• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Simple tutorial for SODE?

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hi,
I'm really not a computer guy. I have a limited knowledge about this. I have tried to read the developer guide so many times but I fail to understand it.
If it is possible to have a tutorial how to implement this. Such as step by step tutorial. Such as if I want a tree change with season. I have the model with seasonal variation. What I need to do step by step after I have MDL and seasonal textures already.
Thanks.

Last edited:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I started to get it after looking at the sample.xml. I forgot to install it at time of SODE installation.
Let me have some time study this. If I understand it I can come out with user oriented tutorial.
I was wondering if this version of SODE still does not support skin-bone animation.

Last edited:
Country
switzerland
Hi Tic,

Together with the samples, I'm confident that you'll master the technique.
The jetway creation script that I included in the SDK generates a fully skinned and animated model simply by clicking a button. It even works with 3ds max.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Thanks Jeffrey, I am getting into that. I think I understand the principle of it now. I will come up later with user oriented tutorial.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hi Jeffrey,
I got a problem. I have copied the content in SODE_modeldef_entries.xml in to modeldef.xml in this folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK
but there is an error all the time
--Runtime error: fileIn: can't open file- ".\..\\FSXAnimation.ms"
What could be wrong?
Thanks.

Country
switzerland
Hi,

Are you trying to run the script? Seems that the gmax scripts folder is somehow broken. It should look something like this in your FSX gamepack folder:
  • scripts
    • SODE
      • Hoods
      • SODE_Jetway_Creator.ms
    • FSXAnimation.ms (that's the standard Microsoft FSX SDK Animation script)

The jetway creator looks for the FSXAnimation.ms file and can't find it. Make sure my scripts are in a subfolder 'SODE'.
Hope this helps

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Oh, I see. I need to move SODE folder to the FSX_GmaxGamePack\scripts in my computer. Sorry, I missed that part of the document.
I have tried your example model. Everything went fine until I export to MDL. There was an error
No definition found for animation"SODE_jetway_Bridge_Dip_15SEC"

Another window pop out.

Ending an animation which wasn't started
Node=BONE_ROOT
Anim=SODE-Jetway_Root_Rotation_15SEC
CurAnim=

And it keeps coming.

It is not easy for me. However I will try more.

Last edited:
Country
switzerland
Seems there's something wrong in the modeldef.xml file. Could you send me your modeldef.xml to sode[at]12pilot[dot]ch?

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
OK Jeff. I can export everything now. Looking good.
I still have problem to put custom mdl to Simobject but I will keep trying.
I have got a problem. SODE objects in LSZG suddenly disappear from times to times. Also does the menu disappear together.
I need to restart FSX.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi, I have this problem also! After I have compiled the jetway with the SODE_Jetway_Creator script, all seems well, but nothing is defined in the animation tag menu.

And upon export I get the

No definition found for animation"SODE_jetway_xxx"

and

Ending an animation which wasn't started
Node=BONE_ROOT
Anim=SODE-Jetway_Root_Rotation_15SEC
CurAnim=

I have the most recent scripts in the SDK from the SODE website.

I have moved the scripts into GMAX gamepack scripts with the SODE_MODELDEF.xml also,

Please help!

Country
unitedkingdom
OK, I just read about amending the modeldef.xml in the sdk/environment sdk/bin with the SODE_Modeldef/xml

Last edited: