• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Convert FS9 scenery vehicle for P3D (SOLVED)

Hi folks

Just lately I did the swap from FSX to P3D (due to change from WIN7 to WIN10 and the related problems afterwards.....)

Now after the P3D runs as I want and expected, I found out, that I have lots of scenery objects in FS9 format, which dont show up in the sim.

As such for example a little truck with airstairs.

I read lots of hints and Wiki about MCX, I tried out some settings but I came to the conclusion, and believe me, I tried out alot before revolving to you guys, that I need help.

When I try to export the .bgl I got always errors. See attached files. I am quiet sure something with the path of the various compile programs....but I got stuck of finding out THE solution.

Maybe some expert out there, maybe Arno, can help me.

See my files attached.

Thank you in advance helping me, and maybe others with similar problem

Attachments

• Event log.PNG
    Event log.PNG
    51.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Exporter settings.PNG
    Exporter settings.PNG
    37.9 KB · Views: 180
  • FS related settings.PNG
    FS related settings.PNG
    15.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Truck.zip
    193.6 KB · Views: 145

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

It seems you are using an old version of MCX, I would suggest you install the development release first, which supports P3D as well. Because now I see that you are using the P3D SDK for your FSX compiilers and that is not how it is supposed to work.

Hi,

It seems you are using an old version of MCX, I would suggest you install the development release first, which supports P3D as well. Because now I see that you are using the P3D SDK for your FSX compiilers and that is not how it is supposed to work.
Hi Arno
Thank you for your fast answer.

You were right. I thought, I had the newest version, but didnt see, that there is a development release available. I installed it, and >> it works now !!! You saved my weekend :)

I think I can close this topic.
Again thanks.
Alex, LSZH

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Glad to hear that solved it :)

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Good morning @arno

Thought I’d piggyback on this thread instead of starting a new one. I’m converting a scenery from FS9 to P3Dv4. I’ve successfully converted the models using MCX. Question is what do I do with the bmp files in the texture folder.? I believe, and I’ll be happy if I am wrong, that the bmp’s need to be in dds format.

The scenery I am converting uses many scenery libraries (abacus, ez, lens etc) and I think I have over 3000 bmp’s to convert. I know that only a fraction of these will be used in my specific scenery. I can use MCX to see which specific textures are used for each model in the scenery and just swap those over. Once I convert the bmp over to dds, will I need to update the texture the model uses in MCX?

As a quick work around, can I convert the texture files I need to dds format but change the file extension back to .bmp?

Thanks for your help,

Hello Colin

As for me I can speak the bmp-textures work fine also in P3D. But maybe Arno gives us an answer about DDS or BMP in P3D.
What seems to be lost for example that the lights_ss (Apron lights) have lost the effect, they dont shine onto the ground......

Regards
Alex

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Both FSX and P3D do search for both bmp and dds files. So there is no need to update the model if you convert the texture. It will find the dds file.

If you want MCX can also convert the textures for you. This can be done in the material editor or in the batch convert wizard.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

The light splashes on the ground are for FS2004 only, so you won't get those in P3D.

Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I think I can live without the light splashes - for now anyway. Thanks for your help. Yes, the BMP’s are working fine. I’m still trying to figure out how to make the batch convert wizard work.

Cheers,

Colin