• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 [SOLVED] Need help getting CVX BGL airport background exclusion poly to work in P3D v5

Country
us-illinois
I recently purchased P3D v5, and am working on a back-dated version of KORD Chicago O'Hare. I've added Toposim terrain mesh, Orbx Global Base textures and Orbx OpenLC North America landclass. No other add-ons have been installed.

As one of the first steps to re-working this airport, I made an AB_Flatten_MassClassMap_ExcludeAutogen polygon in SBuilderX version 3.15. (Screenshot attached). The resulting compiled CVX bgl file is also attached.
My addon scenery folder is on a separate drive from my P3D install: D:\KORD 1978\Scenery. I've placed my bgl file into this folder. (I realize the polygon doesn't have to be that large).

When I start P3D and add my scenery, I am not seeing any change in the default airport background poly. I should add that I've successfully placed an Airport Design Editor bgl (AFCAD) file in this scenery, as well as an ortho terrain photo using Resample (for testing, since removed so I can see the default background). So I know that P3D is seeing my scenery folder and loading scenery bgl files from it correctly.

In trying to get my CVX bgl to show (or rather, not show the default airport background, I've also tried placing the file in the P3D C:\P3D\Scenery\World\scenery scenery folder, as well as the C:\P3D\Scenery\0302\scenery folder where the default vector data for KORD is located, but I still can't get the default background to disappear. I've also disabled (not deleted) the Orbx OpenLC landclass files in case they were interfering in some way, but still joy.

I have also made a similar (but smaller) exclude polygon in ADE, as in this thread Landclass Visibility Problem | FSDeveloper (though the thread is for FSX), also without success in removing the default airport background.

I'm wondering if:

1. I'm doing something wrong (probably!)
2. Orbx Global Base or OpenLC North America are causing this issue? (I've searched for these issues specific to Orbx and not found an answer)

If anyone can help me out, I'd be most grateful!

Mark

Attachments

• Sbuilder.png
    Sbuilder.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 138
  • CVX_KORD_1978.BGL
    56 bytes · Views: 136

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Set a polygon of type Exclude Airport Boundaries in SBX. Make sure that it's draw priority in SBX is lower than your new poly. That should remove the old airport background.

Country
us-illinois
Set a polygon of type Exclude Airport Boundaries in SBX. Make sure that it's draw priority in SBX is lower than your new poly. That should remove the old airport background.
Thank you for your reply, Chris. I tried this quickly, and still had no success eliminating the stock airport background. Just to be clear, I should have an Exclude Airport Boundaries polygon (set lower in draw order) and a AB_Flatten_MassClassMap_ExcludeAutogen poly? Do either need to extend outside (or remain inside) of the stock airport boundary, and do they need to be the same footprint or size? I will experiment more with this tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!

Mark

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Thank you for your reply, Chris. I tried this quickly, and still had no success eliminating the stock airport background. Just to be clear, I should have an Exclude Airport Boundaries polygon (set lower in draw order) and a AB_Flatten_MassClassMap_ExcludeAutogen poly? Do either need to extend outside (or remain inside) of the stock airport boundary, and do they need to be the same footprint or size? I will experiment more with this tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!

Mark
Your poly type settings are good. Is this airport an addon airport or stock? Your exclude should contain the entire area that you wish to exclude. Then above that poly should be your new poly, in whatever shape & size you want. If the base airport is an addon airport, your scenery needs to be higher than it in the P3D priority list.

Country
us-illinois
Hello:

As Christopher alludes to above, the required Exclusion type in SBuilderX should be "Type_10 - Exclude All Airport Boundaries".

If the entire KORD area is covered by as few as (2) Airport Boundary exclude CVX vector polygons, they 'may' successfully remove any Airport Boundary in lower Area layers, because the KORD area is split at a boundary of (2) LOD-9 / QMID-11 quad cells (dotted Green line in TMFViewer using LOD-9 grid).

Whether only (1) such Airport Boundary exclude CVX vector polygon 'may' successfully remove any Airport Boundary in lower Area layers ...would require testing. :scratchch

Since a GUID-specific CVX vector exclusion polygon only needs to intersect or overlap poly-lines of the other vector objects they are intended to exclude within each LOD-9 / QMID-11 quad cell, this example work-flow allows a precise exclusion, without impacting visibility of other vector objects within the KORD area in SBuilderX.

However, one must note in both SDK TMFViewer and SBuilderX, the original default Airport Boundary at the KORD area is split into multiple segments within each LOD-9 / QMID-11 quad cell, in addition to being split (aka "clipped") at a boundary of (2) LOD-9 / QMID-11 quad cells (dotted Green line in TMFViewer using LOD-9 grid).

