1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P3D v4 Visual Studio options

Discussion in 'SimConnect' started by DaveWG, 11 Aug 2017.

1. DaveWG

DaveWG

england
    Hi all,

I'm looking at dabbling in some simconnect programming, mainly as a learning experience, but hopefully I'll produce something useful too! I'm OK with XML, but want to take to the next level.
    I've downloaded the Visual Studio Community 2017 installer, but there are so many options and components, I'm not entirely sure which I need and which I don't.:confused: I don't particularly want to download the whole lot if I don't have to.

Any advice for the noob?

Thanks.

2. ddawson

ddawson Resource contributor

canada
    You're going to want VS2015. That's the version that was used to compile the SimConnect library file. Since the days of VS2008, libraries have been version specific and only work with the version that was used to create them.
    If you want to create gauges, you will need to use C++, as that's the only language supported. If you're looking at an external application, you can also use C# if you would rather - I believe the C# SimConnect interface is now reasonably complete.

3. DaveWG

DaveWG

england
    Ok, thanks Doug. The SDK said Vs2015 or higher, so I assumed 2017 would be ok. I'll look for the 2015 version.
    Im intending to use C++.