• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender2FSX scale problem

Country
canada
Hi everyone,
I am fairly new to Blender and Blender2FSX and I have watched and followed krispy1001's tutorials on making a model that will fly in FSX. All the models that I have tried to use in FSX were sunk below the surface up to the base of the wing. I asked Kris for help and he noticed that my little 20 foot long plane was actually MUCH larger than that. I put my model up close to a 45 foot wide building in FSX and my model wouldn't even fit into it. In fact, the tip of the propeller is through the roof and the wing span is about 135 feet (estimating from the size of the building).
I have done a fresh install of blender and blender2fsx(8.6).
Does anyone have an idea that I might try to get the scale of my models to fit into FSX?
Frank

Ronald

Resource contributor
All the models that I have tried to use in FSX were sunk below the surface up to the base of the wing.
If you have:
- created your 3D model with the right internal Blender UNITS (feet, meters) and
- you have selected ALL PARTS and set the Blender SCALE to 1.0
- then exported, you do not have a scale issue.

This phenomena has nothing to do:
- with the Blender SCALE factor of your 3D model INSIDE Blender.
- but everything to do with the value of certain aircraft.cfg parameters

How can this be fixed? Watch Krispy1001 video #7

A - Look at ~13 minutes after the start
Krispy explains here that you need to set the correct distance between:
- THE CENTER of your 3D model (the "origin point" / "the heart" / "Center Of Gravity" , the place where x=0,y=0,z=0)
- the GROUND-LEVEL at the bottom of your landing gear wheels

B - Look at ~29 minutes after the start:
This distance needs to be set exactly in FEET into the 3D models.. AIRCRAFT.CFG file
- section:[Contact Points]
-- parameter: static_cg_height:

NOTE:
- If you make the static_cg_height distance = Contact_points distance , then the tires stand ON TOP of the underground appearing to be rock-hard
- If you make the static_cg_height distance a few inches smaller then the contact_points distance, the tires sink into the ground, just a little, to appear de-flated

TIP: Download my Krispy 1001 Blender2FSX video transcript series over here, so you can quickly browse through the valuable contents of each video:
- http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/blender2fsx-krispy1001-tutorial-video-transcripts.192/

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hi everyone,
I am fairly new to Blender and Blender2FSX and I have watched and followed krispy1001's tutorials on making a model that will fly in FSX. All the models that I have tried to use in FSX were sunk below the surface up to the base of the wing. I asked Kris for help and he noticed that my little 20 foot long plane was actually MUCH larger than that. I put my model up close to a 45 foot wide building in FSX and my model wouldn't even fit into it. In fact, the tip of the propeller is through the roof and the wing span is about 135 feet (estimating from the size of the building).
I have done a fresh install of blender and blender2fsx(8.6).
Does anyone have an idea that I might try to get the scale of my models to fit into FSX?
Frank

In case you model from blueprints make sure they have the correct size in Blender so your plane has the correct size.
I do that by mapping the blueprint onto a cube and giving it the correct size (which often is found on wikipedia or the blueprints themselves).

I'm not a big fan of Blender's background image feature in that case as it is much harder to achieve the right size and impossible to correct the aspect ratio.

hope this helps :)

Country
canada
If you have:
- created your 3D model with the right internal Blender UNITS (feet, meters) and
- you have selected ALL PARTS and set the Blender SCALE to 1.0
- then exported, you do not have a scale issue.

This phenomena has nothing to do:
- with the Blender SCALE factor of your 3D model INSIDE Blender.
- but everything to do with the value of certain aircraft.cfg parameters

How can this be fixed? Watch Krispy1001 video #7

A - Look at ~13 minutes after the start
Krispy explains here that you need to set the correct distance between:
- THE CENTER of your 3D model (the "origin point" / "the heart" / "Center Of Gravity" , the place where x=0,y=0,z=0)
- the GROUND-LEVEL at the bottom of your landing gear wheels

B - Look at ~29 minutes after the start:
This distance needs to be set exactly in FEET into the 3D models.. AIRCRAFT.CFG file
- section:[Contact Points]
-- parameter: static_cg_height:

NOTE:
- If you make the static_cg_height distance = Contact_points distance , then the tires stand ON TOP of the underground appearing to be rock-hard
- If you make the static_cg_height distance a few inches smaller then the contact_points distance, the tires sink into the ground, just a little, to appear de-flated

TIP: Download my Krispy 1001 Blender2FSX video transcript series over here, so you can quickly browse through the valuable contents of each video:
- http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/blender2fsx-krispy1001-tutorial-video-transcripts.192/
Thank you so much for your help and time. I did a re-read of the instructions on getting started with Blender and I totally missed the part about setting the scale to 1. I guess I assumed that doing a CTRL-A set the scale to 1. I missed the little scale box on the right hand side. My apologies for my inattention to basic details.
Frank

Country
canada
Thank you so much for your help and time. I did a re-read of the instructions on getting started with Blender and I totally missed the part about setting the scale to 1. I guess I assumed that doing a CTRL-A set the scale to 1. I missed the little scale box on the right hand side. My apologies for my inattention to basic details.
Frank

Ronald

Resource contributor
Don't worry Frank, we are all here to help each-other. That is one of the main reasons why I have created the Krispy Blender2FSX video transcripts,
to capture those essential details on paper, so that everyone can re-read them, after having seen the video.
Does everything work now?

TIP: This Blender Shortcut key maps/articles will help you master Blender faster and more efficiently:
- http://thilakanathanstudios.com/2015/09/blender-keyboard-shortcuts/
- https://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blender/useful-keyboard-shortcuts.php
- http://www.dummies.com/web-design-development/blender/blender-for-dummies-cheat-sheet/