This may prove to be another example of why it is important to follow the "segmented" Exclude / Replace" process of Jim Vile's excellent tutorial cited above.

FYI: Later today, I hope to restore some of Jim's original illustrations via an addendum posting, using images retrieved from an archived copy of the web page for:

[EDITED]

Apparently all externally linked and attached images in Jim's original post are already restored satisfactorily in the tutorial cited above. ;)

[END_EDIT]

I do not have P3Dv5, but here is the KORD CVX vector data from [P3Dv4.5x install path]\Scenery\0302\CVX2417.BGL :

P3Dv5 SDK TMFViewer:

p3dv5_dem0302_cvx2417_lod-11_quad-jpg.70700

SBuilderX - GUID as Appended from a CvxExtractor de-compiled / output from original default FLX Polygon(s) in a ESRI *.SHP File :

p3dv5_dem0302_flx2417_cvxextractor_shp_to_sbuilderx-jpg.70701

SBuilderX - Original Appended default FLX Polygon(s) to be reassigned as AB Exclude GUID:

p3dv5_dem0302_flx2417_cvxextractor_shp_to_sbuilderx_ab_exclude_guid-jpg.70702

PS: It is 'possible' one may also be able to edit vertices for the 'Appended' multiple segmented CVX vector objects, to yield only (2) AB Exclude polygons: (1) for each adjacent quad cell (dotted Red line in SBuilderX using LOD-9 / QMID-11 grid).

BTW: Regarding where to position your custom AB exclude CVX vector polygon BGL, AFAIK, it would be above any / all OrbX FTX scenery Area layers, but below the Area layer for your own custom scenery for KORD ...in FS / P3D Scenery Library GUI (unless one uses Alpha-numeric file names for BGLs kept in single \Scenery folder levels).

Be aware that OrbX / certain other 3rd party scenery packages may use a configuration utility ...which automatically changes relative priorities of their 'own' Area layers: :alert:

Here's an edited excerpt from one of my old posts on the FTX Central "Insertion Point" option for OrbX scenery layers in Scenery Library:

By default, FTX Central utility always re-inserts FTX layers to a position at- / near the top of- P3D Scenery Library GUI stack of layers. :alert:

By default, when the FTX Central configuration utility runs automatically following installation /configuration of OrbX FTX scenery packages:

* Custom entries are added to the 'active' Terrain.Cfg if they are not already present.

* Several OrbX FTX scenery Area layers are added to the 'top' position of the 'active' FS Scenery Library GUI stack of layers.

Because by default, OrbX FTX scenery Area layers are added to the 'top' position of the P3D Scenery Library GUI, custom scenery may not render properly (if at all), so one should allow for non-OrbX add-on or personally-created custom scenery to be loaded later by placing them above the OrbX FTX scenery Area layers ...at- or nearer to- the 'top' position of the FS Scenery Library GUI.

Each time OrbX FTX Central utility is run OrbX FTX scenery Area layers are again automatically added to the 'top' position of the 'active' FS Scenery Library GUI stack of layers by default.

One can change that default behavior of OrbX FTX Central utility by configuring the OrbX FTX scenery Area layers to be automatically placed at a lower position in the 'active' FS Scenery Library GUI stack of layers by:

OrbX FTX Central Menu > Tools > Scenery Library Configuration > FTX Scenery Library Insertion Points

NOTE: Newer versions of OrbX FTX Central utility may be subject to a different menu / dialog configurations :alert:

This results in an assigned position, above which OrbX FTX scenery Area layers will NOT be inserted ...until a new Insertion Point is assigned within that FTX Central utility dialog.

PS: Other considerations may include Alpha-numeric file name contention between the BGL(s) containing the RWY objects from both yourself and OrbX, as well as how your add-on implemented transparency, as in some cases, scenery objects may be 'bleed-through to the top' ...from layers below one's own in the Scenery Library.

I hope this info helps with the troubleshooting process. :)

GaryGB

Attachments

• P3Dv5_DEM0302_CVX2417_LOD-11_QUAD.jpg
    P3Dv5_DEM0302_CVX2417_LOD-11_QUAD.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 1,061
  • P3Dv5_DEM0302_FLX2417_CvxExtractor_SHP_to_SBuilderX.jpg
    P3Dv5_DEM0302_FLX2417_CvxExtractor_SHP_to_SBuilderX.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 1,015
  • P3Dv5_DEM0302_FLX2417_CvxExtractor_SHP_to_SBuilderX_AB_Exclude_GUID.jpg
    P3Dv5_DEM0302_FLX2417_CvxExtractor_SHP_to_SBuilderX_AB_Exclude_GUID.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 997
Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Your poly type settings are good. Is this airport an addon airport or stock? Your exclude should contain the entire area that you wish to exclude. Then above that poly should be your new poly, in whatever shape & size you want. If the base airport is an addon airport, your scenery needs to be higher than it in the P3D priority list.
Chris (or do you prefer Christopher?),

This airport is the stock P3Dv5 KORD. At the moment I'm just trying to get the exclude to work, so I haven't tried to add a new airport background poly yet. When I add my scenery to the P3Dv5 scenery library, it is the top listed item (higher than all other scenery in P3d).

