• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

BMP header is corrupt

Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

When you say "I still cannot see it", exactly what is it that cannot be seen, and in what application ? :scratchch

Are you reporting that you cannot see both the Day and Night image for the custom photo-real aerial imagery at run time in FSX ?

If so, are you also saying that you can see both the Day and Night image for the custom photo-real aerial imagery in TMFViewer ?

And, if so, please report what the highest LOD number is for that BGL in TMFViewer, by navigating:

TMFViewer Menu > View > Level Of Detail

Are you able to see the Day image, but without a blend of the aerial imagery shoreline water into default water class at run time in FSX?

Please post in this thread, your 'current' INF file used with SDK Resample for the source files cited in your latter post above. :pushpin:

GaryGB

Country
australia
Sorry Gary

In my frustration I am not explaining myself properly.

By "I still cannot see it" meant that I could not follow the GIMP help you sent the link to and also could not understand how that might be affecting the problem of not being able to export an image which includes all the grayscale especially as I am following closely Tiberius tutorial. I have started a new 'project' (GIMP file) and the same thing happens yet it doesn't for Tiberius.

I CAN see my day and night images in FSX - NO problem there.

When I exported TIF image (masks) and including them in my INF file I could not see my satellite imagery in FSX. IT was completely missing.

I have noticed that with the blend mask exported as a TIF it displays correctly using (Windows) display BUT if I load it into PSP it displays as completely black.
Also using TIF maks the satellite imaery does not display in FSX. It is as if there wasn't even a satellite image even thought there is a BGL file.

It seems I am between a "rock and a hard place".

Using BMP blend and water masks result in a BGL file which shows in FSX BUT there is no graduation (grayscale) in the blend mask which results in a 'hard' line between the satellite image and the FSX texture.
Usding TIF Blend and Water masks results in a BGL file which does NOT show in FSX but the TIF blend mask shows the correct graduation (grayscale) where I used the 50% brush between black and white areas.

Regarding INDEXED which you referred to, I tried using that (IMAGE>MODE>INDEXED) but when I did (256 colors) I lost all the grayscale even before I exported it.
I also tried converting to grayscale (although in my mind it already was) by selecting (IMAGE>MODE>GRAYSCALE) but when I attempted to export I was advised "Cannot export indexed image with transparency in BMP format alpha channel will be ignored" and when I clicked on OK I could not select 'advanced options' eg how many bits to export in) and the BMP image was created but once again no blending grayscale.

Tiberious doesn't mention anything to check or select when exporting layers as masks apart from "no not include color information" and checking the box for 24 bit.
Do you know of any other settings which I should check?
What is the correct method in reducing the colors to 2 (water mask) and 256 (blend mask)?

Here is my INF file I used with BMP mask images which works EXCEPT I don't get that nice transition/blend between my satellite image and the FSX scenery.

[Source]
Type = MultiSource
NumberOfSources = 4

[Source1]
Type = BMP
Layer = Imagery
SourceDir = "."
SourceFile = "SECHELT EAST COAST.BMP"
Variation = Day
SamplingMethod = Gaussian
ulyMap = 49.4939986289875
ulxMap = -123.757553100586
xDim = 2.68221028645876E-06
yDim = 1.74241501456116E-06
Channel_BlendMask = 3.0
Channel_LandWaterMask = 4.0

[Source2]
Type = BMP
Layer = Imagery
SourceDir = "."
SourceFile = "SECHELT EAST COAST night map.BMP"
Variation = Night
SamplingMethod = Gaussian
Channel_BlendMask = 2.0
Channel_LandWaterMask = 3.0

[Source3]
Type = BMP
Layer = None
SourceDir = "."
SourceFile = "SECHELT EAST COAST blend mask.BMP"
SamplingMethod=Gaussian

[Source4]
Type = BMP
Layer = None
SourceDir = "."
SourceFile = "SECHELT EAST COAST water mask.BMP"
SamplingMethod=Gaussian

[Destination]
DestDir = "."
DestBaseFileName = "SECHELT EAST COAST"
DestFileType = BGL
LOD = Auto
UseSourceDimensions = 1
CompressionQuality = 100

Last edited:
Country
australia
BTW FYI here is a screen shot of my airport and satellite imagery (FSX default scenery is nothing at all) - NOTE this is using BGL compiled using BMP mask (the BMP blend mask which doesn't have greyscale). So annoying.

