• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

GeoSketch for Prepar3D

Country
ca-quebec
Just letting developers know of the availability of the GeoSketch application in the Prepar3D MarketPlace. Product details can be found at this page: http://www.prepar3d.com/geosketch/ .

Basically it is a tool that allows you to create 3D, textured buildings from aerial imagery and export these into Prepar3D.

GeoSketch is a plugin to Google Sketchup that adds functions to import oblique and NADIR images, and quickly construct textured 3D polygonal models from them. The models can then be exported from Sketchup for use in Prepar3D simulations. In addition to tools for lines, rectangles and arcs, GeoSketch adds complex “knowledge-based” primitives such as pitched roof buildings. The tools encapsulate knowledge of pitched roof configurations to minimize the interactions required to construct the geometric model, and apply either GeoSpecific or GeoTypical textures. The primitives are created as manifold groups in the Sketchup model, so the modeler can take advantage of the Solid Tools introduced in Sketchup 8.0.

GeoSketch adds a custom inference engine to Sketchup, specifically designed to speed the modeling process. For example, when observing the edges of a building in an oblique image, the edges of the building will not appear to be perpendicular in the 2D space of the image. The GeoSketch inference engine calculates how the edges project into the 3D modeling space, allowing the modeler to “snap” the edges perpendicular. The custom inferencing is also extended the pitched roof primitives. For example, the inference engine will detect when a roof section is perpendicular to a previously constructed roof, and when the eaves of the roof section match the eaves of an existing roof. GeoSketch also adds a new feature to the inference engine: by holding down the Ctrl key, the modeler can temporarily turn off inferencing during construction, giving them more control on the placement of the geometry.

For more information and tutorial videos, please visit TacForge GeoSketch’s YouTube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/TacForgeGeoSketch

Regards,
John Nicol
Prepar3D

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I could get lost for days just admiring the tutorials for this very interesting tool!

Thanks for posting!

Francois

FSDevConf team
Country
italy
I just wish they'd record the tutorials in 1080 HD so one can SEE what is actually discussed... or is it my eyes ?? :p

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
No, it's not your eyes old friend. I had to play the tuts on my 42" sim HDTV monitor and still the text was fuzzy and illegible. :rolleyes:

Francois

FSDevConf team
Country
italy
Phew !!! That's a relief.

In a way, that is. Because I'd expect something a little more more professional from Prepar3D, being Lockheed and all.... :)

Country
australia
Very nice! I've been itching to get my hands on a tool like that for a long time :)

Last edited:

Francois

FSDevConf team
Country
italy
Been using it to make the roofs of the new Flying School with it. Very nice tool !

Francois

FSDevConf team
Country
italy
LOL, but the chairs aren't mine. That's a guy with the SAME NAME as me, but a different profession.