1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Three Aspect approach indicator

Discussion in 'SimObject Display Engine' started by Ian P, 19 Feb 2017.

1. Ian P

Ian P

unitedkingdom
    I've been puzzling over this one for ages, but haven't worked out any method of doing it yet, so I thought I'd ask here, in case anyone else had any idea.

I need to create a glideslope indicator that has three indications (above/on/below glidepath), unlike a PAPI's two (above/below). Because the SODE planar separator only allows two entries, I did wonder if I could create two lamps, one of which had no illumination effect above the separator, to recreate the "below glidepath" indication. I soon realised, however, that the second effect from the "above glideslope"/"on glideslope" would still be illuminated. The same would happen if I used three different objects, because the middle "on glideslope" indication would need to have a cut off separator both above and below it. So, does anyone have any bright ideas of things that I've missed?

Cheers,

Ian P.

2. jjbld

jjbld

france
  3. 6maynew

6maynew

unitedkingdom
    Hi Ian

My new PAPI model displays 5 colours as it goes from white to red to simulate the pink colour-merge effect so it's definitely possible as Jacques stated.

But say you have a tri-color VASI which consists of four colours: red, yellow, green, yellow. In GMAX, you'd put the red plane nearest the model itself, then the yellow slightly above it, then the green slightly above that, then the 2nd yellow above that. In your XML, just do multiple sep planes calling each one in turn as it goes up in pitch. The effect in-sim should be each colour plane overlaying the previous going up in pitch, then going back down the reverse, so each colour plane disappears.

Hope that helps!

4. Ian P

Ian P

unitedkingdom
    Hello gents,

Apologies for not coming back to this recently - my health hasn't been the greatest and I haven't been in a fit state to deal with anything vaguely complex! I'm going to take a look at this over the next few days, so will let you know how I get on.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Ian P.

5. jjbld

jjbld

france
    Hope you'll get better Ian

6. 6maynew

6maynew

unitedkingdom
    Likewise :)

7. Jeffrey Stähli

Jeffrey Stähli

switzerland
    Hey Ian, hope you are doing fine in the meanwhile. Best wishes from me!