to be coded. I guess _bump and _detail would be logical suffixes?

RicherSims

Resource contributor
Country
dominica
Ok.
If the option for using your own suffixes is to much work, yes, we can assume that everyone uses _bump and _detail.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Maybe I can make the suffix an option as well, let me check.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

The next development release will have this feature. I have added templates for detail, bump and fresnel maps. The suffixes can now also be specified in the options.