• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Static Aircraft MDL Maker - Textures very complicated

Country
canada
Hi, All

I just stated using this SAMM today. I have version 2.2.03, which is the latest I could find.

//Important: EVERYTHING I create is to be used in other PCs. I run these tools in "work" PCs that are NOT the one I use for flying. I also give some of my scenery to friends.

When I use SAMM to generate a static plane mdl, starting from any FS9 aircraft, the mdl generated has a complicated path to get to the textures.

The first time I tried using the mdl I did create a functioning bgl, but FSX complained that it couldn't fine the path to the textures, and they were NOT the paths to the associated Texture folder next to the Scenery folder.

I, then, had a look at the mdl hex code and, indeed, all the bmps were preceded by paths. This is unlike any other mdl files I ever created using Arno's Model Converter.

I tried to edit the mdl file by removing the back slashes and folders that preceded the name of the textures, making sure that there were 8 spaces between the yyyy (the ones with two dots on top) and the beginning of the texture name. FSX, then, stoped complaining that it couldn't find the path, but still didn't find the textures, as the model appeared black.

Now, is it just me? Or does anyone know a way of making SAMM NOT complicate the path to the textures?

Thanks, everyone

Fern

Country
us-california
Just a thought, but is your FS9 aircraft folder an active folder in FS9, or a folder somewhere in your computer where you have placed FS9 aircraft (and various textures associated with the aircraft) to be made into static models?

SAMM does have its own specific paths, and while the aircraft folder need not be located in FS9, it needs to be arranged as it would be if it were an active folder in FS9, in other words, all texture folders need to be properly logged into the aircraft.cfg file for the aircraft in question.

Gman

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Fern, 2.2.03 is the latest general release. A development release offering P3Dv3 compatibility is also available.

SAMM saves the static aircraft textures in appropriately named subfolders in the \texture folder of the scenery to which the static aircraft applies. This is necessary because aircraft texture names are not necessarily unique. The naming of the textures in liveries of the same aircraft is identical. Aircraft developers manage this situation by specifying the applicable texture folder name in the aircraft.cfg file. Scenery models do not offer similar flexibility

However, if you are sure that there will be no name overlap, you can specify that static aircraft textures be saved to the main texture folder by checking the "Save textures to main texture folder" box on the Make Object Library dialog. But this means you will never be able to display a single aircraft inn two liveries in the same scenery.

Don

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
But this means you will never be able to display a single aircraft inn two liveries in the same scenery.

Not using SAMM, which is why I use ModelConverterX which allows you to rename/replace textures so you can avoid the duplication problem.

Country
canada
Hi, Fellows

Thanks for the prompt replies. The "Save textures to main texture folder" trick didn't work, unfortunately. Besides, that box should be in the main box, not in the Libraries box, which many people don't use (I never use them). But it didn't work anyway; SAMM still placed the textures in a separate folder inside the Textures folder. I can live with it, and in some cases I might. I have the feeling that I'll go back to Arno's Model Converter X. SAMM is very fast, and it requires no editing but, on the oher hand, I couldn't find a way of deleting the pilot.

Thanks, everyone.

Fern

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The "Save textures to main texture folder" trick didn't work; SAMM still placed the textures in a separate folder inside the Textures folder.
I've just confirmed that. Apparently, somewhere along the way this feature has been broken - and will be fixed.

that box should be in the main box, not in the Libraries box, which many people don't use (I never use them).
No, that feature is only applicable when the library is being generated. Obviously, there are different ways it could have been implemented. That feature was an afterthought once the .mdl design was finalized.

I couldn't find a way of deleting the pilot.
Neither could I, which is why the pilot is still there in many cases.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have just uploaded SAMM Development Release 2.2.03(e) to http://stuff4fs.com. As reported, the "Save textures to main texture folder" checkbox on the Make Object Library dialog was inoperative (and, apparently, has been for over 3 years) due to an oversight in the creation of SAMM Version 2. It is now fixed.

Fern, if you use the Texture subfolder in the applicable folder in SAMM's Libraries folder when using this feature, I think you'll find pretty much what you want.

Don