Thank you,

Mark

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hello:

As Christopher alludes to above, the required Exclusion type in SBuilderX should be "Type_10 - Exclude All Airport Boundaries".

If the entire KORD area is covered by as few as (2) Airport Boundary exclude CVX vector polygons, they 'may' successfully remove any Airport Boundary in lower Area layers, because the KORD area is split at a boundary of (2) LOD-9 / QMID-11 quad cells (dotted Green line in TMFViewer using LOD-9 grid).

Whether only (1) such Airport Boundary exclude CVX vector polygon 'may' successfully remove any Airport Boundary in lower Area layers ...would require testing. :scratchch

Since a GUID-specific CVX vector exclusion polygon only needs to intersect or overlap poly-lines of the other vector objects they are intended to exclude within each LOD-9 / QMID-11 quad cell, this example work-flow allows a precise exclusion, without impacting visibility of other vector objects within the KORD area in SBuilderX.

However, one must note in both SDK TMFViewer and SBuilderX, the original default Airport Boundary at the KORD area is split into multiple segments within each LOD-9 / QMID-11 quad cell, in addition to being split (aka "clipped") at a boundary of (2) LOD-9 / QMID-11 quad cells (dotted Green line in TMFViewer using LOD-9 grid).

This may prove to be another example of why it is important to follow the "segmented" Exclude / Replace" process of Jim Vile's excellent tutorial cited above.

FYI: Later today, I hope to restore some of Jim's original illustrations via an addendum posting, using images retrieved from an archived copy of the web page for:

[EDITED]

Apparently all externally linked and attached images in Jim's original post are already restored satisfactorily in the tutorial cited above. ;)

[END_EDIT]

I do not have P3Dv5, but here is the KORD CVX vector data from [P3Dv4.5x install path]\Scenery\0302\CVX2417.BGL :

P3Dv5 SDK TMFViewer:

p3dv5_dem0302_cvx2417_lod-11_quad-jpg.70700

SBuilderX - GUID as Appended from a CvxExtractor de-compiled / output from original default FLX Polygon(s) in a ESRI *.SHP File :

p3dv5_dem0302_flx2417_cvxextractor_shp_to_sbuilderx-jpg.70701

SBuilderX - Original Appended default FLX Polygon(s) to be reassigned as AB Exclude GUID:

p3dv5_dem0302_flx2417_cvxextractor_shp_to_sbuilderx_ab_exclude_guid-jpg.70702

PS: It is 'possible' one may also be able to edit vertices for the 'Appended' multiple segmented CVX vector objects, to yield only (2) AB Exclude polygons: (1) for each adjacent quad cell (dotted Red line in SBuilderX using LOD-9 / QMID-11 grid).

BTW: Regarding where to position your custom AB exclude CVX vector polygon BGL, AFAIK, it would be above any / all OrbX FTX scenery Area layers, but below the Area layer for your own custom scenery for KORD ...in FS / P3D Scenery Library GUI (unless one uses Alpha-numeric file names for BGLs kept in single \Scenery folder levels).

Be aware that OrbX / certain other 3rd party scenery packages may use a configuration utility ...which automatically changes relative priorities of their 'own' Area layers: :alert:

I hope this info helps with the troubleshooting process. :)

GaryGB
Gary,

Thank you for your very comprehensive response. I sincerely appreciate the extensive knowledge and detailed answers that you frequently supply to other's questions here at FSDeveloper. I've followed the techniques described in your post and in the thread from the late Jim Vile's which you linked. I'll outline what I've done here, but spoiler alert - the airport boundary exclusion(s) are still not working for me in the sim. Can you see anything I've done improperly or failed to do?

Edit: Gary, I can see the images in the first part of Jim Vile's linked thread, but not the images where he actually covers making multiple exclusion polys.

1. I displayed the KORD airport boundary polygons (there are 8 of them across the two LOD-9/QMID-11 grids) from CVX2417.bgl (same filename as in FSX) in the P3Dv5 TmfViewer.
Default_P3Dv5_KORD_Sbuilder.png

2. I downloaded CVX Extractor, and used it to decompile the CVX2417.BGL file (same name in P3D as in FSX). From the output files, I then appended the ESRI shapefile to my SBuilderX KORD 1978 project, and deleted all of the other airport boundaries in the file except the 8 that make up KORD. My SbuilderX project has no other polygons at this time, only an older airport map imported from a GEOTiff which is not displayed at this time.
Sbuilder_FLX2417_ESRI_Shapefile.png

3. Since as you noted the airport covers two LOD-9/QMID-11 grids, I chose to make three exclusion polys in SBuilderX, each set as Type_10 - Exclude All Airport Boundaries. These intersect all 8 individual airport boundary polys, and account for the LOD-9/QMID-11 grid boundary.