I guess I could give up on trying the blend the shallow water satellite imagery using grayscale along the edge of the blend mask. IT isn't real noticeable well not that I know. It's just annoying the hell out me not being able to reproduce what Tiberious does in his tutorial.

I have 3 separate satellite areas I am creating - it started with one (just for the golf course) and then I decided to expand that area to include some house and the shallow water on the west side of the inlet and then create 2 other areas, one of the east coast shallow water ONLY and one for the sand quarry on the right. I have deliberately not included more houses as it entails creating lighting effects in the night which I have never attempted before AND adding 3D buildings which at this time I have no interest or time in doing.

sechelt example.jpg

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

Just one initial observation this morning in my Chicago time zone (...no caffeine yet ;)):

The Blend and Land-Water Mask 'Source' path sequences in your INF file above, are Source3 and Source4 respectively.

The Source1 "Channel_" parameter values match those Mask 'Source' paths:

Channel_BlendMask = 3.0
Channel_LandWaterMask = 4.0

However, the Source2 "Channel_" parameter values do NOT match those Mask 'Source' paths:

Channel_BlendMask = 2.0
Channel_LandWaterMask = 3.0

Try this INF with the same Mask source file set, edited so that Source2 "Channel_" parameter values matches those in Source1. :idea:

[EDITED] (...after caffeine ! :p )

Also, remove the "SamplingMethod = Gaussian" parameter value from Source1 and Source2, as that is used only for Masks.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/resample-issue.36895/#post-180274

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
How on earth did I miss that (incorrect channel)

I have worked out how I did it.

Once again it's a mixture of aging eyes and aging brain - more of the latter :censored:

Hopefully I can now use my TIF blend mask as it is the only one which retains the grayscale 'blending' during the 'export'. This is still annoying me (BMP blend mask doesn't retain grayscale)

I am still mystified why the TIF blend mask ends up much the same filesize as the BMP blend mask. I have noticed the properties of the TIF blend mask shows it has a 32 bit depth which is obviously wrong - should be 8 bit). Obviously I am not doing something correctly with exporting the blend mask. I must read through all your replies in "What is the highest resolution" thread.

I will also remove Sampling method Gaussian from the NON mask sources (Source 1 and 2).

Thanks again.

Enjoy Chicago - I bet it is freezing there. A business trip?

added later

added later
I modified my INF file to fix those problems and remove the Sampling method Gaussian from [source1] and [source2] and recompiled (using BMP masks and it looks ok.

ADDED LATER - A REVELATION
It seems that GIMP will NOT export to a BMP with grayscale 'shading/blending' with a layer which has a TRANSPARENT background.
I have been doing much experimenting and started a brand new GIMP 'project'.
I loaded a background (superfluous to this experiment).
I created a new LAYER with TRANSPARENT background selected.
I created another new layer with WHITE background selected.
I drew a thick black line with a 50% brush on both layers.
I exported both layers to SEPARATE BMP 24 bit files. The one created from the 'transparent' layer lost the grayscale 'blending'.
The one created from the WHITE background did NOT lose the grayscale blending.

Is there a way around this? Can RESAMPLE work with a blend mask which has a WHITE background instead of a TRANSPARENT background?

A bigger question. Why doesn't Tiberious have a problem (or does he and doesn't realise it)? I tried to send him a private message but his 'intray' is full.

Last edited:
Country
australia
I have been doing more experimenting and found the following when exporting masks as TIF images for my VERY large satellite imagery (west coast of inlet).

1) The filesize of the TIF files are actually LARGER than the BMP files
2) When I 'preview' (or load into PSP) each of the TIF files (water and blend) they display as completely black images.

Maybe I am not exporting to TIF correctly? I temporarily delete every layer so that only the water or blend layer is displayed. I select it, click on Export As, select filetype TIFF and type in my filename, click on EXPORT, check NONE (compression), leave 'Save color values from transparent pixels' UNSELECTED, click on Export. I understood from previous replies that TIFF maks would result in smaller files. Regardless of that the images are all black. A shortcoming from GIMP I wonder especially as they are such large files?

Country
australia
Have a look at this image.

