• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ModelConverterX problem PLS HELP!

Country
us-florida
I'm trying to make a model for gmod, but I have to convert it to mdl, so I set up everything (I'm pretty sure correctly, I'm kinda new) and I picked export. It started exporting but then it stopped and I got a message that said:

The specified executable is not a valid Win32 application.

StackTrace:
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
at ASToFra.ObjectWriter.MDLXWriter.Write(String fileName, ObjectModel objectModel)
at ASToFra.ObjectWriter.AllObjectWriter.write(String fileName, ObjectModel objectModel, Int32 filterIndex)
at ASToFra.ModelConverterX.MainWindow.bwExporter_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

PLS HELP! I'M NEW TO THIS! :confused: :confused: :confused: :( :(

(BUT I THINK IT IS BECAUSE I DONT HAVE AN X TO MDL PROGRAM.)

Country
us-florida
I've been looking up on google, and some people are talking about microsoft flight simulator. Do I need that?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I think you did not set the path to the xtomdl compiler correctly, it should point to the executable.

Since the mdl files are for flight simulator, you would need it to view the result. As well as some sdk tools you need.

Are you not trying to export to flight simulator?

Send from my phone using Tapatalk, so excuse the short sentences and possible typos

Country
us-florida
Well i got the demo of flight simulator but it dosnt actally have the right path that ModelConverterX is looking for. I have also been trying to look for some sort of sdk plugin for google sketchup but can not find one.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

To make fsx mdl files you need the deluxe version that includes the sdk.

But are you trying to make a model for fsx or for some other engine?

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Despite using the same file extension for its models (.mdl), MSFS and Half-Life 2/GMod are two entirely different things.

Hence, we can't help you.

Unless of course you want to make Flight Simulator models.

Country
us-florida
Well I wanted to convert a model file into an mdl one (I have sketchup pro 8, so I have a variety of different files I can make it, just not mdl) so I could put it in gmod, and when i got ModelConverter and looked at the types of files it could export. It had mdl, and gmod needs mdl models. The problem is I can't get Flight Simulator right now. So I am going to have to find another way to convert it to an mdl file. Does anyone know a good FREE way to convert some files to mdl?
:confused:

Country
us-florida
Would it be possible for me to post a file (like .dae or .3ds) and someone could convert it to .mdl? (And if you dont mind making it some other files like VVD, VTX, and MDL) :D
Well even if you can't convert the files for me, thanks for the help! ;)

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

See the reply above, flight simulator and gmod mdl files are not the same. This is a community of people making things for flight simulator, so I don't think we can help with gmod files.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Well I wanted to convert a model file into an mdl one (I have sketchup pro 8, so I have a variety of different files I can make it, just not mdl) so I could put it in gmod, and when i got ModelConverter and looked at the types of files it could export. It had mdl, and gmod needs mdl models. The problem is I can't get Flight Simulator right now. So I am going to have to find another way to convert it to an mdl file. Does anyone know a good FREE way to convert some files to mdl?
:confused:

The .mdl formats for MSFS and GMod are different, so files compiled for MSFS WILL NOT WORK IN GMOD.

Country
canada
Hi Arno, Jimm here I have that error coming ... I read a few posts I have newest ver. of model converter x , I ran as admin. I am trying to flip a .dae grass model into MDL and save into the texture folder , however that error is coming up . I have. I'm running win10 and the FSX steam ver. I was able to incorporate SDK into FSX steam , I am using sketchup . I have adjusted the paths in options. is there anything else I should be checking for to fix this ?

thank you in advance for your time

he specified executable is not a valid Win32 application.
StackTrace:
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
at ASToFra.ObjectWriter.MDLXWriter.Write(String fileName, ObjectModel objectModel)
at ASToFra.ObjectWriter.AllObjectWriter.write(String fileName, ObjectModel objectModel, Int32 filterIndex)
at ASToFra.ModelConverterX.MainWindow.bwExporter_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
What is your xtomdl path saying?

Country
canada
Hi Arno , I just saw another post and was able to correct this myself Wooohooo. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\XToMdl.exe No errors. I do have one more Q I am redoing CYTR. The stock grass looks like burnt tan Lol thus my reason to create actual green grass which I have done in sketch . Should I use Export object to wizard and where would the path be to put the texture grass that goes into FSX that will go into ADE Project folder I have set up?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'm not sure I understand the last question. For grass polygons on the ground you would have to use the ground polygon wizard. The bgl goes to the scenery folder and the textures to the texture folder of your project.

What do you want to do in ADE?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It's used for the GPW. But in the recent releases the SCASM compiler comes included, so you must be using a pretty old build.

Country
canada
I have fsx steam version I copied SDK from box set as it does not work in steam version model x just downloaded the other day. What is the best way to get around this issue Arno?

Country
canada
when I compile in ADE it compiles fine. Think I did something wrong as the grass is not coming out the one I saved still coming out as brown stock grass