1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is FSX Dying

Discussion in 'General chat' started by hendrik357, 5 Dec 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gman

Gman

us-california
    Sorry, the update part went over my head, I thought you bought a new card.

Have you considered re-installing the previous driver, not all driver updates work for all computers. If the previous driver worked - the Nvidia site should have it in an archive - you could try downloading and installing it, and then hope they do better with the next update. If it worked before the update, the previous driver should work now too.

I have had things like that happen with Nvidia updates, one driver didn't work, but the previous one did, and the following one did too. And.. it seems that screen resolution warnings or inability to set the screen resolution was one of my problems at some point. I have had maybe three Nvidia driver update fails EACH with two different Nvidia video cards. Out of the six fails, I think I solved the issue twice by re-downloading and re-installing the update.

If there are a lot of people affected by that particular release they will know it soon enough and update it again. You may even be able to use system restore if you auto-saved prior to the update, but I would check the archive before doing that, and maybe even re-download and re-install the "bad" update first.

Good luck
    Gman

2. hendrik357

hendrik357

us-washington
    This is something I do not quit understand........... I just turned on my pc (I did not make any changes to anything) I started FSX went to a flight, checked my display settings and now it shows the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M is now working again. My frame rates are up to 42 and graphics are great. I dont know what this means. Perhaps at 62 I still do not have all the answers LOL!!

Dan C.

3. Ramjett53

Ramjett53

us-idaho
    On the day I was born many, many years ago I started the long and inevitable journey toward death. On the day the very first customer placed the very first disk of the FSX box install in to his or her computer, FSX started it's inevitable journey toward death, but...like me...it ain't dead yet. But it, also like me, started "dying" the day it was born. Kind of like a brand new car off the showroom floor. The moment you drive it onto the street the first time it becomes nothing but used parts. That 2017 F250 4X4 pickup is filled with used parts just like my 1971 F100 4X4. The 2017 parts just aren't as "used". Same thing with FS2004 and FSX. I enjoy my 1971 Ford, and FS2004, and FSX still today and hopefully for a long time yet.. Heck there are still simmers out there using FS2002 and earlier and getting just as much enjoyment out of it as I am with FS2004 and FSX.

Randy

4. WarpD

WarpD

us-ohio
    An 860M is a video system for a laptop. I have never seen one as a video card that can be installed as they are typically integrated into the motherboard of the laptop. Is your system a laptop?

5. hendrik357

hendrik357

us-washington
    Yes it is. When I purchased the laptop I had the 860M installed on the computer. Sorry I forgot to mention my system is a laptop. As of yesterday I opened FSX and to my surprise the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M card is working again. Out of curiosity I turned up my frame rate slider to 73, I am getting frame rates between 65 and 73 consistently. It could be I just needed to restart my pc after installing the update to the video card. Anyway it seems to be working and working better than it did.

6. hairyspin

hairyspin Resource contributor

unitedkingdom
    You mean after installing the update to the video driver software: many updates don't take proper effect until after a restart. Good to hear you're back in business.

7. hendrik357

hendrik357

us-washington
    Yes, right after installing the update to the video driver software I did not restart my computer.It seems as though everything is back in shape. I have been using FSX for about 5 or 6 years. I enjoy creating scenery and scenery objects and recently I started using the Airport Design Editor, that is quit an interesting program. I want to thank you and everyone here for their comments and advice!!

Gman likes this.
  8. Paul Domingue

Paul Domingue Resource contributor

us-maine
    Just now read this thread and thanks to the OP for giving me a good laugh with his first post. That may sound callous but we have all been there.

FSX is not dying but it is stagnant. Any improvements will have to go by an other name, P3D?

Get rid of Windows 7 and get with the times, Windows 10. I have maintained my allegiance to Microsoft's Windows and it has never failed me, well almost never. :p I sincerely believe that will fix your graphics card issues with FSX.

For those disgruntled people who enjoy deforming the name of Microsoft with variations using the $ I say, buy a Macintosh and go away.