It is an exported BMP image (converted to JPG to allow upload) with a transparent background and lines drawn with a 25% brush and you you note that the edges between the lines and the transparent background have lost their 'graduation' yet where the lines cross there is graduation.
It seems the Tiberious may never have checked his compile satellite scenery for 'graduation' between his satellite imagery and the FSX default scenery texture. It's a pity as otherwise his tutorial is excellent.

So it would appear (to my humble brain) that the only way of getting a nice graduation between photo realistic and FSX scenery is to use a TIF bland mask BUT I still cannot create (compile) a BGL file using TIF masks which will display in FSX. It would even display in TMFVIEWER yet it compiles without error.
Once again if I use (Windows) 'Preview' both masks display as I expect but if I load them into Paint Shop Pro they both display as completely black images which is probably why the BGL does not display anything in FSX. I have tried exporting as it and also reducing the 'colors' to 2 (water) and 256 (blend) without any improvements.
Are there any special things I need to be mindful of when using TIF masks in the INF file? Please list the 'work flow' for creating TIF water and blend masks (within GIMP) from the layers. How do you get your TIF masks to work?
I have reread some of your replies and still uncertain about the following you have 'said' -

One may use a gradient transparency in a 256 'color' 8-Bit gray-scale bitmap (BMP) or TIFF to "Blend" into adjacent areas of imagery.

To better visualize results of one's edits, it is easier to use an "Alpha Channel" as a 'layer' within the same TIFF image file, although some prefer to use a separate image as either a 8-Bit gray-scale bitmap (BMP) or TIFF.

Whether a 8-Bit gray-scale Blend Mask is used as a Alpha Channel within the same TIFF image file or a separate image file, it must be specified as a Blend Mask in a 'Multi-source' INF.

Do I assume correctly from past replies that you have successfully created BGL scenery files using satellite imagery and TIF blend masks?

red scale.jpg

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

Only have a moment to post this, as it is rather late in my time zone.

In addition to the examples posted by Luis Feliz-Tirado, please refer to the Terrain SDK Resample documentation: :idea:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707102.aspx#Example5Multisource

Technically, BMP files can be encoded and output in a number of different formats by various graphics applications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMP_file_format

However, SDK Resample is programmed to only accept 'specific' types of BMP file formats as source files. :alert:

To minimize risk of incompatibility and to reduce file size, I recommend the TIFF file format be used for Masks in the file formats I have previously cited from online references, and NOT 24-Bit BMPs. ;)

Again, one must configure the work space of a edited copy of the 32-Bit or 24-Bit "Day" image to ex: 8-Bit or 1-Bit:

* prior to export, not 'during' export. :pushpin:

[EDITED]

NOTE: Final output source file format for TIFF Masks must actually be 8-Bit gray-scale; see:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...-scenery-achievable.440912/page-4#post-789447

[END_EDIT]

I shall check back on this thread again tomorrow (Monday). :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
Thanks Gary

I am "no wiser" after reading your reply and viewing the links.

I had already read the Terrain SDK Resample documentation regarding RESAMPLE and could NOT find any reference to the types of BMP files it requires. Regardless I have no idea how to export (from GIMP) a BMP image file from a layer and change the BMP 'type' as it only appears (to me) to output to one type of BMP file.

Anyway I have tried to 'move on' to try and create a BGL file using TIFF files exported from GIMP for my water and blend masks. As previously mentioned they display correct when viewed using (Windows) PREVIEW but not when 'opened' in Paint Shop Pro (they display as completely black).

Looking at the 'mask' examples in the Terrain SDK Resample documentation (in the area of the link you gave and where it suggests that the Multichannel_Multisource.inf file be dragged onto RESAMPLE) both the example TIFF mask image files (BlendMask.tif and LandWaterMask.tif) display correctly using (Windows) PREVIEW and when opened in Paint Shop Pro.
Obviously there is something diffeerence between those examples and my TIFF masks but what? I have tried determining this by looking at the file PROPERTIES but that didn't 'reveal' anything.

Again, one must configure the work space of a edited copy of the 32-Bit or 24-Bit "Day" image to ex: 8-Bit or 1-Bit:

* prior to export, not 'during' export. :pushpin:

I cannot find anything in prior replies or in any tutorial which explains this or how to do it.
I did Google "how to reduce colors to 256 in GIMP" and the answer was to use IMAGE>MODE>INDEXED but when I do that and attempt to export as a TIFF I get the following -

gimp message.jpg

I assume the alpha channel is the transparent part,
I assume but cannot verify anywhere that water and blend masks HAVE to have a transparent part where you want the FSX default scenery to appear and that using any color will not work?