Sbuilder_KORD_AB_Exlude.png
Sbuilder_KORD_Exlusions.png

4. I then compiled these three exclusion polys into a CVX BGL file using SBuilderX. I then placed the resulting CVX_KORD_1978.BGL file in my KORD 1978\Scenery folder. The only other BGL file in this folder is my working ADE file. The ADE file has no polygons in it, only runways, taxiways, aprons and associated links.
KORD_1978_Scenery_Folder.png

5. In P3Dv5, I added my KORD 1978 scenery to the top of the P3Dv5 scenery library (above all other files, including the Orbx GLobalBase textures and OpenLC landlclass. These two images are before and after images. The before image is the default P3Dv5 KORD (though with the Orbx GLobal Base textures and the Orbx OpenLC North American landclass). You can see in the second image, which is my KORD 1978 scenery, that the ADE/AFCAD file backdates the runway layout, but the stock airport boundary/background does not change. If I understand correctly, the BGL file containing the three exclusion polygons made in SBuilderX should cause the airport grass background to not be displayed (I should see the underlying landclass texture).
2021-3-11_16-46-29-920.jpg
2021-3-15_20-37-12-762.jpg

Do you note any errors or missteps that I may have made in this process?

Thanks again very much for you help Gary!

Mark

Last edited:

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Chris (or do you prefer Christopher?),

This airport is the stock P3Dv5 KORD. At the moment I'm just trying to get the exclude to work, so I haven't tried to add a new airport background poly yet. When I add my scenery to the P3Dv5 scenery library, it is the top listed item (higher than all other scenery in P3d).

Thank you,

Mark
Either or works. I usually go by Chris, mostly because I'm too lazy to type the remaining topher. :D

You should only need to use a single 4-point polygon, even if a QMID intersects the poly. I've never had any issue doing it that way, and have never seen any adverse results because of it. Now, a large coverage area is sometimes a different story, but airport to airport shouldn't matter.

I uninstalled my copy of P3Dv5 to make room for MSFS, so unfortunately, I cant actively test it myself.

I did create a SBX project and tested my exclude in P3Dv4, which worked. I'll attach a zip with the BGL and a SBX file so that you can append it to a SBX project.

Attachments

• KORD_Test.zip
    974 bytes · Views: 135
  • kord_test_p3dv4.jpg
    kord_test_p3dv4.jpg
    787.4 KB · Views: 136
Country
us-illinois
Either or works. I usually go by Chris, mostly because I'm too lazy to type the remaining topher. :D

You should only need to use a single 4-point polygon, even if a QMID intersects the poly. I've never had any issue doing it that way, and have never seen any adverse results because of it. Now, a large coverage area is sometimes a different story, but airport to airport shouldn't matter.

I uninstalled my copy of P3Dv5 to make room for MSFS, so unfortunately, I cant actively test it myself.

I did create a SBX project and tested my exclude in P3Dv4, which worked. I'll attach a zip with the BGL and a SBX file so that you can append it to a SBX project.

I can be lazy too, so I'll use Chris! :)

When I was a kid, we had a neighbor kid who just went by the name "Topher".

I can't open your SBX project, as the 3.15 version of SBuilderX no longer uses SBX files, but SBP files. However, I placed your compiled BGL in my scenery folder in P3Dv5, and voila!

Could I possibly impose on you further to take a screen shot of your exclude poly in SBuilderX so I can see just what you did? I'd like to see if I can reproduce your results.

Thank you very much for taking the time to do this to help me, Chris. It's very much appreciated. By the way, I checked out Emerald Scenery Design - Very impressive!

Mark

2021-3-18_21-12-36-324.jpg

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Mark,
I used 3.15 to generate that SBX file, so it should be there. You need to have a project open first then go to File > Append > SBuilderX SBX. I'll attach a Shape file as another option.

KORD_SBuilderX.jpg

And, no problem. Always enjoy solving a problem. :) Thanks for the kind words.

Attachments

• KORD_FSDev_SHP_reupload.zip
    791 bytes · Views: 121
Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Mark,
I used 3.15 to generate that SBX file, so it should be there. You need to have a project open first then go to File > Append > SBuilderX SBX. I'll attach a Shape file as another option.

View attachment 70789

And, no problem. Always enjoy solving a problem. :) Thanks for the kind words.
Thanks again Chris - mistakenly tried to open the file with SBuilderX, not append it to an open project.

