• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA can't load textures

Country
us-washington
I don't think it would overwrite if preferences are pointing to FS9. Looking at my texture options......... why does it eventually point to FSX\effects\textures? off hand this does not make sense.

Is there a file or a driver that MCX depends on to "SEE" the textures where they actually are? My textures are in the new texture folder (and I can actually see them there when I double check.) - but MCX says "failed to load xxx.bmp (any of them!)

So MCX does not see the actual, physical location of the textures that it itself transferred there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this is not due to a Win 10 update, then it is something I have done inadvertently. The only things I can think of is CC Cleaner (which I have never had a problem with) and AVG which has file cleaner now too. Maybe AVG screwed me up. I do not know if there is a recovery saved file that restores any deleted files by AVG. I think CC Cleaner does. Tried to resort point but that didn't work.

Country
us-washington
I think I might be on to something, and it might not be pretty: I just made an object and when I went to place it.... no textures at all. All black. I fear FSX is messed up or my SDK parameters are. I use FSDS I am quite sure it's options are ok, but will check. If no textures appear in the game then something is seriously wrong. any ideas?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I am sorry if my confusion adds to to it here, but I do not seem to have this issue with default folders because I never use them in the way you guys are describing. MCX/FSX/P3D all default to the folder in which the model resides, in which the model folder resides and in a folder named "texture" adjacent to either the model, or model folder, in that order, when importing a model and retrieving textures. This default scenario covers 99% of situations where I am editing models or scenery and anything else I have to work with, say a project folder to an active scenery folder, I simply navigate to the relevant directories.
It seems like you are loading the object, checking for loaded textures and then throwing your hands in the air, apologies if I am mistaken. You do know that for each material category, for each texture, for each material category, you can navigate to the bump, detail, diffuse, environment, fresnel, nightmap and specular texture folders and that the diffuse is the basic, day time texture? So if you load a model and the surface is textured in checkerboard, you can navigate to that specific texture location and assign it within the Material Editor interface. If the texture is in one of the traditional locations above, it will load immediately. Once assigned and compiled, this texture path is recorded in the model and the target texture no longer has to be in a "default" location. You can load a model from drive "C" and assign a texture from any other location, compile the model and when re-imported into MCX, the model will always call the texture from the location specified. Perhaps the discrepancies you guys experience in relation to FS9 directories is because the models you are dealing with have already had textures assigned to those directories, thereby overriding MCX's selected search path.

Country
us-washington
Rick- As I explained.... I made a simple model in FSDS. assigned textures to it.... looked fine. saved the textures I used and put them into the scenery's texture sub folder as usual. Then compiled the model and put that into a scenery library. Opened FSX and went to said scenery. Opened IS3 and opened the library and chose the model I made. Totally black!!!! done this for years! Now all black. If a model has just default materials (colors- as we really should not do because of frames etc) that model will show fine. ERGO- my FSX is not seeing the textures I use.... any of them. I will try all this with my FS9 copy and see if it the same and report back later.

Country
us-washington
can but it will work for you - not for me. something is preventing my system from seeing textures bmp or dds recently used. things I already made some time ago are ok and show fine.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Wait, so the premise is that it isn't the object or the path, it is the operating system? And this system works normally for older creations but not for recently created work? That does not sound possible. It sounds like you changed your save path and that you are relying on the software to locate these paths by using the texture path recorded in the MCX options.
One thing I notice is that your save paths are to very basic, or fundamental locations; FSX\Texture, FS2004\Texture, etc and while these paths should work, they are not consistent with the standard scenery\texture folder combinations and what this means is that you are deprived of the default load path(s) of: .mdl or .bgl to texture (within the same parent folder), .mdl or .bgl to texture folder (within the same parent folder) and model or scenery folder to texture folder (within the same parent folder). In other words, if you have a model or a scenery .bgl in any of these locations and its associated textures are in any of the other locations, the textures will load regardless of option set search paths.

Country
us-washington
I have changed nothing in options in MCX. Ever since I have had MCX, FSDS, FSX, FS9 I have designed and compiled models the same way. it is only very recently this problem has surfaced. I am trying to figure out what I may have done to cause ANY and ALL of my textures not to be recognized by FSX, whether this is from MCS of FSDS. Whatever it is has happened within the last few weeks.

The issue does not lay in the way I do things here (years of no problems supports that). Outside of these programs I may have clicked on something, deleted something accidentally, or a file cleaner that has caused this.

I have not changed any save path. Looking above you will see that I downloaded and installed a fresh copy of MCX, making no changes in it whatsoever.
also- I made a model, using chosen textures and not dealing with MCX at all and I come up with the same problem. So- I wonder if somehow I have screwed up my SDK. Reasonable assumption at this point, since FSDS and MCX both rely on the SDK.

Country
us-washington
Just tested for FS9. Same problem; so it might not be my FSX SDK since FS9 has its own sdk. Something more serious is going on.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I can say for certain that if you keep doing things your own unique way, you and only you will discover that one of those very unique things has changed slightly. It seems like you would prefer to keep chugging away at established procedures, rather than be distracted by alternative solutions and since I can't test your model or offer a practical cure, I will assume you are posting in the hope that someone who does things exactly the same way has encountered, solved and is willing to report on this condition.

Ok, if it not a save paths issue, did you check to see if you got hit by that blaster worm thing? Maybe all your pictures are being encrypted as you save, until you get rid of it.

Country
us-washington
it is not my own unique way. This is how others have done things, and how so many others have taught me throughout the years. I am not new to this. I will try to post a model with textures I used. I appreciate the help but it seems tome yo think I am doing things in an odd ball manner. A couple of months ago I just got done doing 16 airfields for the guys I fly with. Turned out great.... textures, traffic files I made, lights at night, animation, transparencies, et al.