I found a tutorial which uses TIFF masks via GIMP at http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?...to-create-photo-scenery-for-fsx-and-prepar3d/

Following that tutorial doesn't help me.

Obviously I am missing something but nothing explains to me what. And I feel that it has to do with the 'alpha channel' which I know little or nothing. I have used 'chroma key' when doing 'picture in picture' in videos to make parts transparent and know how that works.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

You may well be on the right track: :idea:

https://docs.gimp.org/en/index.html

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-layer-new.html

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-layer-transparency-menu.html

It would seem that Tiberius is creating a "Mask" layer as an Alpha channel within GIMP as a temporary 'work' layer.

IIUC, when all other layers in GIMP are temporarily deleted prior to export as a BMP, this effectively may allow the Alpha channel to be output as a "normal" image, after which it can be interpreted by SDK Resample via the "Channel_" directive parameter values rather than as a Mask.

If one attempts to change the image mode within the GIMP work-space prior to export of a new layer created with an Alpha channel as a means of implementing transparency within the GIMP work session, that is when you encounter the error messages involving Alpha channels.

SDK Resample will encode into the BGL output, variable transparency as a function of Gaussian sampling of Gray-Scale 'colors' in the Blend Mask as a data type and not as an image per se, when it is listed as a separate source in the INF rather than as an Alpha channel.

IMHO, this raises the question as to whether one should 'tick' something other the "Transparency" radio button in the "Create A New Layer" dialog box, when one intends to output a 1-Bit or 8-Bit TIFF ...rather than a 24-Bit BMP. :scratchch

[EDITED]

NOTE: Final output source file format for TIFF Masks must actually be 8-Bit gray-scale; see:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...-scenery-achievable.440912/page-4#post-789447

[END_EDIT]

PS
: Some links on the possible options for this issue of Layer Fill Type versus Transparency:

https://graphicdesign.stackexchange...-default-gimp-transparent-background-to-white

https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-pimping.html#gimp-prefs-display

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...k1j46i131k1j0i46k1j0i22i10i30k1.0.qdam11hKWNc

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
Thanks Gary

I just wished that someone reading this thread would simply reply with a list of EVERYTHING to be watchful/careful when creating mask image files. As mentioned many times I have followed every tutorial "to the letter" (exactly) and cannot achieve desirable outcome.

I don't think that all the links in the world is going to help me as it is just too much for me to try and understand.

It seems that the tutorails I have read/seen MUST be missing important information. Many times I have read tutorials on all sorts of subjects where the author ASSUMES the reader knows more than what is included in the tutorial.
It a bit like a tutorial on say building a house and the author simply says (for example) "use 3 nails on each corner of a joint" but doesn't explain that for a proper (strong) joint, the nails have to be driven in at an angle (scewed) so that they hold the joint stronger he just assumes the reader knows all about that.

I have now read and watched many tutorials on creating photo realistic scenery and while most explain the mechanics of creating the background image using SBuilderX they do NOT explain exactly how to output/export a water or blend mask as BMP OR TIFF image file which works. Sure they may even include an example of their masks as images and they look correct but nothing about how to 'get there'.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Blendmasks and watermasks can be 8-bit grayscale TIF with no transparency. This is what the SDK uses for multichannel_multisource.inf

In the blendmask, white is total opaque, while black is total transparency. Grays are gradations of transparency.

In the watermask, white is ignored and black is water effect (floating, bobbing, reflection). While 8 bit, resample wants white or black, so grays are cut off at 50% to either white or black (no gradations).

Country
australia
Thanks Dick

That is exactly what I suspected (you don't need a transparency and that black is treated as transparent.

The problem though is that unless I start with a transparent background I cannot see the background (satellite imagery). Maybe I will try starting that way and then 'flood fill' the transparent section with the black.

I will try that out soon.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Dick:

Thanks for sharing that, AFAIK, elsewhere undocumented explanation of how SDK Resample utilizes an 8-Bit gray-scale source file submitted as a Water Mask via the INF file. :teacher:

So, IIUC, a copy of the same 8-Bit gray-scale source file (otherwise submitted as a Blend Mask via the INF file) ...may actually be used instead of a "(2)-Indexed color" Black-and-White format source file.

