• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Help please with Dark Metallic Textures from Substance Painter to Blender to MSFS.

Country
unitedkingdom
I changed the output for the Normal Map from OpenGL to DirectX, but the textures are still dark.

I have attached the Albedo, Metal and Normal textures for the Outer Canopy.

Can anyone see what is wrong with them?

OutputTemplatesNormal 24May21.JPG

Attachments

• T188AftCanopyOuter_metal.png
    T188AftCanopyOuter_metal.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 100
  • T188AftCanopyOuter_normal.png
    T188AftCanopyOuter_normal.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 101
  • T188AftCanopyOuter_albedo.png
    T188AftCanopyOuter_albedo.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 105
The files look okay to me. But then, your screenshots looked right to me as well. Your material looks like it is close to 100% metallic with 0% roughness. It is a mirror that is tinted gray. The top side of the plane is simply reflecting the sky, and your gray albedo texture will make the reflection look darker than the sky. When you put clouds above the plane, it no longer looked dark, because it was reflecting white clouds rather than a solid blue sky. If you are going for more of a bright chrome texture, try making your albedo lighter. P.S. Your normal texture looks correct now (DirectX), but you won't see much of a difference since there is not much going on in the normals of this material anyway.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Tango amazing work there, is it the same model you had for P3d, enjoyed flying that one though a bit overpowered in V5. How's the msfs version getting on?

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi robjos1,

Thank you. I'm still learning and working on the MSFS native version of the Bristol T188. Progress is slow due to work commitments and the normal MSFS update setbacks.

I did manage to visit Cosford last year though and see the actual surviving aircraft which helped with some areas where I needed greater detail. I also completed further research on the T188 and now know what the missing cockpit panels and gauges are.

I'm currently working on improving the cockpit textures and functionality.

I still need to learn and understand FX and how to add the reheat visuals and stages. Simple non-visual reheat thrust is working and supersonic flight can be reached, but I am experiencing control reversal at times during supersonic flight. A visual braking chute can be deployed, but I need to add some braking effect. I also need to understand and begin adding custom sounds.

T188 11Jan22.JPG

Country
unitedkingdom
Wow she's really looking amazing, you really managed to nail the stainless steel look - big improvement on P3D! some nice cockpit textures will really bring things up to msfs level. Hopefully you manage to sort out the flight model. Looking forward to flying her. If you ever decide to make another classic british test aircraft - and I know this one is work enough in and of itself, would be amazing to see a Fariey Delta 2 in the sim

Country
unitedkingdom
I have the Delta 2 on my list of aircraft to do and took some photographs while I was at Cosford researching the Bristol T188.