• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Can't install SDK on Win 7

Country
unitedstates
How to use Win7 without frustration!?

If you are the only user of the computer, set your account's security levels to "Super Administrator."

Also, there is a little known special username that WinXP, Vista, and Win7 will allow: "Everyone." I set up global permission for "Everyone" to have full read/write access to every nook and cranny of every hard drive on every computer.

Problems solved.

Even so, I still install everything sim related to anywhere besides the stinking ..\Program Files areas.

Since I now have a total of eight computers on my local network, I need to have the ability to access any folder on any computer from any computer I happen to be sitting at! :eek:

n4gix, have I told you recently that you are a LIFESAVER!!??

I just spent 2 frustrating hours trying in vain to install the FSX Accleration SDK on my Win7x64 PC, (I am interested in trying out SBuilderX313) and wondering why the (heck) neither of its optical drives could properly read the SDK folder on the #1 disc (when a WinXP notebook instantly reads it just fine). In frustration I Googled the issue and landed here. You guys just saved my evening! :) Now, on to the other jewels in this post. :D

I am definitely going to give user "Everyone" a try, but please do tell me about how to use "Super Administrator". I have never heard of it. And the whole "permissions" issue I keep bumping against with Win7 is THE primary complaint I have about it. That, and the inability to share ANY folder on the Win7x64 PC with all the XP rigs elsewhere on my LAN. It sounds like you have hit on some miraculous solutions to these headaches. Do tell! :)

(If there is a way to 'copy' a user, and then set it as Super Administrator, or change that setting on an existing user, that is what I want to do). Not meaning to hijack this thread, so please PM me on this if you prefer

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
This article explains the very simple (but secret) method(s) of activating the Super Administrator security level:

How To Activate Windows 7 or Vista Secret Super Administrator Account.

As for networking with XP machines, the simplest way is to change the network Home Group setting on the Win7 machine.

By default, the XP machines will be set for the @HOME group. Once you've reset the Win7 machine to the same Group, reboot it.

Now open Windows Explorer, highlight the C:\ folder, right-click and create a Share. Right-click again and set the Permissions for C:\ for full access for the user named "Everyone." Done!

Country
unitedstates
Thanks for the reply. I found that exact same website and used it last night. I 'think' it worked, but for some reason the super administrator account it creates is just named "administrator". I changed the name to something else and put a password on it. I then ran down the primrose path of having a corruption on my user accounts, so had to edit the registry to fix that before I could log in with each account set up on this PC. But eventually I got it all worked out.

So far I have managed to share a folder on this Windows 7 PC which I just chose at random on a non-C drive and write files to it from a different XP machine. That worked (which definitely didn't work the day I installed Windows 7 and learned I was being "forced" to share ONLY files and subfolders under C\users\public. What a load of crap!)

I have several physical drives in the computers, and several partitions on each of the drives, comprising an organization of file types I have used for years. So I am in the habit of sharing specific folders that I want shared. Just sharing a C drive would not suffice for me. I didn't like having to run all my file transfers through a single folder on the C drive to access the Win7 PC. So I am FINALLY free of that restriction! :D

I have not yet tried the "Everyone" user name. I wonder if that would work for access to the PCs on my LAN from an Android smartphone? Or does it only work between Windows machines?

Oddly (no one has been able to tell me why) the file explorer I use on the Android phone has always been able to wirelessly read and write to EVERY file on my Windows 7 PC, across the same wifi/LAN which restricts any Windows XP PC from accessing other than the Win7 PC "public" folder. Just goes to show that all the security paranoia with Windows Permissions is pointless, if it can be simply bypassed by a smartphone without even trying. ;)

I have never used the work group named "HOME" by default in XP. I have a different work group name I use. As such, I was not able to get Windows 7, with its "Home Group" settings to share files over the LAN when I first installed Windows 7. Each LAN PC can, of course, SEE the files because they are all in the same group I named, but an XP rig was never able to ACCESS the files aside from the aforementioned single folder on the Win7 rig. Until now. :) THANKS!

I should not need to make any changes to the work group settings now (hopefully). Time will tell.

So, I learned how to copy one user profile to another (which, again, required a 3rd party tool because Windows 7 'disables' the button needed to be pressed to do that :rolleyes: ) and I managed to copy my user account over to the superadministrator account. At least, on the surface. But some of the things did not copy (like the programmed macros for my Logitech G11 keyboard). Is there a way to actually "clone all the settings" so I don't have to run through and do all the many customizations I use all over again on the new "super" account?

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
With W7 you may find it impossible to use Windows Explorer to browse to the SDK folder. If this happens, use FreeCommander to browse the DVD.

THANK YOU!!! I spent 2 frustrating hours going :speanut::speanut::speanut::speanut::speanut:s "debugging" this non-hardware issue until I found your post. FreeCommander works like a charm on Windows 7x64. I'll never understand why Micro$oft finds it necessary to do stuff like this.

GHD

Country
england
The only drive on W7 I cannot access directly from XP is the C: drive. But I can access \Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft and \ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX, so I can read/write from/to FSX files.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
No longer a problem, thanks to you good folks! I just wrote a file from a networked XP PC to a shared folder on a Win7 C drive. :)

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I have never used the work group named "HOME" by default in XP. I have a different work group name I use.

Is there a way to actually "clone all the settings" so I don't have to run through and do all the many customizations I use all over again on the new "super" account?

What is important is that all the networked machines use the same Work Group, not that any specific name be used. Since my network includes a few Win98 machines as well, @HOME has always been my Work Group name... ;)

So, I have Win98, Vista32, Vista64, and Win7x64 machines all sharing their files back and forth. I can access (nearly*) anything, anywhere, from any machine, which was my overall goal.

I simply made my one and only User Account the Super Administrator, so I never ran into any problems. Of course I don't have any customizations at all, so perhaps that's one of the reasons for having no problems! :cool:

*NB: The only folders I can't access are the various machine's ..\Windows folders, which is probably a good thing. :D

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
It is so refreshing to meet someone else who doesn't ascribe to the all too typical closed minded viewpoint of "that's just the way it is and you should embrace permissions". :) Clearly your world has not ended because you don't bow down to 'permissions' on all those computers. Some people can't seem to ever climb out of the 'corporate' mind-controlled box. The view is defnitely better from up here!

Thanks!

Country
unitedstates
How to install GMax?

Can GMAx be installed from the same disk I used for SDK? I read something about installing SDK 'uninstalls' Gmax (but I did not already have it installed).

What's the best way to get GMax up and running here on Win7?

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Of course it can. But, since you already have it installed and (now) working, I guess you've figured it out... :cool:

Country
unitedstates
You peeked! :D

Sorry, I posted this before I ran across a thread that not only had a download link to the files, but also explained that they are forever entombed on the FSX ACCEL setup discs. I'm glad you saw that I had it installed before you took the time to answer this, for which I thank you!

I guess I have a kind of bad habit from my time spent on a forum used for radio controlled hobbies. On there, it is not uncommon to get replies within minutes, because the forum is extremely active. So it has become a habit to post a question I have while still doing the internet research, hoping someone can save me some time in looking. On here, the replies seem to come about once a day. So I'll try to save posting questions until after I have exhausted other possible answer sources for the night. I really do appreciate all the help you good folks provide here! :)