And IIUC, when that copied 8-Bit gray-scale source file is submitted as a Water Mask via that same INF file, Resample will perform a Gaussian sampling, but will 'internally' impose a further reduction / conversion of the data set derived, so that:

* Gray-scale pixel values (RGB 0,0,0) to (RGB 127,127,127) will be interpreted only as (RGB 0,0,0)

...and:

* Gray-scale pixel values (RGB 128,128,128) to (RGB 255,255,255) will be interpreted only as (RGB 255,255,255)

Thus, if one had a 100 Pixel wide span of gray-scale steps along the intended shoreline in such a 8-Bit source file, 50 pixels in from either end of that span would be the "break" or "transition point" when used as a:

* Blend Mask: Transparency is rendered between Gray-scale pixel values (RGB 0,0,0) to (RGB 127,127,127)

This reveals underlying default water class textures assuming one has placed a CVX vector Hydro polygon underneath

This reveals underlying default land class textures if one has NOT placed a CVX vector Hydro polygon underneath

* Water Mask: A water attribute is rendered between Gray-scale pixel values (RGB 0,0,0) to (RGB 127,127,127)

Thus, as water attributes render on top of either Water Class or Land Class textures, we should only use (RGB 0,0,0) in a Water Mask over areas intended to be 'water' ...when creating custom aerial imagery land class scenery !

AFAIK, this is why some (most ?) developers purposely use a separately-created Water Mask using ONLY Black (RGB 0,0,0) and White (RGB 255,255,255) instead of using a copy of their (256 gray-scale step) 'gradient' Blend Mask image ...to be certain that the transition point for rendering of a Water attribute can be predictably positioned in alignment with the shoreline location in custom aerial imagery land class scenery.

Thanks in advance for any additional clarification you may share regarding this interpretation of your post above. :)

[EDITED]

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
australia
I created another layer all white and then selected my original blend mask (complete with transparent area) and did a FLATTEN resulting in a black and white image together with the gray scale blending which converted to GRAYSCALE (in GIMP). Mind you I also did this before with the layer containing transparent area and as it gave no error considered that it worked successfully.
I exported to both BMP and TIF images and they BOTH look great - they appear correct when loaded into PSP.

Now to compile with RESAMPLE - I am very hopeful as the example masks in the Terrain SDK Resample documentation appear to be black and white rather than black an transparent.

Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

I'll be looking forward to seeing how your test of this new work-flow turns out ! ;-)

GaryGB

Country
australia
Hi Gary,

I couldn't keep you (and especially myself) in suspense anymore.
I compiled using my NEW water and blend TIF masks and fired up FSX.
IT WORKS!! Nice blending too.

Well we have both leaned something new. I just knew there had to be an answer BUT what I just don't understand is how those other authors (of photo realistic tutorials using GIMP) got their scenery to work.
Mind you my new BGL is slightly larger than the one created using BMP masks even though the actual water and blend TIF mask filesizes are smaller than the BMP ones.

Now for the work flow again using GIMP (ADDED LATER) I just noticed that you didn't request my work flow but as I had already typed it in I have left it there below.

Open the background (satellite image file created with SBuilderX) with GIMP (which opens the file and automatically creates a 'background' layer.
Add a new layer (right click in the 'layers' window) and enter WATER MASK as the 'Layer Name' and select TRANSPARENCY FILL TYPE of TRANSPARENCY and click OK
Add a new layer and enter BLEND MASK as the 'layer name' and select TRANSPARENCY FILL TYPE of TRANSPARENCY and click OK
Add a new layer and enter WHITE MASK as the 'layer name' and select TRANSPARENCY FILL TYPE of WHITE and click OK. This will be used later to replace the transparent parts of the water and blend mask with color white.

I suggest that you SAVE your work before continuing just in case you accidentally make a mistake with any of the masks.

LOCK all layers except the WATER MASK layer (left mouse click on the area next to WATER MASK under the 'lock' icon which looks like a paint brush. An icon which looks like a link in a chain will appear.
Make sure the BACKGROUND image layer (the filename of the satellite image you opened with) is displayed (click on the area to the left of that layer - an icon looking like an eye will appear)
Do the same for the WATER MASK layer
Make sure no other layer is selected to display.

