• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Texture cannot fit to the building

Country
macedonia
Hello,

Look at the images and you'll see the problem.

upload_2016-3-16_18-30-49.png

This is my terminal texture in photoshop

upload_2016-3-16_18-31-26.png

And look how it looks like in 3ds max..When i try with UVW Unwrap Mask to make them like this:

upload_2016-3-16_18-33-0.png

Then my terminal glass looks like this:

upload_2016-3-16_18-33-36.png

Any help please ? Really appreciate, Thank you so much, Teo !

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

I assume you want a solid wall of windows across the entire wall. You have two choices:

1. Divide the wall into separate polygons and texture each polygon with the glass bitmap separately (or do a Face texture mapping of all those polygons which does them all at once).

2. Extend the glass texture all the way across the bitmap (so it is a continuous horizontal band all the way across the image) and then map the wall as you are trying to do above.

Hope this helps,

Country
macedonia
If i try to extend my texture as i do the quality of the texture is pretty low so i dont it.To make the face map can you tell me how? Thanks

Btw my "glass polygons" has not important lines and they are blocking the texture as you can see, could i remove them? Thanks, Teo!

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

I did not mean to stretch it across the texture, I meant to copy and paste it until it reached all the way across the bitmap. The texture itself should not be stretched at all, but instead duplicated all the way across the bitmap.

To use Face texturing:

1. Select all the polygons to be mapped identically. They should all be the same size and proportions.
2. Add a UVW Map to the modifier stack.
3. Click the Face radio button. All polygons will be mapped using the entire bitmap.
4. Add a UVW Unwrap to the modifier stack.
5. Click the Edit button.
6. Now adjust the vertices so they enclose only your glass texture.

I don't normally use this technique for glass walls like this (I would use the tiling method you are trying to use), but it is handy in certain instances. Since each face is mapped to its normal, Face can texture each polygon of a cylinder perfectly. then allow you to Unwrap them all and adjust the mapping of all the polygons at once. Makes things very easy.

Hope this helps,

Country
macedonia
Thank you so much for your reply man! Unfortunately, i cant try your techicue now becouse im sick now.Thank you so much i hope this will help me!

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
That's not the same building we were talking about above, so I assume the solution will be different. I don't know what you want the building to look like and where you are having problems?

As for the original texture, you show that texture loaded into Photoshop (I assume), so I would use that to copy and paste the window portion across the entire texture. It would end up looking like this:

texture_test.jpg

Now that section can be tiled across the building. Any time you want to tile a texture horizontally, it needs to stretch from the left edge all the way to the right edge of the texture.

Country
macedonia
The problem is the texture cannot fit to the side windows, it is good in the front window and the rear window, but in the side windows it is like in the image over..

My advice is to do tutorials on texture mapping in 3dsmax. There are a zillion of them on line. You are a true beginner in this art, which is not bad. The problem is you are trying to do a project that too advanced for your skills. You don't understand the art well enough to gain from the help people are trying to share with you.

Country
macedonia
Thats true Im beginner, all of us were beginners at the beginning of their "career", so Im still at the beginning and i still need help from someone who have experience, thanks :)

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
You need to:

1. Map the front and back walls.
2. Add a Mesh Select modifier to the stack.
3. Press the little black + next to the Mesh Select.
4. Click on Polygon submode below that.
5. Select the window polygons on the left and right walls.
6. Change the current view so you are viewing a left or right wall directly.
7. Apply another UVW Map modifier to the stack.
8. Press the View Align button in the UVW Map rollout.
9. Press the Fit button as well.
10. Add a UVW Unwrap modifier to the stack.
11. Click the Edit button, select the bitmap from the drop down box if needed.
12. Click the Zoom Extents box at the bottom right of the UVW Unwrap box.
13. Click the Rotate button at the top left of the UVW Unwrap box.
14. Drag the mouse across all the vertices to select all of them (they turn red).
15. Rotate the vertices so they are parallel to the window texture. Click on one vertex and drag it.
16. Use the Scale and Move buttons to adjust the vertices. The top and bottom vertices should be horizontal along the top and bottom of the window texture area. The vertices will extend beyond the left and right edges of the texture (this will cause tiling to occur).

Hope this helps,

Last edited:
When a person is a beginner, beginning lessons are what work best. You are trying to complete an intermediate task, not a beginners task. I agree everyone is a beginner, and there is no shame at that. I'm just saying "do beginner projects and learn the basic underpinnings". Let your flight sim building wait for a bit while you learn the toolset. After that, your questions will be easier to answer and you'll understand the answers.

Imagine a person wanting to learn to read, and rather than starting with the ABCs, starting with Shakespeare ... and asking good readers to help. No matter how well you read, it would be the wrong material to start with. Not sure what is used to teach kids to read in Macedonia, but I learned with "Dick and Jane", not "Petrucio and Hamlet".

Country
macedonia
For me this is the most easier airports which I know becouse I dont want to make the Frankfurt am Main for example this is a good and small airport also in meanwhile im working on airfield also located in Macedonia, close to LWSK,(LW75).So I want a good adventure and a good oponent (good airport), Thanks!