1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SimConnect for FSX Steam

Discussion in 'SimConnect' started by Ralph Freshour, 30 Nov 2017.

1. Ralph Freshour

Ralph Freshour

unitedstates
    My FSX Gold DVD stopped working so I could not load FSX onto my new PC. I purchased FSX Steam and installed that on my new PC. I have an app that uses SimConnect but I'm getting a compile error that says my side by side configuration is wrong. I want to load the RTM verion which I see in my Steam folder.

What do I have to do fix this?

Thanks...

2. =rk=

=rk=

us-washington
    What is the app?

3. Ralph Freshour

Ralph Freshour

unitedstates
    It's for my EZCamViews app. I'm doing an upgrade to it.

4. ddawson

ddawson Resource contributor

canada
    Typically, you will have to install the older versions of SimConnect. It is not done automatically. The installers should be in the folder you mention.

5. Ralph Freshour

Ralph Freshour

unitedstates
    I ran the installer msi in this folder: C:\Steam5\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-RTM

...but after agreeing to the license, the install must have happened very fast because the window closed within a second and that was it. I don't know where the sim connect dll file was installed into, so I can't add a reference to it!!

6. Ralph Freshour

Ralph Freshour

unitedstates
    So I ran all three of the sim connect msi installers: FSX-RTM, FSX-SP1 and FSX-XPACK. Now I need to add the reference in my windows app in Visual Studio. But which sim connect .dll do I reference to? Should I copy one of those sim connect dll files to my app's main folder and reference it from that location?

7. Ralph Freshour

Ralph Freshour

unitedstates
    I referenced the RTM sim connect deep inside the Steam folder. Now I'm getting an error: SimConnect does not contain a definition for Text

I tried to google this error but came up empty.

8. WarpD

WarpD

us-ohio
    Why are you not using SimConnect.h and the SimConnect.lib file????

9. Ralph Freshour

Ralph Freshour

unitedstates
    I've always used the .dll file. Isn't that easier to use? My app is a C# app.

10. WarpD

WarpD

us-ohio
    If it is easier to use, why do you think they made header files and libraries???

11. Ralph Freshour

Ralph Freshour

unitedstates
    I've always used the .dll file and it has worked fine. Now I've got some errors and I can't figure out what's wrong. I'm not sure if this because of Steam as this is my first time using Steam. I may have to try using the .lib and .h files to possibly get around this problem.

12. JB3DG

JB3DG Resource contributor

southafrica
    @WarpD C# doesn't use the usual .h and .lib file method....It only uses Dll references. The .h and .lib files are for C++ not C#.

13. WarpD

WarpD

us-ohio
    Then C# is using a throwback from Basic/Pascal. LOL... :) At any rate... guess it's time to dig deep and learn where Text is defined... since that's obviously not defined before imported the DLL.

14. ddawson

ddawson Resource contributor

canada
    You need to ensure that the SP2/XPACK version of SimConnect is installed.
    The SimConnect.Text function is not included in the RTM version of SimConnect.

15. Ralph Freshour

Ralph Freshour

unitedstates
    Hmmm...Steam does not appear to have an SP2/XPACK folder...please see attachment...

Attached Files:

16. WarpD

WarpD

us-ohio
    Uh... you have it highlighted... XPACK which is the FSX:Acceleration release... it's SimConnect was the same as the FSX:Service Pack 2. If you didn't purchase Acceleration, you could still get fixes and updates by installing Service Pack 2.