1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.MDL file is invalid for model created with Prepar3d V2.2 SDK

Discussion in 'Library Creator XML' started by fabs79, 9 Jun 2014.

1. fabs79

fabs79

germany
    Hi,

I´m completely new to scenery design and wanted to start by creating some simple custom models with SketchUp, exporting those to a .dae file which I then converted to a .mdl file using the newest version of ModelConverterX - unfortunately, the models created with this method are considered invalid by Library Creator, so I don´t know how I could use them within Prepar3d V2.2. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Fabian

2. arno

arno Administrator Staff Member FSDevConf team Resource contributor

netherlands
    Hi,

Do you have also have the latest. Library Creator XML development release? Older versions don't support P3D mdl files indeed.

3. fabs79

fabs79

germany
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I downloaded Library Creator XML just 2 days ago, so it should be the latest version. Model Converter X I downloaded about 6 weeks ago, Version 1.3, should also be the latest one. But I noticed that Model Converter X does not detect my Prepar3d V2 SDK paths although I did a regular installation of it without any error messages. Also, in the options menu of MC X, there isn´t even an option to link Prepar3d paths, so I had to link the FSX paths to the Prepar3d SDK files like bglcomp etc. The Converter Wizard also doesn`t have an option for Prepar3d files - maybe that is a problem too. But as I said, I downloaded the latest versions of both programs and was wondering why no Prepar3d options show up. Maybe I´m doing something completely wrong.

Cheers, Fabian

4. arno

netherlands
  5. fabs79

fabs79

germany
    Thank you so much, I´ll try that and report back.

6. fabs79

fabs79

germany
    It worked! I recompiled my objects, added them to a library, copied that to Prepar3d Addon Scenery folder and now I can place them using Instant Scenery 3. Now I only have to find a way how I can make the default bridges disappear under my custom bridges, exclusion rectangles don`t seem to affect those. Guess there`s still a long way to go. But until then, thank you very very much for your help!

Regards, Fabian

7. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    Hi,

You need to create a terrain exclusion polygon, and exclude the layer that includes the bridges.

8. hesynergy

hesynergy

us-kentucky
    Hey Fabian, congrats!

It looks like you're trying to do precisely what I am but you're successful and I am aint ...least so far. I am wondering, why you were using library creator XML, instead of libraryMaker from I S III?

Also I'm not sure that I am probably referencing the needful resources within MCX. Could you compare my config to yours? ARNO? I know that there are a couple of path screw-ups after I installed it because some of my files are over 10 years old. I corrected the ones on the FS related section.

Thanks

Chas

Attached Files:

Last edited: 15 Aug 2014
  9. arno

netherlands
    Hi,

Of course I don't know where everything is installed on your machine, but at first look these paths seem ok. If you will only export to P3D you don't have to worry about the paths for older versions.

10. hesynergy

hesynergy

us-kentucky

Thanks Arno!...appreciate that look see.

note:new Dev version of MCX takes a default path for FX 2004 which is C:\that's not where I have my install of 2004.

Chas

11. hesynergy

hesynergy

us-kentucky
    Here's the weird thing,

I have converted virtually all of the models that you see here, in p3Dv1.4, into FSX .bgls in the convert & place wizard of modelConverterX, DEV version.

None of them are we're converted P3D V2 and yet all of them show up MY P3dv2.2. The reason why I did not use the conversion to P3Dv2, is that the post office and gas station is the first thing I tried to convert and place, and it did not show up using the option for P3dv2.

It DID show up in the FSX Output option , SO I CONTINUED TO USE THAT OUTPUT FORMAT FOR ALL THE REST OF THEM.

1. Is that to be expected? That begs the question;

2. Would you please explain to us poor, Arno Acolytes, oh Master, Wearer of the Black-robe, Creator of the hourly praised, ModelconverterX, the difference between the models & textures of;
    FS2002,

FSX/p3DV 1.4,

P3DV2.0,

and2.3?

Thanks in advance for your kind attention and speedy reply,

Chas
    Poor, unworthy,green-robe,minion of ModelConverterX-dom

Last edited: 24 Aug 2014
  12. tgibson

tgibson

us-california
    The short answer is that objects made for previous sims are usually compatible with later sims, for the most part. There are glitches (i.e. FS2004 transparencies will cause objects behind them to disappear in FSX and later sims), but I believe FSX objects will show up OK in P3D1 or 2, as you have found. There may be features that are not available when compiling to earlier sims and certain versions of Max can only be used with later sim compilers, so these may be reasons why many people want to compile to the latest versions.