Again, much appreciated!

Mark

Country
us-illinois
Thanks again Chris - mistakenly tried to open the file with SBuilderX, not append it to an open project.

Again, much appreciated!

Mark
Chris and Gary -

I tried to replicate Chris' BGL exclusion in SbuilderX, and I can't get it to work. Opened Chris' BGL with CVX Extracor, and it extracts the expected files. For mine, it yields an error. I'm suspecting my problem is within SBX. It otherwise seems to work fine - can display maps, backgrounds, it produces a BGL file, but the file appears to be defective in some way. Any thoughts?

SbuilderX_error.png

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Interesting. Could be a bugged core file or something wrong with your project. When I updated to 3.15, I did the 3.14 upgrade. I went ahead and downloaded the 3.15 complete download from the PTSim forums. Created a new project in the same area, compiled it and ran it through Cvx Extractor as well. No issues.

Try to redownload 3.15 from here: https://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2459#p8906

Open your project with that and try the same process. If it fails again, upload your SBP project file and I'll see if it compiles on my end.

Country
us-illinois
Edit: Gary, I can see the images in the first part of Jim Vile's linked thread, but not the images where he actually covers making multiple exclusion polys.

Hi Mark:

My addendum post with Jim's restored images is on Page 2 of that same thread ...here: :idea:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/landclass-visibility-problem.15173/post-815139

Are you having any difficulty viewing the attached *.JPG image files when you click the links ? :oops:

If so, let me know, and I'll re-attach the images locally, so they render within the quote (rather than being linked to images attached elsewhere).

Chris and Gary -

I tried to replicate Chris' BGL exclusion in SbuilderX, and I can't get it to work. Opened Chris' BGL with CVX Extracor, and it extracts the expected files. For mine, it yields an error. I'm suspecting my problem is within SBX. It otherwise seems to work fine - can display maps, backgrounds, it produces a BGL file, but the file appears to be defective in some way. Any thoughts?
View attachment 70793

mark_sbuilderx_error-png.70795

Is the ERROR message dialog shown in your screenshot above generated by SBuilderX rather than CvxExtractor ? :scratchch

BTW: If I process Chris' CVX_KORD_Test.BGL via CvxExtractor, the ESRI *.SHP output file EXX_KORD_Test.shp 'Appends' OK in SBuilderX v3.15.

Notice, that as stated in P3D SDK documentation, SHP2VEC "clipped" the original 1-piece CVX poly SBuilderX source data to LOD-9 / QMID-11 quad borders: :pushpin:

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv5/sdk/world/terrain/terrain_overview.html#The Shp2Vec Tool

"The clip levels are the defaults used by Prepar3D data. Clip level 11 is QMID level 11.

Setting higher clip levels will create more detailed data, but at the expense of size and performance.

Note the use of clip level 15 for freeways" (READ: Freeway Traffic CVX vectors -GaryGB).

sbuilderx_christopher_britton_exx_kord_test_shp-jpg.70794

NOTE: That resulting ESRI *.SHP output file: EXX_KORD_Test.shp opens in a GIS application with a 'warped' EPSG:4326 projection format.

AFAIK, all source files used in the SBuilderX work-space must be in a non-warped EPSG:3857 GIS projection format before compiled to BGL, so you may wish to first use a GIS application to re-project any EPSG:4326 source files such as the one cited above into EPSG:3857 format (...prior to 'Appending' them to SBuilderX).

FYI: SBuilderX will automatically re-project EPSG:3857 work-space source data internally to EPSG:4326 before handing it off to the SDK SHP2VEC compiler. ;)

GaryGB

Attachments

• SBuilderX_Christopher_Britton_EXX_KORD_Test_shp.jpg
    SBuilderX_Christopher_Britton_EXX_KORD_Test_shp.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 780
  • Mark_SbuilderX_error.png
    Mark_SbuilderX_error.png
    154.3 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Interesting. Could be a bugged core file or something wrong with your project. When I updated to 3.15, I did the 3.14 upgrade. I went ahead and downloaded the 3.15 complete download from the PTSim forums. Created a new project in the same area, compiled it and ran it through Cvx Extractor as well. No issues.

Try to redownload 3.15 from here: https://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2459#p8906

Open your project with that and try the same process. If it fails again, upload your SBP project file and I'll see if it compiles on my end.

Chris,

It does seem to be an issue with my install of SBX 3.15, which I also downloaded as the stand-along install with no prior 3.14 needed.

If I run your original BGL through CVX Extractor, it produces EXX_KORD_Test .dbf, .shp, .shx and XML files. If I append your SBX file to my project and compile a BGL from it, I get the CVX Extractor error I noted earlier. The only thing that has worked was placing the compiled BGL file that you provided directly into my KORD 1978\Scenery folder.