Microsoft is one of few things I have faith in. :teacher:

9. =rk=

=rk=

us-washington
    Huh. In 2016, the new W10 update forced it's way into my computer, I think it was sometime in August. From my W8 installation, it placed all software that was non-default into a folder called Windows.old. I was very intensely into graphics work and scenery creation at the time and none of my linked software worked, because the paths were not correct from that location. So I moved some of my software back, Autodesk 3ds Max, Photoshop, etc. The next time the computer rebooted, it restored all my software to the original locations, except what I'd already moved, that was apparently overwritten, lost forever. It was a heavy blow as I had few backups. I lost a lot of software and work for that. Understandably, perhaps, I was reluctant to move anything else out of Windows.old for fear of losing it as well. You already know what's coming, huh.
    About 6 months ago, less than a year into the whole W10 thing, was a major update, "the directors build" or something. Whelp it updated the contents of Windows.old to exactly a default configuration of the previous build. All my personal data of approximately 15 years accumulation was deleted in a single operation. I was livid, tech support further degraded the data and my dignity by insisting on rollback and restore operations that simply served to over write what data had already been stripped of it's address. I used disk scanning software to recover about 80% of my original files. I have seen compounded windows.old.old folders in my own installations but all tech support really wanted out of me was categorical information about the breach such that they could protect their liability; presumably, they wanted to know every detail about the situation and then they referred me to a fee based support service.

10. hendrik357

hendrik357

us-washington
    That sounds like a lot of trouble and heartache. I too enjoy creating scenery and scenery objects for FSX. For the reasons you stated I am leary of getting rid of Windows7 and moving to Windows 8. I am not that computer savvy and don't want to find myself "up to my ears in alligators" with problems I wont even begin to know how to overcome. I am going to stay with W7 as long as I can at least for now since my system is running alright again.

I took a quick look at your sketch up warehouse. Looks like you are doing a lot of interesting things. Are any of your models usable in FSX? And if so how are they installed?

11. Paul Domingue

Paul Domingue Resource contributor

us-maine
    Sorry you had all those problems but there are ways to protect yourself.
    Keep your OS on a separate drive, from your work software, files etc. and backup work to DVD/CD often.
    Windows.old is left over system files from a previous installation when upgrading rather than doing a clean installation. If the upgrade was successful Windows.old can be removed.

12. =rk=

=rk=

us-washington
    This is kind of a tagline for Windows and it seems to be much more common on the PC forums than on the Mac ones.

13. hendrik357

hendrik357

us-washington
    Paul I have a question for you......... Why is it we do not see the kind of things in your warehouse available for use in FSX? I have longer to see things like sam missile more ground military systems. My learning kirb has not reached a point to be able to build such things myself although I would love to build a flyable ICBM for FSX. I have built some mining structures and a number of other static objects. I have a small library of objects I want to upload to flightsim.com but before I do that I would like to get at least a couple of people who would beta test it to be sure it works right. I will open another post to ask for beta testers in the near future.

14. kalong

kalong

indonesia
    I use laptop all this time, use discrete graphics Nvidia GT 650M. several time being update the graphics, as state on first post and my experience, not every driver version are compatible with mobile graphics version. now I use nvidia version 359.06, it run well in FSX and P3D v4

15. =rk=

=rk=

us-washington
    If you refer to my Warehouse link, many of the items in that category are there because they've been converted to be used in FSX sceneries. My largest project, 3 islands in the South China Sea, got a little out of hand and I've taken a break, hopefully a temporary one. Not all the sceneries have the best frame rates, as most of them represented learning experiences; however they are all packed with details and except for redistribution, I encourage people to explore and edit my work.

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=rick+keller&CatID=root

Something I did for Aerosoft's Kamchatka:
    [​IMG]

SCS:
    [​IMG]

(Reality):
    [​IMG]

16. Heretic

Heretic Resource contributor

germany
    And that's why my OS drive is kept to a bare minimum in terms of personal, project, etc... files. I've reinstalled Windows way too often in the past (pre-Win 7) to fall into that trap again.

17. hairyspin

hairyspin Resource contributor

unitedkingdom
    Bjoern, never underestimate the unwillingness of some to learn from others’ mistakes. We’ve heard it all before, but do we take heed? Nope.

18. Gman

Gman

us-california
    You're right Tom, we cruise along figuring it will never happen to us.
    I imagine many flies have arrogantly thought the same thing just prior to meeting up with the flyswatter.
    After losing my FS9 Gmax source files for ChopperWorld in a hard drive crash, and then spending many months reverse engineering the entire package in MCX and then updating it all for FSX, I then backed up the source files on a CD, on two separate external drives, on Onedrive AND on Googledrive.

The FSX update of ChopperWorld was going to happen no matter what, but the *painstaking recovery and conversion to usable project files was a time consuming nightmare, so from now on I will try to stick with the ounce of prevention, the pound of cure is a lesson I don't need to repeat.
    *Many thanks to those members whose advice helped me through the ordeal, and to Arno for MCX.

19. =rk=

=rk=

us-washington
    Mac converts do, yes. How naive.

20. Heretic

Heretic Resource contributor

germany
    That's what I like about the "rolling release" system used by some Linux distributions. It'll constantly keep you on your toes regarding possible issues.