Attachments

• PACKAGE FOLDER.zip
    133.5 KB · Views: 129

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
It is not my intention to critique your procedure. What I am saying is that I have offered you two clear ways to confirm or disprove this texture anomaly. If you save a model and it's textures to the same folder, or to any of the combinations I listed above, MCX and any other MSFS related software I can think of will open the textures when importing the model, before it looks for them elsewhere, including assigned paths. You did not seem to want to try alternative import/save options. The other way I offered was to explore one of your problem files and from that I can make some observations that I consider to be very relevant, before even examining the files in MCX or sim. The gist of your problem, as you express it, seems to be some sort of prevention for opening or rendering .bmp and .dds format files:
can but it will work for you - not for me. something is preventing my system from seeing textures bmp or dds recently used. things I already made some time ago are ok and show fine.
Ok, here is a screen shot of the contents of the file you uploaded:

package.jpg

Please notice that the only item that has any sort of recent creation date, the "light-tower-rl.fsc," is exactly the sort of thing that, combined with an invalid path, might give the impression that it's textures are somehow corrupt. Otherwise, the most recent creation date is December 2014, which seems to fall beyond the
A couple of months ago I just got done doing 16 airfields for the guys I fly with. Turned out great.... textures, traffic files I made, lights at night, animation, transparencies, et al.
time frame from when this all supposedly worked fine, which implies incongruities in conclusions drawn - and, as expected, the model imports fine for me, with no checkerboards or failed textures:

lighttower.jpg

Bob, I know I am coarse, it's not my intention. If I say something that seems ludicrous, it is probably an attempt to be humorous. I am not saying you are doing something wrong or stupid, I am suggesting you may have drawn some mistaken conclusions. You could humor me; you could do the exact same procedure, open your zip into a folder and drop your .fsc into the MCX window. When the textures don't load, link a screen shot and we'll go from there.

Country
us-washington
btw- yes- checked for viruses, etc. even tried a restore point. I do wonder if there is a Win 10 repair procedure... a file or something. I think something must have been deleted........ by me- accidently. Yes- humor has a hard time coming across in venues such as this.
Notice the black patch. That is actually supposed to be trans. MCX can help with this... of course. I used FSDSTweak to set the stuff. In FSDS that or those patches are trans, rl_blk is the texture. Then in Tweak I associated rl_blk with ground light splash which has its own alpha. I forgot to send that here. did my thing in Tweak then build exterior then park that model in a library and go place it.

Notice the tower? on my side that tower would also be black in my MCX!!!!! btw- if you need or would like those textures and\or model feel free to use them. It was a quick I threw together. Last year I made a nice battleship (BB 55 North Carolina) put it in a scenery, and also on my dgsplash screen.... the one that comes up when FSX starts. So- there's my ship across the top of the screen of FSX. Fun to do, but had to make two Kingfisher float planes. Each are polygon heavy and I had to do two of 'em.... sheesh.

Attachments

• groundshine.zip
    8.3 KB · Views: 147
Rick,

Bob should be used to unsuccessful attempts to be humorous as he is sometimes in contact with the undersigned:).

Cheers,

Roby

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Guys, I'm a bit lost with this discussion.

Mdl files only store the texture name, not the full path. So that's why MCX has to look for them. It uses the search path in the options for that. If model (or bgl) are placed near the textures (e.g. same folder or scenery/texture pair) it should all work fine by default.

I'll try to have a look at the uploaded model tonight to see if I can spot anything from it.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Btw, the uploaded file contains no bgl or mdl file, so which file is being loaded in MCX?

Country
us-washington
Arno- Just did Skype with Roby- RK........... you will love this: AND I LAY MYSELF BARE TO LAUGHTER AND GAFAWS!

As I said above I agreed that it was not the fault of MCX.
Roby and I were sharing my screen.... we went through options...... all was ok. In MCX we were going through the procedure in material editor to associate bmps or dds with models or model parts. Suddenly Roby noticed something............ I had inadvertently misspelled texture... I had it as (texure) - I corrected the spelling and bingo- everything came back.

I usually pay attention to this because I have the onset of carpal tunnel syndrome, which makes my fingers tingle all the time (hate getting old). Knowing this I try to watch my typing.... sometimes I don't and something like this happens.

So- I stand before you, willing and deserving any and all fun-poking at my expense. I figured it was something rather simple but couldn't figure out what.

BTW- rk.... the model I sent.... I used the wrong black. I wrongly chose rl_blk436.bmp when I should have used rl_blk.bmp And that bmp called groundsplash........ that's an old one from years ago..... could have used a better one instead.

Anyway-here's a pic of my BB 55.

Attachments

• screenshot392.jpg
    screenshot392.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 241
Country
us-washington
And thank you both for all your help. I'll do your wives' windows, laundry, and will make sure the toilet seat is always down
!!! ;)

MCX works fine Arno,

It is just that sometimes it is better to be able to share screen on Skype and then watch if something is wrong in the orthography (Washingtonians are not really famous in that respect as they pronounce 'texure' the same way as 'texture'.
I am a bit bothered though about Bob's latest remark about not lowering the toilet seat. I use the sink for that or I go find my favorite tree :D.
As for this carpal tunnel syndrome, good excuse but I have not the faintest because I do not go fishing.
I guess, Rick, Tom, Doug and Arno , that that should be the end of this thread (and thanks for all your efforts).
Skype can solve a lot of things (sometimes).

Country
us-washington
Hey! I resemble those remarks!!!1 hahaha I wouldn't fish for carpal anyway! And... I DO lower the toilet seat otherwise it's war at my house! But then- yes- a good tree works every time. The world is our bathroom. ;) Yep- and some people say breffest instead of breakfast. ;)