I made a new SBX project file from scratch, and tried to create a BGL from it, and that also does not work in P3D and also produces the same CVX Extractor error.

I wondered if the BglComp.exe and BglComp.xsd files in the SBX tools folder were not the correct version for P3d, so I temporarily copied versions form the P3D SDK in there (saving the originals in a temp folder), but that also produced a BGL which did not work and created the same error in CVX Extractor.

To redownload and reinstall 3.15 should I first remove my installed 3.15? Or will it install directly over it?

Thanks again.

Mark

Country
us-illinois
Hi Mark:

My addendum post with Jim's restored images is on Page 2 of that same thread ...here: :idea:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/landclass-visibility-problem.15173/post-815139

Are you having any difficulty viewing the attached *.JPG image files when you click the links ? :oops:

If so, let me know, and I'll re-attach the images locally, so they render within the quote (rather than being linked to images attached elsewhere).

Is the ERROR message dialog shown in your screenshot above generated by SBuilderX rather than CvxExtractor ? :scratchch

BTW: If I process Chris' CVX_KORD_Test.BGL via CvxExtractor, the ESRI *.SHP output file EXX_KORD_Test.shp 'Appends' OK in SBuilderX v3.15.

Notice, that as stated in P3D SDK documentation, SHP2VEC "clipped" the original 1-piece CVX poly SBuilderX source data to LOD-9 / QMID-11 quad borders: :pushpin:

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv5/sdk/world/terrain/terrain_overview.html#The Shp2Vec Tool

"The clip levels are the defaults used by Prepar3D data. Clip level 11 is QMID level 11.

Setting higher clip levels will create more detailed data, but at the expense of size and performance.

Note the use of clip level 15 for freeways" (READ: Freeway Traffic CVX vectors -GaryGB).

sbuilderx_christopher_britton_exx_kord_test_shp-jpg.70794

NOTE: That resulting ESRI *.SHP output file: EXX_KORD_Test.shp opens in a GIS application with a 'warped' EPSG:4326 projection format.

AFAIK, all source files used in the SBuilderX work-space must be in a non-warped EPSG:3857 GIS projection format before compiled to BGL, so you may wish to first use a GIS application to re-project any EPSG:4326 source files such as the one cited above into EPSG:3857 format (...prior to 'Appending' them to SBuilderX).

FYI: SBuilderX will automatically re-project EPSG:3857 work-space source data internally to EPSG:4326 before handing it off to the SDK SHP2VEC compiler. ;)

GaryGB

Gary,

I can see your attached images just fine - I was mistakenly expecting to find them restored within Jim's post but could not see those. Doh! :confused:

The error message in my image was from CVX Extractor - checking to see if it could read the BGL I created from SBX 3.15. Chris had supplied a compiled BGL in his original response, which worked in the sim. If I run his BGL through CVX Extractor it correctly shows .dbf, .shp, .shx and XML file outputs.

I then appended his supplied SBX file to my project, and compiled a BGL From his polygon. Similar to the polygon I made myself, the compiled BGL from his polygon does not work in P3D. Running this BGL (made in my SBX from his appended file) through CVX Extractor it also produces the same error I referenced above.

To check if my SBX project file itself might be the problem, I created a new SBX project and drew a new polygon (with the same attributes as the others) and compiled a new BGL. This BGL also produced no result in P3D, and produces the same error in CVX Extractor.

It appears the problem is only with BGL files created by my install of SBX 3.15. I downloaded the full install which does not require a previous version of 3.14. I did a quick check to replace the bglcomp.exe and bglcomp.xsd files with copies from the P3D SDK in case that was an issue, but it produced the same results.

I think a reinstall of SBX 3.15 might be in order, as Chris suggested. Before I do that though, I need to know if I need to uninstall my 3.15 first or if the new download will simply write over the currently installed version. My SBX KORD 1978 project has nothing in it other than this failing BGL exclusion polygon so I won't lose anything of value.

Thanks yet again for the help with this!

Mark

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
Chris,

It does seem to be an issue with my install of SBX 3.15, which I also downloaded as the stand-along install with no prior 3.14 needed.

If I run your original BGL through CVX Extractor, it produces EXX_KORD_Test .dbf, .shp, .shx and XML files. If I append your SBX file to my project and compile a BGL from it, I get the CVX Extractor error I noted earlier. The only thing that has worked was placing the compiled BGL file that you provided directly into my KORD 1978\Scenery folder.

I made a new SBX project file from scratch, and tried to create a BGL from it, and that also does not work in P3D and also produces the same CVX Extractor error.

