• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

GP Textures Rename

Country
italy
Hi,
I renamed some texture I already used in my project. But doing so, now I realised that I have to re-edit all the ground polygons I created. This is not so easy. Would it be possible to have a group edit function, like that for the layer level, that allow to change only the name of the texture used without the necessity to re-edit the gp?
Thanks.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
If it is only the texture name, then you can edit/replace all instances of the text string in the .X file using Notepad. It seems like you could automate this with a few clicks in the Batch Convert Wizard.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
That would be new feature development for both Jon & me. I'll let Jon speak for himself nut, to me, this is self-inflicted injury simply for personal preference.

Why don't you just create duplicate textures, naming them as you have in the GPs.

Country
italy
If it is only the texture name, then you can edit/replace all instances of the text string in the .X file using Notepad. It seems like you could automate this with a few clicks in the Batch Convert Wizard.
Thanks Rick, this could be a good way but I don't know exactly where to find the .X file you are talking about.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I could observe that the efficiency of the render, is what many of us focus on, which is absolutely unaffected by the number, or arrangement of characters in the name text string.

The .x file is a format any .bgl file can be compiled to. You can scan .bgl files with Notepad, possibly locate the test strings you want to edit, but .bgl file format uses characters and formatting that are not recognized by Notepad, .x file format does not.

Country
italy
I could observe that the efficiency of the render, is what many of us focus on, which is absolutely unaffected by the number, or arrangement of characters in the name text string.

The .x file is a format any .bgl file can be compiled to. You can scan .bgl files with Notepad, possibly locate the test strings you want to edit, but .bgl file format uses characters and formatting that are not recognized by Notepad, .x file format does not.
Rick, I’m not focused on the efficiency of the render. It was just away to organise the name of my textures to give me a better and quicker way to recognise them.

I usually use notepad++ that is more and more powerful than notepad. Anyway, what is the way to have .x file? It seems that ADE does not produce that kind of file.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
In the case of ADE, I believe it is the XML file, which you can save in File/Compile Airport/Advanced. Edit, then compile using BGLComp.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
In the case of ADE, I believe it is the XML file, which you can save in File/Compile Airport/Advanced. Edit, then compile using BGLComp.
Be aware that elements in ADE are stored in the .ad4 project file and manual changes to the XML would be overwritten by what is in that file. ADE 2020 for MSFS does use the XML as its source so that changes made to it outside of ADE would be reflected in the ADE design. This is not something that will come into earlier versions of ADE though. I suppose it could be wrangled but it would not be an easy process

To be clear in all versions of ADE other than 2020 the XML is generated from the ADE project file format at compile time. In ADE 2020 it can be set up to be the other way round

Country
italy
Ok, thanks both of you. The only thing is, if I'm not wrong, that after compile I do not have any xml related to the GP part