• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSB Audio

Country
australia
Last edited:
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
FSBs are fmod files. I think they might have some free tools you can use to create them, but I haven't tried and don't know much about them.

Country
unitedkingdom
You can easily add your own music to Flight by rebuilding the FSB files using a special method which I discovered. If you are interested, I could release a tutorial on it... :)

The newest FMOD designer doesn't work with rebuilding FSB's. Voice recordings are held in the .OGG format so cannot be opened.

Country
australia
Just been getting my head around the sound files for the aircraft themselves, i.e. internal and external aircraft sounds :) Steve do you know if the move to FSB's helped performance? I'm guessing because the audio is now MP3 based that it should reduce the audio performance cost compared to WAV whilst offering some quality improvements.

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have no idea. I don't see how MP3 helps performance or quality over WAV though. WAV is uncompressed, and MP3 is a lossy compression that requires CPU cycles to decompress. I guess it really depends on which is your bigger bottleneck, CPU or disk IO. The majority of the decisions to use middleware were because it was faster and cheaper than trying to do it ourselves. The team that developed Flight was less than a third of the size of the FSX team, so we had to take advantage of the experience and support of middleware to be able to focus on the Flight specific featureset.

Kavinda, is there no older version of the FMOD designer that works. I thought when I first started working on the toolkit they had a version for download that was similar to the Flight version, but I never got a chance to try it out.

Last edited:
Country
australia
I was thinking the same thing. I remember back in FS2002-2004 how a few of us tried compressing the FS drive/folders and found performance gains in some areas but reduction in performance in other areas. It does all come down to what is the biggest bottleneck.

Country
unitedkingdom
I've got a version that works - somehow... I've tested it and managed to get the Menu music from the beta version of Flight to work with the current version + custom .MP3 music.