I wondered if the BglComp.exe and BglComp.xsd files in the SBX tools folder were not the correct version for P3d, so I temporarily copied versions form the P3D SDK in there (saving the originals in a temp folder), but that also produced a BGL which did not work and created the same error in CVX Extractor.

To redownload and reinstall 3.15 should I first remove my installed 3.15? Or will it install directly over it?

Thanks again.

Mark
You can run SBuilderX side-by-side. It wont mess up anything. I downloaded it and ran from my downloads folder. I wouldn't get rid of the old copy until you know that it's the issue.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Mark:

I agree with Christopher's recommendation to try a new installation of SBuilderX v3.15. :)

Richard Ludowise (aka "rhumbaflappy", aka "Dick") has made a full install of SBuilderX v3.15 inside a ZIP file that can be un-ZIPped to your chosen location.

This will be totally independent from any other installation of SBuilderX 3.14 or 3.15.

If necessary, rename your old folder chain from any prior SBuilderX installations to avoid a conflict with the one inside Dick's ZIP file.

Here is a couple of excerpts from my older posts with some pertinent info:

First, I would recommend that you use the newest SBuilderX version 3.15:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sbuilderx-v315.441705/

NOTE: For use of SBuilderX with Windows-10, it is now recommended that you perform a new install of SBuilderX version 3.15 which is kept entirely separate from any existing SBuilderX version 3.13 or 3.14 installation:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sbuilderx-v315.441705/

rhumbaflappy said:
I have made a full zipped version of the program, with all folders filled for immediate use without a previous installation of version 3.14:

Full SbuilderX v315

1.) If desired, ZIP any existing *.SBP project and/or *.SBX exchange format data files and save to a different 'backup' folder

2.) Place the SBX315.zip file (cited above) within the root of ex: drive D:\

3.) Use ex: WinRAR free demo version to extract (de-archive) that ZIP file with all its nested sub-folder intact

https://www.win-rar.com/download.html?&L=0

NOTE: Be certain that WinRAR is set to "Extract Relative Paths" to preserve folder structure when un-ZIP-ing. :pushpin:

You should end up with a ready-to-use install of SBuilderX version 3.15 containing all required folders and files.

4.) Browse to ex: D:\SBX315\SBuilderX.exe

a.) Right-click > choose Create Shortcut

b.) Within the D:\SBX315\SBuilderX folder, Right-click the new 'Shortcut' to SBuilderX.exe (the one with a small arrow on it)

(1) From the Right-click pop-up context menu, choose 'Properties'

(2) In the 'Properties' dialog, choose the {Compatibility} tab

(3) On the 'Properties' dialog {Compatibility} tab, Left-click [Change settings for all users] button

(4) In 'Properties' {Compatibility} tab [Change settings for all users] dialog, check 'Run this program as an administrator'

(5) Left-click [OK] button]

(6) Back on the 'Properties' dialog {Compatibility} tab, Left-click [OK] button]

c.) Within the D:\SBX315\SBuilderX folder, double-Left-click the new 'Shortcut' to SBuilderX.exe (it has a small 'arrow' on it)

d.) You should now be able to run SBuilderX version 3.15 as an Administrator without file / folder path permission errors.

SBuilderX version 3.15 is compatible with P3Dv4.4 (and P3Dv5.x; this example work-flow is for P3Dv4.x). :pushpin:

Be certain a 'current' version of FSUIPC compatible with P3Dv4.4 is installed (...also required for ADE and other FS utilities). ;)

As with prior versions of FSX and/or P3D, decide which version of FS you wish to output for when compiling scenery in SBuilderX, and be certain that the SDK "Tools" specific to that version of FS are the only ones located within:

[SBuilderX315 install path]\Tools sub-folder

NOTE: The above cited required FS SDK "Tools" include these SDK compilers and SDK compilation-related configuration files:

Included with "Full SBuilderX" version 3.15 ZIP package:

EXX.xml XML Document
FLX.xml XML Document
FWX.xml XML Document
HGX.xml XML Document
HLX.xml XML Document
HPX.xml XML Document
PKX.xml XML Document
RDX.xml XML Document
RRX.xml XML Document
STX.xml XML Document
UTX.xml XML Document

bglcomp.exe Application (FS2004)
bglcomp.xsd XSD File (FS2004)

FSX or P3D files NOT included with "full" SBuilderX" version 3.15 ZIP package::

bglcomp.exe Application
bglcomp.xsd XSD File

FSX: [FSX SDK install path]\SDK\Environment Kit\BGL Compiler SDK\

P3Dv4.4: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.4.16.27106\World\Scenery\

Managed_CrashTree.dll DLL File
Managed_Lookup_Keyword.dll DLL File

FSX: [FSX SDK install path]\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\FSX_GmaxGamePack\Plugins\

P3Dv4.4: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.4.16.27106\Modeling\3ds Max\Common\Plugins\

