• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Perplexing issue around airport

Country
us-ohio
I have photoreal scenery .bgls over large area. FPS are awsome at 60-80+

I add AGN buildings and vegitation over the entire area with scenproc, FPS are still awsome at 60+FPS.

I add lighting down all roads with scenproc, makes 1 .bgl file, when added to active scenery file, I find the framerates go somewhat lower - during daylight - for the whole area. now 30+ is still acceptable,

BUT i have ONE single area, AND only from ground level to about 4-500FT AGL at mid-larger sized airport, where the frame rates go from 30 FPS+ down to almost in the 2-8 FPS - and this is really only VERY BAD at one end of the airport.

I have checked and there are no "invisable" bgls interfering, at least what i can see after checking everything i could think of, even deleting the AGN buildings from ADE in the stock airport version, and adding the new cvx file.

What is completely perplexing is that this is only at ground level up to about 4-500 ft. and only in a small radius of one of the ends ofthe runway. also, when i slew- it is absolutely unusable. if i hit the pause button, the framerates go back up to 30-40+

The rest of the whole scenery area works perfectly fine with great framerates, but its just this ONE small area where its happening.

NOW the clencher, if I remove the scenproc roads .bgl, the problem is gone and its back to 60+ FPS

:confused:

I have removed all the roads inside the airport bounds, so scenproc is not making roads close to the airport, but there is AGN showing up, but that seems to make no significant difference.

anybody have any ideas on this?
THANKS!!!!

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

Probably Arno would be better able to trouble shoot this due to the involvement of ScenProc in development of the "Roads" BGL.

But, I wondered whether you may have implemented "Vector Autogen" along with / alongside the road polygons in your CVX vector "road" BGL(s), and the FS run time rendering engine is not finding the linked 'meta-objects' (ex: 3D light poles and effects) or any of their mapped textures, causing FS to go on a "wild goose chase" internal search trying to find the missing objects / textures ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Placing lights as bgl objects is bad for the performance if you place many. You'll notice this most in areas that already have a lot of objects, like airports. I'm sure that if you place the lights as autogen the performance will be much better.

Country
us-ohio
Hello,
Thank Gary, thanks Arno (I must sing your praises)
Actually I am getting amazing performance everywhere except this one small area, I mean 40-60fps with lights stretching to the horizon, it's really quite jaw dropping, plus houses and building on at least 70% of the footprints. ( like 1.7 million an objects total)

It is just one small area limited to about 1 mile where the frames drop to terrible.

Edit: Gary, the lights are .bgl,
the buildings and veg are .agn

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Just a thought, but how is the performance in that area if you disable your scenery? It might be that airport or region is just always much heavier on performance.

Country
us-ohio
Just a thought, but how is the performance in that area if you disable your scenery? It might be that airport or region is just always much heavier on performance.
Hi,
If I go back to default scenery it hovers around 24-30 fps, if I leave PR and disable the .bgl for the road lights, I get much more around 60-80fps.
What's got me is why just that small radius?
Everywhere else with lights .bgl enabled works just as smooth.
If I unload the PR .bgl for that airport area with road lights.bgl still on, the performance remains low, so I've ruled that out too.

Country
spain
Usually flying in Canary Islands I noticed that there is an island and airport where the frame rates fall dramatically. I tried to lighten the scenery, even deactivating the entire scenery and came to this conclusión. For some reason that área or región is much heavier than any other . what would be interesting would be to know why?

Last edited:
Country
us-ohio
Usually flying in Canary Islands I noticed that there is an island and airport where the frame rates fall dramatically. I tried to lighten the scenery, even deactivating the entire scenery and came to this conclusión. For some reason that área or región is much heavier than any other . what would be interesting would be to know why?

There has to be an explaination, nothing happens in scenery that shouldnt be explainable in some way, but this one really has me confuddled:scratchch

Country
spain
what are you using for lights, I've seen lights created for Fs9 that made frame rates fall drastically. But if would be a explanation for a such frame rates in certain áreas would be cool. I not fly to that island any more. it's a pity the airport was a payware product which was released as free.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Maybe you are crossing a certain LOD grid where it is unloading\loading scenery objects, bgls, etc., at the same time. I have seen certain locations where I experience a big drop then it regains its composer. I can't explain why, its only a theory I have. I have also found creating lights as object .bgls too big a strain on FPS. For me, it just wasn't worth the performance loss to see a tiny spec of light 20 miles away. I also understand they are still active during the daytime even if you don't see the lights so you would have to manually turn them off?