• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

bgl creation failure

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
When I use models, visibility goes very low (as reported at 700m). Any idea why this can happen (e.g. what could be wrong in my settings) ?
I've already m what visibility I am getting. Perhaps you have some add-on that affects the visibility of BGL_LIGHTS. You should be able to correct this by increasing the number of bulbs.

Ok, but how? I have built the whole lighting system with arrays (so I did not use the elements screens at all). In such a case, how do you define/activate PCL?
You must define PCL from the panel. Or, if you are feeling brave, edit the Library.ini file.

Don

Point taken about PCL.
As for the visibility: I do not know what addon could possibly affect bgl lights, so please help.
For the moment I have reverted to original (stock) halo.bmp in order to be sure that there is a clean basis.

I don't know if I do something wrong when I use models.
Please see the First screenshot. Only the approach lights are using models (all other runway lights are "light only"). As you see the approach lights are barely visible.
The Second screenshot is the opposite rwy with the same approach lights as "lights only".
All lights are same colours, 1 bulb
First.jpg
Second.jpg

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
It appears there is no illumination for the lights in Screenshot 1. I suspect the dim light your are seeing is just the _LM color of the 3D models.

While the 3D model will attenuate the illumination close up, it has little to no affect at a distance.

Instead of sending me pictures (about which I can only guess), please send me your library folder and your airport files.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
As evidenced by the attached screenshot, the lights on runway 14 are visible for over 3 nm on my system. Equal visibility from the other end.

I suggest you take a close look at your add-ons - especially payware (which are sometimes known to do some unusual ( and inadvisable) things to accomplish their own goals.)

Don

Attachments

• SS_004.jpg
    SS_004.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 440
I suppose that this rwy 14 (the "problematic" one).

Any hint on what to look for? What can diminish visibility only when models are used and when "lights only" everything is fine?
If this is an addon fault, it will be an altered stock file, or something that can go away by disabling the addon?

PS
Which stock files can be relevant to the depiction of bgl lights?

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
SS_005.jpg SS_006.jpg I doubt it has anything to do with the models per se. Attached are two screenshots from my CYYJ - one at about .5Nm, the other from over 4nm.

As you can see, the approach lights are still clearly visible in the latter. Every light at the airport has a stock 3D model associated with it. They all use default intensity.

As for what to look for on your system, I have to leave that up to you. As I've already told you, I know of nothing specific that would degrade your BGL_LIGHTs to this extent. But, I do know that some strange symptoms have been reported with several of my applications/airports that have been attributable to the developers of payware airports doing things they shouldn't. I'm not saying this is the case on your system. But a number of people are using AFLT-generated lights and are not reporting similar problems - save for Alan, yesterday, reporting the lights are too bright.

All I can suggest is that you "repair" FSX after disabling all addons an see if that fixes the problem.

Don

As we both see, whatever is "lights only" is rendered correctly. Only the "encaged" lights suffer (in my system).

that have been attributable to the developers of payware airports doing things they shouldn't
Like what? If you can give me a lead from past experience, at least I will have a starting point.
"Repairing" the FSX installation is not the easiest thing (you may well do a fresh install).

But a number of people are using AFLT-generated lights and are not reporting similar problems
That's for sure; it is not something you can miss. It seems that I draw the short stick.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
But, I do know that some strange symptoms have been reported with several of my applications/airports that have been attributable to the developers of payware airports doing things they shouldn't.
Like what? If you can give me a lead from past experience, at least I will have a starting point.
I should have said "my other applications". As I said before,
I know of nothing specific that would degrade your BGL_LIGHTs to this extent.
If I had any suggestions, I'd have already made them.
"Repairing" the FSX installation is not the easiest thing (you may well do a fresh install).
I know of no easier way. You could look at the date stamp of all the FSX files to see if "anything jumps out". They should all be of circa 2006 vintage. But, there are hundreds of files and you'd have to check them all. And, even if you find some suspects, you then have to check the FSX DVD to see if they are "legit".

If you've got access to a second computer, (re-)installing FSX seems like the simplest approach. You might also try posting in other forums to see if anyone has had such difficulty with BGL_LIGHTs. Beyond that, I'm afraid I can't help you.

Don

Creating the object library using FSX models (instead of FS9 ones), I have both bases and lights.
Seems that something goes wrong when using FS9 models. Any ideas on this?

On different issues:
  1. when using "All In One" option, I suppose you have to attach the resulting object to another object in order to be visible, or it can be placed on its own?
  2. how could you use two libraries for the same airport (since all are named by default)?

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Creating the object library using FSX models (instead of FS9 ones), I have both bases and lights.
Seems that something goes wrong when using FS9 models. Any ideas on this?
It would help if you told me what "goes wrong" and how it is wrong.

when using "All In One" option, I suppose you have to attach the resulting object to another object in order to be visible
No. An all in one object is simply the 3d model and the light combined in a single file. It must be placed, by attachment or otherwise, like any other model.

how could you use two libraries for the same airport (since all are named by default)?
As the names imply, one is for the bases, the other is for the lights.

Don

It would help if you told me what "goes wrong" and how it is wrong.
See previous discussion. I have the problem that no lights are visible when I use fixtures (models). Lights are visible only when "lights only" are used.
But, as in post 30, trying to build the library with FSX models (instead of FS9 models, as it was the case in all my previous attempts), now both models and lights are visible.

No. An all in one object is simply the 3d model and the light combined in a single file. It must be placed, by attachment or otherwise, like any other model.
Ok

As the names imply, one is for the bases, the other is for the lights.
I mean to use to different sets for the same airport, i.e. to have half of the lighting in one set (e.g. approach lights) and the other half in another set (e.g. obstruction, taxiway).

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
See previous discussion. I have the problem that no lights are visible when I use fixtures (models). Lights are visible only when "lights only" are used.But, as in post 30, trying to build the library with FSX models (instead of FS9 models, as it was the case in all my previous attempts), now both models and lights are visible.
The screenshots I posted yesterday were using FS9 models with FSX. So, no, I can't shed any more light on the issue.

how could you use two libraries for the same airport (since all are named by default)?
I mean to use to different sets for the same airport, i.e. to have half of the lighting in one set (e.g. approach lights) and the other half in another set (e.g. obstruction, taxiway).
I thought the "you" in your earlier post referred to me.

You're in luck on this one. Only a couple of days ago I added the ability to specify a library name prefix - not for the reason you are asking but it should serve that purpose as well. I'll post it as a development release on http://stuff4fs.com shortly. Navigate to the applications / AFLT page. Give me an hour.

Don

Waiting for the development release, I built my curved rabbit lights. So easy. I do not know how many hours of calculations and trials and errors I saved, compared to using a fx_controller.
And being able to use the models (even as FSX models) is much better than "only lights".
Happy customer here.
Thanks Don.

Country
us-utah

When I hit the "make library" button I unselect all and then either choose the approach lights or the other lights like runway, taxi, etc and make the library file. I then go to the location the just made file is located and change the name to what I want such as Approach lights or 34L runway markings or something like that.

Alan