• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Error ActiveX

Country
us-indiana
:scratchch
I just downloaded "Library Creator XML" and when I load it I get an error;
---------------------------------------
Run-time error '429':
ActiveX component can't creat object
---------------------------------------

P.S. I also get this with CAT.

Please help,
Thanks

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have never seen this error before, so I will have to look into it.

Do you get the error right after you start the program? Or do you have to click some button first to get it?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, the VB6 runtime components are needed. But I can't remember where I have used an ActiveX component, so I have no idea which part is causing the error.

Please try to install the VB6 runtime and if that does not help, I can try to make a full install version of the tool.

Country
us-arizona
Arno, I'm getting emails about the same kind of error with my new program. Of course it doesn't come up on all computers and I've been unable to pin down what's unique about the ones that error out. There are a quite a few references on the Microsoft website about that error but I've found their fixes don't seem to be valuable. Bottom line is that VB6's Package and Deployment tool is crap and requires the programmer to have in-depth knowledge of all the possible workstation configurations that the app might possibly be installed on which is completely unrealistic. I'm fighting a similar issue at work where we have ultimate control over the disk image on the workstations.

Some of the users have told me that removing references in the setup.lst file to certain troublesome .dll and .ocx files has let them get past the errors. That solution doesn't set well with me since you can't apply it globally. Some of those files may simply be necessary during install on computers that have never referenced or installed the dll or control. My guess is that some recent security patch released by Microsoft has rendered one or more of the stock reference files from VB6 incompatible. Of course Microsoft has thrown their entire focus on VB.NET and could care less about us software engineers that have devoted years of our careers mastering VB6. Bill Gates needs to be slapped up side his head.

Art Martin

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Art,

Thanks for this additional info.

I must say that with most of my tools it has not happened often. A hand ful of users in general have problems like this (until now I never released a setup program with the tool, just the exe).

If this new version of Library Creator XML has more trouble, it might be due to the additional features I have added in this latest version. So that might give me a clue on where to find them.

Country
us-arizona
Arno, there's a new service pack upgrade to VB6 (SP6) and from preliminary testing at work, it seems to cure the 429 errors. You might want to download it.

Art

Country
us-indiana
I have used VB5 for some time now and know that almost all tools (i.e. Text Boxs, Labels and such) are sometype of OCX file. If the ones you used don't match the ones on the person that downloads your program then there will be errors. I always use an installer that all files, OCX, are including.

Just my two cents worth,

P.S. I am going to install the VB6 runtime now, will post back later and let you know.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
OK, thanks for trying. I will create a full installer and post it. Then you can see if that solves your problem.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I don't know if the installer helped, but it has been removed now.

The new version of Library Creator XML comes with an installer by default. I hope it will prevent problems like this in the future.