1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FSX:SE General 3ds Workflow

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by DecoFox, 13 Apr 2017.

1. DecoFox

DecoFox

us-alaska
    Alright, I see, the problem was I'm an idiot. In my defense, it's a little odd that airwrench works backwards from a few of its parameters while developing others procedurally, but I guess it makes sense given what the program can and can't reasonably know. Got it figured out. Once I'm through with the FSX version of this I think I'll make an X-plane version as well; I'm curious to see how closely a blade element model resembles the .air I came up with, and will post results when I get to that.

In the interest of helping out googlers from the future, my issue had to do with inadvertently forcing airwrench to create dynamics for an unreasonably slow airplane because I was under the impression that the top speed variables were procedural like the stall speed variables. They are in fact static targets that airwrench adjusts induced drag (and possibly other things) to meet.

2. DecoFox

DecoFox

us-alaska
    Update: Things have been going pretty well

[​IMG]
    My exterior animations are finally sorted out, the internal control animations are in (save a buggy throttle), and I've been playing with sound design to moderate success. Most everything I'm working on now I know how to approach, save this bit of panel work.

[​IMG]
    Panel Bumpmaps are excessive (easy fix) but nicely lit

[​IMG]
    Panel washes way the hell out when exposed to artificial light, including the parts that don't actually have anything bumpy painted on them (the flanking wood).

I recall having seen this issue in other addons so I suspect it isn't completely resolvable, but I'd like to know for sure. The bump map could be scrapped without much loss if necessary, but I'd definitely rather keep a more reasonably bumpy version of it.

antaris likes this.
  3. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    Cool looking plane! You are really going far on this, especially on Materials.

4. kalong

kalong

indonesia
    wood texture bump map too high and rough, need to reduce.

5. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    That's exactly what he said in that post. :)

6. DecoFox

DecoFox

us-alaska
    Thanks. In the end it's probably not to my credit, but I'm very bad at starting basic. Usually I end up throwing myself at a new skill because I want something I know I can't get unless I do it myself. Definitely not the most streamlined approach to learning things, but it's dragged me through most everything I can consider myself good or serviceable at these days.

Kind of surreal hearing it from you. I remember flying lionheart aircraft at about ten years old; I wouldn't have dreamed of doing something like this back then. You ought to know you helped fuel another decade of sim obsession, a private license, and whatever this thing is.

Already fixed the hideous slime wood; haven't figured my way around the wash out though. I did find that allow the fresnel ramp its diffuse check mark appears to correct the issue, but at the cost of a completely black material. The bumpmaps will light correctly that way though.

7. Paul Domingue

Paul Domingue Resource contributor

us-maine
    Have you considered baking a light map in Max? Something I've seen others do with great success and which I intend to try on my latest project.

8. lionheart

lionheart

us-arizona
    I want to try that as well.

lol... Hope they were fun planes. My teacher was Bill Lyons, and a lot of these guys. So from Bill to Bill to you....