ImageTool.exe Application

FSX: [FSX SDK install path]\SDK\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK\ImageTool.exe

P3Dv4.4: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.4.16.27106\ImageTool.exe

Resample.exe Application
Shp2Vec.exe Application

FSX: [FSX SDK install path]\SDK\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK\

P3Dv4.4: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.4.16.27106\World\Terrain\

Terrain.cfg CFG File

FSX: [FSX install path]\ (...main root folder)

P3Dv4.4: < ? >

XToMdl.exe Application

FSX: [FSX SDK install path]\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\FSX_GmaxGamePack\Plugins\XToMdl.exe

P3Dv4.4: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.4.16.27106\Modeling\3ds Max\Common\Plugins\XToMdl.exe

FYI: These 'could' be swapped in and out of ZIP archives kept in that same sub-folder using a batch file, PowerBuilder etc.

PS: You may find these SDK files easier by looking at file / folder path info in Arno's ModelConverterX (aka "MCX") > Options

Yes SBuilderX version 3.15 is compatible with P3Dv4.4. :pushpin:

Be certain a 'current' version of FSUIPC compatible with P3Dv4.4 is installed (...also required for ADE and other FS utilities). ;)

As with prior versions of FSX and/or P3D, decide which version of FS you wish to output for when compiling scenery in SBuilderX, and be certain that the SDK "Tools" specific to that version of FS are the only ones located within:

[SBuilderX315 install path]\Tools sub-folder

NOTE: The above cited required FS SDK "Tools" include these SDK compilers and SDK compilation-related configuration files:

Code:
bglcom9.exe                                     Application     (FS2004)
bglcom9.xsd                                     XSD File        (FS2004)

FSX or P3D files:

bglcomp.exe                                     Application
bglcomp.xsd                                     XSD File
EXX.xml                                         XML Document
FLX.xml                                         XML Document
FWX.xml                                         XML Document
HGX.xml                                         XML Document
HLX.xml                                         XML Document
HPX.xml                                         XML Document
ImageTool.exe                                   Application
Managed_CrashTree.dll                           DLL File
Managed_Lookup_Keyword.dll                      DLL File
PKX.xml                                         XML Document
RDX.xml                                         XML Document
resample.exe                                    Application
RRX.xml                                         XML Document
Shp2Vec.exe                                     Application
STX.xml                                         XML Document
terrain.cfg                                     CFG File
UTX.xml                                         XML Document
XToMdl.exe                                      Application

FYI: These 'could' be swapped in and out of ZIP archives kept in that same sub-folder using a batch file, PowerBuilder etc.

PS: You may find these SDK files easier by looking at file / folder path info in Arno's ModelConverterX (aka "MCX") > Options

Hope this helps ! :)

AFAIK, the following 'should' work to use P3D SDK's with SBuilderX; if not let me know. ;)

1.) After having installed P3Dv4.4 SDK to its default location, run:

C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.4.16.27106\ConfigSDK.exe

2.) In Arno's ModelConverterX (aka "MCX"):

a.) MCX Menu > Options > {Left Pane} > Exporter Settings > {Right Pane}: Note the info for all Exporter files required by SBuilderX :

P3Dv4_[SDK Compiler or other file name]_Path

b.) MCX Menu > Options > {Left Pane} > FS Related Settings > {Right Pane} > P3Dv4_Path (...to modeldef.xml) > Browse / select:

C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.4.16.27106\Modeling\3ds Max\bin\modeldef.xml

c.) Note the info for:

P3Dv4_Path (...to modeldef.xml)

3.) In SBuilderX version 3.15 (...opened concurrently with an instance of MCX running as cited above)

a.) SBuilderX Menu > Edit > FSX Settings > Name of the simulator: P3Dv4.4

b.) SBuilderX Menu > Edit > FSX Settings > {FSX\Tools folder required files} > [Copy From...] > Browse paths in MCX 'Options' cited above

PS: I added path info in my post above, for FSX / P3Dv4.4 SDK files required to be in: SBuilderX install path\Tools sub-folder:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/sbuilderx-v315-p3dv4-4-compatibility.444429/post-813659

Hope this helps ! :)

PS: It has been a while since you first began working on this project; ...remember this thread ? ;)

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ideas-for-terrain-textures-for-historic-airport.426230/

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
You can run SBuilderX side-by-side. It wont mess up anything. I downloaded it and ran from my downloads folder. I wouldn't get rid of the old copy until you know that it's the

Thanks Chris! From Gary's reply after yours, I found that I probably had not set up the links to the P3Dv5.1 SDK tools properly. By copying the individual files to the SBX315 Tools folder, I now am able to produce a working exclusion polygon - Thank you for all of your help on this!

Mark