• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Opening Airport from Bgl or XML

Country
us-georgia
Not sure where to post this,but I have a similar problem, except I have an airport I have been working on for over 6 months,Sunday,I lost my project file,now all I have is the compiled bgl and the xml files, is there any way to load the airport with everything intact, I know you can't do it with the bgl file,but can it be done with the xml files? I really don't want to have to go back and put in everything again. I can get it to load most of the airport data,but I am missing alll the objects(trees,buildings,etc),is there any way to get these things back? Oh and I do have the cvx file that goes with the airport.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
AFAIK, the xml file has the same things that the BGL has in it, so that would be no help. Loading the BGL file should display any library objects, but AFAIK all MDL files embedded in the file will indeed be lost.

Country
us-georgia
i WAS MAINLY CONCERNED ABOUT THE BUILDINGS AND TREES, I CAN GO BACK AND RE-CREATE MY BACKGROUNDS AND THINGS,BUT I'M NOT GETTING ANY LIBRARY OBJECTS LIKE MY BUILDINGS AND THINGS LIKE TREES AND SUCH, I GET A FEW OF THE LIBRARY BUILDINGS,BUT I HAD A LOT OF THEM AND HATE TO HAVE TO ADD THEM ALL BACK IN.

Country
us-georgia
OK,I LOOKED AT THE XML OBJ FILE AND AS FAR AS I CAN SEE,ALL THE OBJECTS I HAD IN THE ORIGINAL PROJECT ARE SHOWN THERE, NOW I CAN LOAD THE COMPILED XML AIRPORT FILE AND I GET EVERYTHING I SHOULD HAVE SUCH AS TAXIWAYS,RUNWAYS,ETC... THAT'S GREAT, I DON'T GET MY AIRPORT BACKGROUNDS, THAT'S FINE I CAN EASILY RE DO THOSE,NOW WHEN I IMPORT THE OBJ XML WHICH BY LOOKING AT IT DOES CONTAIN ALL OF MY LIBRARY OBJECTS THAT I ORIGINALY HAD,BUT...WHEN IT IMPORTS THE FILE,I ONLY GET A VERY MINISCULE PART OF ALL THE OBJECTS,ALMOST LIKE IT IS NOT READING ALL OF THE FILE,NOW,HERE'S WHAT MY THOUGHTS WERE,CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG,MOST OF THE OBJECTS I USED ARE FROM THE ADDON LIBRARY FROM THE BIG THUMBNAIL PATCH, COULD IT BE THAT THE XML FILE ISN'T POINTING TO THE DIRECTORY WHERE THOSE LIBRARY FILES ARE LOCATED? SO THEREFORE IT IS ONLY LOADING THE ADE DEFAULT LIBRARY FILES.

Country
us-georgia
Well....I've tried everything I could think of to get my library objects back to no avail,I guess it is a lost cause. I'll just go back and re-create the entire project from scratch,maybe I can get it done in half the time, the last one took 6 months,hopefully this one will only take three,but let that be a lesson to me and anyone else,always...always...always...keep a daily backup,and never put them on a flash drive,worste mistake i ever made. I would like to make a sugestion to the one who wrote the program, sometime in the future could you please have it save separate backup files instead of constantly writing over the same one,sure would be nice.Anyway,thanks for what help I was able to get from reading this thread.At least I know a little about how ADE saves files.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
please have it save separate backup files instead of constantly writing over the same one,sure would be nice.Anyway,thanks for what help I was able to get from reading this thread.At least I know a little about how ADE saves files.
Your solution would be to periodically copy that regularly over written project file and paste the sequentially numbered copies into a separate folder.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I have moved these posts to their own thread.

