• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Level Of Detail (LOD) with Blender

Country
malaysia
Hi,

I tried to create Level of Details (LOD) but it seems doesn't work in sim.

Situation:
I want my approach light look brighter at far and when moving towards the runway, it should be less bright. So, i created LOD as below:

LOD 1.PNG

The default model will be on LOD_100. Just the light plane size will be differ as below:

LOD 10 light plane (8.5 m):

LOD 10.PNG

LOD 50 light plane (5.5 m):

LOD 50.PNG

LOD 100 light plane (3.5 m):

LOD 100.PNG

Please advice me on this.

Thank you.
Manochvarma Raman

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
did you check "export animations" on export?
That's necessary for LODs to work, even if there's no animation in the model.

Country
malaysia
did you check "export animations" on export?
That's necessary for LODs to work, even if there's no animation in the model.
Yes I have checked it when exporting.

Export.PNG

Suppose at far it should have brighter effect since the light plane is bigger. But now when we are far from the model, none of the light appear, when moving towards only LOD100 light can be seen.

Ronald

Resource contributor
Have all textures been converted into the same .dds format?
Can you post in-sim screenshots of the testresults?
What make, model flightsimulator are you using?
If you are exporting to MSFT-FSX, what are the value's of your Display settings inside your sim under the:
- [Graphics]
- [Scenery]
tabs?

Country
malaysia
Hi Ronald,

Have all textures been converted into the same .dds format?
Yes, all the texture are in .dds format. Actually i am using the similar light plane and just duplicate and scale it to bigger size as in post #1.

Can you post in-sim screenshots of the testresults?

Screenshot (120).png
Screenshot (121).png

What make, model flightsimulator are you using?
MSFT-FSX:SE

If you are exporting to MSFT-FSX, what are the value's of your Display settings inside your sim under the:
- [Graphics]
- [Scenery]
tabs?
Settings.PNG

Should the LOD empty in cube or can be 'Plain Axes' empty too?

Country
malaysia
Hi Ronald and Dave,

I found the problem is with the normal. It is flipped away from the original plane I duplicated. After correcting the normals, it work perfectly ;).
Thanks for your concern about this matter.

I have a question here. What will be the last LOD so that the light always can be seen from far? Something like it wont off at all time. Because, after LOD5, the light off and it is not the way approach light should work. Aircraft should be able to see the light from far itself.

Last edited:

Ronald

Resource contributor
What will be the last LOD so that the light always can be seen from far?
According to the ESP-SDK, "Triangle Counts" table over here: ( https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526974.aspx ) "LOD5" is used to display the object's properties, when it at the greatest distance away from the current viewpoint.

You need also to take into account that the Earth is round, so you can not see the light "forever".

Country
malaysia
You need also to take into account that the Earth is round, so you can not see the light "forever".

I am aware of this Ronald. What i mean is, at least there is light shown from certain distance. What i got when using LOD 5 is, the light off after some distance (not even 1.5 km from the model).

The light is always on when i did not use any LOD at all. So, i want the smallest LOD to play the light something like when we do not use LOD at all. Any suggestion for that?

Last edited:

Ronald

Resource contributor
So, i want the smallest LOD to play the light something like when we do not use LOD at all. Any suggestion for that?
Here you are giving your own answer.. LOD-lights eventually will dis-appear when you are out-of-its-visual range.

NOTE: I'n not a scenerybuilder (yet), so perhaps other individuals with scenery building experience know better solutions!
What I would try is to put a 2nd - independent - light source on about the exact location of you LOD-capable lightsource and test how that works out.
Vary with its 2nd light-source illumination strength, size and/or intensity to get desired visibility and lighting-range.

Country
malaysia
Here you are giving your own answer.. LOD-lights eventually will dis-appear when you are out-of-its-visual range.

NOTE: I'n not a scenerybuilder (yet), so perhaps other individuals with scenery building experience know better solutions!
What I would try is to put a 2nd - independent - light source on about the exact location of you LOD-capable lightsource and test how that works out.
Vary with its 2nd light-source illumination strength, size and/or intensity to get desired visibility and lighting-range.
Thanks for the suggestion Ronald. That makes sense too. ;)

Country
malaysia
Hi,
I am having similar issue now. I have my taxi light LOD working in MCX but its not working in Simulator. What might be the problem?

1.JPG

2.JPG