1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shader variables and expressions

Discussion in 'Prepar3D' started by mole_man99, 13 Nov 2017.

1. mole_man99

mole_man99

Hi All

Getting into P3d V4.

I am trying to be clever with shader variables through PTA tool. PTA's own explanation of shader variables and expressions is a bit thin. I can not find in the SDK where the variables may be listed and explained.

Simple example from PTA
    (saturate(1.0 - cb_Altitude/2438))

As PTA explain, this changes the saturation level above 2438m, but changes from what to what? Does the minus mean above or below the variable? Sometimes it is a plus symbol. Not sure how and when to use which.

Anybody know where it is hidden in the SDK learning centre, if there at all? I am assuming it's part of the P3D system, and not PTA specific.

Cheers

Graeme

2. JB3DG

JB3DG Resource contributor

southafrica
    As per the MS DX SDK HLSL documentation, the saturate function clamps the x parameter within the range of 0 to 1. The input value is 1.0 - cb_Altitude/2438 so the value of cb_Altitude is in meters. if altitude is < 2438, divide by 2438 will give you a value between 0 and 1. 1.0 - 0.6 for example will give a value of 0.4. If altitude exceeds 2438, you will get a value of > 1. Therefore 1.0 - 1.2 for example will give -0.2. A value of -0.2 passed to the saturate function will be clamped to 0.

3. mole_man99

mole_man99

Wow that's way beyond me.

I was wondering where the docs were, so they are in the DX SDK. I'll try downloading and see how I get on.

Thanks for the reply.

4. mole_man99

mole_man99

After my 15th read (and a helpful chap at AVSIM), the penny dropped. Thanks. Just downloading the docs to see about clamping a rigid value to a certain alt then having it reduce.

What a varied hobby this is.

5. JB3DG

JB3DG Resource contributor

southafrica
    Would be interested in seeing the post at avsim...link?

6. mole_man99

mole_man99

Here you go, and I got a formula that works for me, pasted in the post along with some screens.
    https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/524248-darken-ground-with-altitude/

Do you know where all shader variables are listed? I am now looking for one that is linked to cloud cover and can't find a list in the P3D SDK. Can't even find ones I know about like cb_altitude.