Country
us-georgia
Ok,here's the situation,I had been working on an airport (my own creation) for about 6 months,I accidently erased the original .AD4 file, with several failed attempts to recover the deleted file,I decided to try loading the .BGL compiled airport,of course that file only contains a very small bit of information,I can't get the library objects such as buildings and such,well after searching the web,I saw something about loading stock data after I load the airport .BGL file,well,problem is,that option is greyed out and I can't sellect the load stock data function. My problem is,I tried importing the OBJ.BGL file that goes to the airport,it loads in a few of the objects,but not all of them, I tried loading everything from the .XML files and get the same results. I looked at the OBJ.XML file,and all my objects are there,but ADE doesn't seem to be loading them all as if it isn't reading all of the file or something,now,why isn't ADE importing all of my library objects,and how could I go about retrieving all of those objects without having to go back and manually put them all back in?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Are you sure they are library objects and are not objects added to the ADE file itself by using the Add.../Model command? Those are not saved when the BGL file is loaded into ADE.

Country
us-georgia
i AM SURE THEY ARE ADE LIBRARY OBJECTS,THAT IS WHERE I SELECTED THEM FROM WHEN I CREATED THE AIRPORT.MOST OF THEM WERE FROM THE ADDON LIBRARY IN THE BIG THUMBNAIL PACK.I NOTICED THE ONLY OBJECTS GETTING LOADED ARE ONES THAT ORIGINALY CAME WITH ADE AND NONE FROM THE ADDON OBJECTS. AS I STATED,I DID LOOK AT THE COMPILED XML FILE,AND EVERY OBJECT IS IN THERE, ADE JUST ISN'T LOADING THEM ALL IN FOR SOME REASON.COULD THERE BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY INSTALL OF ADE? WHEN I MADE THE AIRPORT IT WAS WITH THE ORIGINAL VERSION OF ADE,IT HAS BEEN UPDATED SINCE THEN ,WHEN I FIRST INSTALLED ADE,I DID A LOAD OF THE COMPILED BGL FILE AND EVERYTHING LOADED,THAT WAS WITH AN OLDER VERSION. WINCE THE UPDATE IS WHEN I STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS,COULD THERE BE A BUG IN THE UPDATE KEEPING IT FROM LOADING THE FILE CORRECTLY?

Last edited:
Country
us-georgia
OK,I DID FIGURE OUT THAT IT APPEARS TO BE A BUG IN THE UPDATE,I DECIDED TO UNINSTALL ADE COMPLETELY,THEN RE-INSTALL THE OLD VERSION,AFTER DOING THAT I LOADED THE AIRPORT .BGL FILE,GOT EVERYTHING BUT TERRAIN ELEMENTS,THEN IMPORTED THE OBJ.BGL FILE,AND LOW AND BEHOLD...I GOT ALL OF MY LIBRARY OBJECTS BACK. SO FOR ANYONE READING THIS,THERE IS A BUG IN THE UPDATED ADE THAT PREVENTS YOU FROM LOADING IN THE OBJECTS FROM A .BGL FILE. IF ONLY I COULD GET MY TERRAIN ELEMENTS BACK,BUT GUESS THAT'S ASKING TOO MUCH,JUST GLAD TO HAVE AT LEAST 80% OF MY AIRPORT BACK.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Which version are you saying has the bug?

Country
us-georgia
I believe the update is version 1.67 or something like that,my original version was 1.65. I still went ahead and let it update after I ws as able to get everything from my original airport minus terrain everything appears to be working great now.I'm not really sure if it was an actual bug in the software,or if whether or not mine got corrupted somehow. It was just strange how it all started working after going back to ver 1.65.Anyway,I do love ADE and use it quite frequently.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Tom:

Please see my reply to your other (second) thread here at FS Developer: :pushpin:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/custom-ground-textures.440665/#post-778826

FYI: If you still have the compiled BGL files from earlier versions of your ADE projects, you may be able to recover certain "terrain" and 3D object placement scenery data via the use of a couple of special utilities.

If you have not already recovered / re-created all that you care to, then feel free to inquire further about the file recovery process in this same thread when you are inclined to do so. :)

GaryGB