1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are There Any Other GP Issues

Discussion in 'Airport Design Editor' started by gadgets, 7 Nov 2017.

1. gadgets

gadgets Resource contributor

ca-britishcolumbia
    Did you create a custom material to tell ADE-GP you want to use those textures?

Don

2. pinkjr

pinkjr

us-texas
    I believe I did Don, cause I also triggered precipitation and changed the specular color to my liking. But I thought the Z Bias entry at the bottom right was not working.

Can I apply material settings to some polygons and not to others?

3. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    If you want to use specular and bump textures, you must create corresponding "materials" with ADE-GP's Material Editor, apply the appropriate material to the applicable GPs and name the texture properly.

If you have not done this, then you know why the textures are not being displayed. If you have done this, please zip up your .ad4 file, your Textures and Textures_Dpy folders and your Texture_Def.txt and Lines_Def.txt files and either post them or email them to don at stuff4fs dot com.

Don

4. pinkjr

pinkjr

us-texas
    Let me try it Don. I will download version 13 as well.

5. pinkjr

pinkjr

us-texas
    Ok Don, stayed up way too late and I'm now paying the price :D

I downloaded GP 2.2.12 (for some reason I thought 2.2.13 was out!).

I compiled my scenery as P3Dv3 with no materials applied and a 2 mm offset. The specular and bump textures were successfully applied and transferred to the sim folder.
    Observations:
    1. the GP with the specular and bump showed a lateral offset, I think someone else had documented that previously (on one of the 20 or so threads I've been following.
    2. any transparency over the "speculated and bumped" base GP will behave according to the base GP. That means they become brighter and darker depending on the shade of the base GP, and may look unrealistic

Following this I compiled with a custom specular/bump material setting applied to the base GP (asphalt) only. The model now has a combination of a base GP with custom P3D material settings applied, and bunch of GP overlays with no 3D material settings applied.
    Observations:
    1. GPs flicker like a MF. Tried increasing the offset during compilation, but it didn't help....the GPs with no material settings applied have no interaction with the base GP. They just like being on top regardless of layer settings, leads to flickering). Experimented with different offsets and different Z Bias settings on the base GP. Z-Bias seems to have no effect (would need to try with 2 overlaying GPs, both with P3D material settings applied). Also played with the custom material parameters, but it did not make it better.
    2.Lateral offset also present only on the GP with P3D material settings applied.

Overall, I think the issue may be blending a GP with a material setting applied, with GPs with no material settings applied. I think it is driving bglcomp bipolar!

David

6. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    It is and you probably downloaded it. The ADE-GP version number is shown in the title bar of the GP Editor.
    Even if you didn't specify any custom materials, the specular and bump textures will be moved to the sim. (The transfer is based on file name only) As to application, ADE-GP assumes that if you've gone to the trouble of creating the extra textures, you will create a custom material to control their application. if you didn't apply a custom material, ADE-GP applies a stock material that should essentially ignore the bump and specular. Perhaps it doesn't.

I need to know the actual material settings to comment specifically. Re your observations, generally, as I said previously, my experience has been that P3d uses z-bias in GPs simply to sort layers and, without an elevation offset, you will get flickering. In your case, the flickering would seem to be between layers, not between the GPs and the ground. As for offset, ADE-GP simply tells P3D what textures to use for a given GP; the rest is up to P3D. ADE-GP has no ability to control how a texture is applied beyond the material settings.

If you send me the file/folders I ask for yesterday, I'll be happy to have a look to see if it prompts any ideas for how ADE-GP might overcome some of those difficulties. I also need the file ADE_GP_Materials.dat. But, like the QMID10 issue at the opening of this thread, I suspect the underlying issue is internal to P3D.

Don

7. pinkjr

pinkjr

us-texas
    Sure thing Don, I will gladly provide it to you. I will upload to my drive tonight and send you a link.

8. Andrew

Andrew

norway
    Without using any fancy materials, a general 10mm offset works well for all my 36 airports. At 5mm, I start to get into flickering.

9. pinkjr

pinkjr

us-texas
    At 15mm flickering improves a lot, but there is still lateral shift.

10. gadgets

ca-britishcolumbia
    David, I've now had an opportunity to look at your files. But, first of all, when I ask you to provide the texture files used at your airport, I expect to receive them all. During compilation of the airport, at least 10 polys were missing textures - each time interrupting the compile process and making a full analysis of the issue impossible. The Textures_Dpy folder you sent contained many more textures than the number of .dds textures (i.e., the ones the compiler needs) you supplied individually - suggesting an incomplete .dds texture set.

That being said, as far as I can tell, ADE-GP is doing what it is intended to do. I have confirmed that the specular and bump textures are being recognized and handled correctly within the MAT3 section of the respective .mdl files and in the .bgl, and you have comfirmed that those textures are copied into the scenery \texture folder. I leave it to you to establish the suitability of the material definitions and adequacy of the specular and bump textures. ADE-GP makes no attempt to analyse the textures/material definitions; it simply uses what you specify. (I note that other users have reported they have successfully used bump/detail/specular textures with ADE-GP.)

In the case of the specific poly I analysed, you appear to be applying an opaque texture with bump and specular at Layer 18 (i.e., zbias -18) and then overlaying it completely with another texture at Layer 20 (i.e., zbias -20). Since you didn't send me the overlay texture, I couldn't determine whether or not it has an alpha channel. In any case, I suggest you ask LM whether or not the underlay should show through. ADE-GP has no control over how textures are displayed by Flightsim beyond the parameters in the material definition.

Because of the missing textures, I did not attempt to find laterally-offset specular/bump textures.

I suggest as a next step, you attempt to create one or more similar GPs with MCX (or some other tool) that display as you expect. If you are successful in resolving the issue that way, send me the .mdls/.bgls so produced and I'll attempt to replicate the situation within ADE-GP.

Don