Select paint brush tool and color BLACK with OPACITY set to to 100 and BRUSH set to 100
Ensure the WATER MASK is selected (left click on it) and also the BACKGROUND image (the filename of the satellite image you opened with)
Make sure the BACKGROUND image layer (the filename of the satellite image you opened with) is displayed (click on the area to the left of that layer - an icon looking like an eye will appear)
Do the same for the WATER layer
Paint out all the areas of water

LOCK the WATER MASK layer and UNLOCK the BLEND MASK layer.
Select paint brush tool and color BLACK with OPACITY set to 100 and BRUSH set to 25 or 50. This will result in a nice blending between the parts of the satellite image you want to show through and the default FSX scenery texture.
Ensure the WATER MASK is selected (left click on it) and also the BACKGROUND image (the filename of the satellite image you opened with)
Do the same for the BLEND layer
Paint out all the areas you don't want showing in FSX

Now comes the time to create MASK image files.

DELETE all layers except the ones named WATER MASK and WHITE MASK (this does not actually delete them unless you click on SAVE so don't do that)
Now FLATTEN the two layers into one - select FLATTEN IMAGE from the IMAGE drop down menu.
You will now only have one layer displayed and all the area of transparency will be replaced with the color WHITE.
EXPORT the image as a TIF image (select EXPORT AS from the FILE drop down menu)
Type in a filename and ensure TIF is selected as output (SELECT FILE TYPE)

You will now have to UNDO all FLATTEN IMAGE and all the DELETE LAYER steps you previously did by clicking on UNDO FLATTEN IMAGE from the EDIT drop down menu and then clicking on UNDO DELETE LAYER from the EDIT drop down menu until all the layers you previously deleted are restored.

Now do the same for the BLEND MASK. DO everything the same as you did to create the water mask file but selecting BLEND instead of WATER.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Congratulations on a satisfying outcome to the learning process; well done, John ! :D

I was confident you could find a work-flow that is successful, and you would benefit from doing it all for yourself. ;)

Thanks for sharing your unique GIMP work-flow, it is a helpful contribution to the FS development knowledge base. :pushpin:

BTW: There are some additional INF file configuration procedures which can be used to output smaller BGLs when compiling via SDK Resample which might merit further discussion here ...if you are interested.

FYI: There are some additional graphics application methods that other FS developers use, which can be used to create 8-Bit Blend and Water Masks when compiling via SDK Resample which shall merit further discussion sometime in the future, within a separate thread.

OK, so now it's time for you to show us a screenshot of that nice new "gradient" blend along your Sechelt shoreline ! :cool:

GaryGB

Country
australia
Thanks Gary,

I now have to go back to my original airport scenery and remove the wave action along the edge of the water as waves would be more likely to break where the water depth becomes shallow (edge of my photo realistic scenery). Actually in such a small inlet there would be very few waves and certainly not like those coming from the open ocean.

Here are some screen shots. The first a 'satellite' view high above the scenery, the second closer to the water and the third an 'outside' view where you can see a nice transition from deep to shallow water. I might 'play' with the gradient more but at present I think that it looks ok.

sechelt1.jpg sechelt2.jpg sechelt3.jpg

Please make suggestions if you like.

added later. Just reread your reply again and regarding 'other methods' to produce smaller BGLs
YES I would be interested. In my many "Google searching" I did notice an INF file which used the LOD 'command' and gave examples of different BGL file sizes for different parameters which I didn't pursue as I was more interested in getting the 'gradient' and TIFF mask images working. Can't remember where I saw it but it did claim that with difference parameters for LOD and a smaller BGL the visual look did not degrade much.
Is that what you meant?

Regards

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi John:

The screenies look good ! :cool:

After modifying your CVX vector shoreline waves, you might try this INF parameter value in your Blend Mask entry: :idea:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707118.aspx

Sample: millenniumimage_water_blend.inf
millenniumimage_water_blend.inf
[Source]
Type = GeoTIFF
SourceDir = "SourceData"
SourceFile = "MillenniumImage_water_blend.Tif"
Layer = Imagery
Variation = Day

; This treats all pixels with a zero in the blend mask as if it were missing.
; This can result in better compression ratios (i.e. smaller .BGL files) if much of the image
; is fully transparent.
NullValue = ,,,,0

[Destination]
DestDir = "Output"
DestBaseFileName = "MillenniumImage_water_blend"
DestFileType = BGL
LOD = Auto

Keep up the nice work ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited: