• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 USGS - SBX315

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

IIUC, you are referring to Dick's USGS tile downloader DLL for SBuilderX (aka "SBX") attached to this post ? :scratchch

According to the DLL author, this one displays to zoom of 15 (15 in SBX, 16 in ARCGIS)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
germany
IIUC, you are referring to Dick's USGS tile downloader DLL for SBuilderX (aka "SBX") attached to this post ? :scratchch

According to the DLL author, this one displays to zoom of 15 (15 in SBX, 16 in ARCGIS)

Yes I know that Dick writes to zoom 15...
But with me in the SBX the satellite picture is displayed only to zoom 7...

SBX_USGS_zoom7.jpg

From zoom 8 and higher nothing is displayed with USGS...

SBX_USGS_zoom8.jpg

Maybe it is because of my settings...

Country
us-illinois
Yes I know that Dick writes to zoom 15...
But with me in the SBX the satellite picture is displayed only to zoom 7...

View attachment 67906

From zoom 8 and higher nothing is displayed with USGS...

View attachment 67907

Maybe it is because of my settings...

Hi Mike:

Based on Geographic coordinates seen above, your target area is outside the declared coverage area of the USGS imagery available as stated here:

"USGSImageryOnly (MapServer)

View In:
ArcGIS JavaScript ArcGIS Online Map Viewer ArcGIS Earth ArcMap ArcGIS Pro

View Footprint In: ArcGIS Online Map Viewer

Service Description: USGS Imagery Only is a tile cache base map service of orthoimagery in The National Map visible to the 1:9,028 zoom scale. Orthoimagery data are typically high resolution aerial images that combine the visual attributes of an aerial photograph with the spatial accuracy and reliability of a planimetric map. USGS digital orthoimage resolution may vary from 6 inches to 1 meter. In the former resolution, every pixel in an orthoimage covers a six inch square of the earth's surface, while in the latter resolution, one meter square is represented by each pixel. Blue Marble: Next Generation and Landsat imagery data sources are displayed at small to medium scales, however, the majority of the imagery service source is from the National Agriculture Imagery Program (NAIP) for the conterminous United States. The data is 1 meter pixel resolution collected with "leaf-on" conditions. Collection of NAIP imagery is administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Farm Service Agency (FSA). In areas where NAIP data is not available, other imagery may be acquired through partnerships by the USGS. For Alaska, 10-meter resolution SPOT imagery is provided for viewing. The National Map download client allows free downloads of public domain, 1-meter resolution orthoimagery in JPEG 2000 (jp2) format for the conterminous United States. However, the 10-meter Alaska orthoimagery data will not be available for direct download from the National Map due to license restrictions. For additional information on orthoimagery, go to https://nationalmap.gov/ortho.html."

GaryGB

Country
germany
Hi Gary,
I hope Gary is correct.
I already put my foot in my mouth because of the name.

Thank you for the detailed information.

The post creator asked for a working USGS_Imagery.dll.
Therefore my first answer.

The thing with the zoom was only a finding with me in the SBX.

Thanks again for the detailed explanation.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Mike:

Indeed, it is sometimes challenging to get SBuilderX to zoom in on the desired target world area using the Magnifying Glass tool. :oops:

It is probably easier to launch FS and position the aircraft at the desired location on ground in a live flight session, then "Show Aircaft" in SBuilderX. :idea:

Once the focus of SBuilderX is on that target aircraft location, one can assign the project name in the Properties field, and save the project as a *.SBP file.

Once that is done and the project is 'saved', the focus of the selected tile downloader within the SBuilderX work-space will stay 'local'. ;)

One can also make sure that one's custom vector data is saved by exporting a *.SBX exchange format file, as *.SBP format does not keep 'all' vector data. :pushpin:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
germany
Hi Gary,

and again I have learned something.

I didn't know until now that not all vector data is included in sbp format.
Even though I have been using SBX for eleven years.

Thank you for this further information.