• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender UV mapping

Country
netherlands
Hi guys,

does someone have a good idea how to UV map a model like mine?
When doing 'project from view', it doesn't look to good. I wonder how others do stuff like this.
As said in the titel, I use Blender (2.75).
Extra 330 wireframe.JPG

Cheers,
Daniël

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi!

If I were you, I'd make a seam at B (and another one at a sufficient place at the bottom), then project the fuselage from view. The area at A can then be manually modified to obtain a correct mapping. So, pull with the verts on the UV sheet until the faces have roughly the same ratios as on the mesh itself.
The area above B can be projected from top view.

upload_2017-5-23_20-58-45.png

Hope that's clear ;) Let us know if you get stuck again.

Daan

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
In 3ds Max, you can map objects from its polygon's normals. If Blender has something similar, try it.

Milton_Shupe

Resource contributor
Country
us-newmexico
I am probably not the best source for an answer here but my approach is to map 4 sides: left, right, top, bottom.

Any poly that is facing the map direction with less than a 45 degree angle gets on that respective map.
So, in the examples, I have selected the right side polys.
It is obvious that the unselected polys bordering the selected ones have angles exceeding 45 degrees and would cause texture stretching.
It is also obvious then where the delineation for the top and bottom maps start.

Attachments

• ms-2017-may-24-004.jpg
    ms-2017-may-24-004.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 329
  • ms-2017-may-24-006.jpg
    ms-2017-may-24-006.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 396
Country
netherlands
Thanks guys! That will keep me busy for a while.

@Dutcheeseblend I guess I should do the same for the bottom of the fuselage? (In essence the same as @Milton_Shupe said)

@Ronald I'll take a look at those videos :)

@Heretic It doesn't sound familiar to me, but maybe some Blender expert knows this?

I'll keep you updated!

Cheers,
Daniël