• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS 2020 SDK Installation instructions

Country
norway
...Even if the info below may also have been adressed in some of the replies already I thought it was so important that I made it a separate topic so it could be easier to find for all of us :)

The instructions for getting the SDK is originating from this post: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-getting-started-with-the-sdk-dev-mode/123241

For those without the desire to follow links in forums here's a text-quote with blunt copy/paste :

Step 1: Turn on Developer Mode using the General Menu. This will turn on the additional menu items at the top.

Step 2: Install the SDK by going to the help menu and selecting SDK Installer

After the MSFS_SDK_Installer.msi file downloads, open it. SDK Install

Step 3: Locate Documentation folder (from the setup above)

Step 4: Open the compiled HTML file (.CHM)

Step 6: Create!

Disclaimer: I have not confirmed it myself yet since I'm sitting here and browsing forums while the installation is goig on ...just 67 GB left.... :)
But I though it I would pass it on while I'm passing some time. :idea: And if it's not correct we could delete it later.... maybe someone else can confirm it meanwhile....

Edit: I can confirm it that It actually worked(!) although some incomplete parts...
:cool:

Last edited:

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
One thing that was excellent about the SDK installation is that it automatically installed the plugins for 3ds Max. No more pointing to the plugins from within 3ds Max. The tabs were there right next to the P3D plugin tabs when I started 3ds Max.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
One thing that was excellent about the SDK installation is that it automatically installed the plugins for 3ds Max. No more pointing to the plugins from within 3ds Max. The tabs were there right next to the P3D plugin tabs when I started 3ds Max.
That's only useful if one has Max and MSFS installed on the same computer. I don't...

I have a development computer at my main desk (where I spend most of my day) and the sim computer in another room entirely. So I have to export/compile across a high-speed LAN (1Gbt).

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
That's only useful if one has Max and MSFS installed on the same computer. I don't...

I have a development computer at my main desk (where I spend most of my day) and the sim computer in another room entirely. So I have to export/compile across a high-speed LAN (1Gbt).
I don't know if your complaining or bragging? ;)

Country
spain

you can install the FS2020 on both computers and use one or the other interchangeably, I have it like this and it works perfectly

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I'll eventually get around to installing MSFS on my current dev computer, but I've got a lot of file clean up work to do first... :rotfl:

Country
unitedstates
I find it interesting that only max 2020 gets all of the plugins installed automatically ( according to someone on the FS forums ). I have max 2018 and I only get a few plugins. I don't have the multi-exporter plugin for example.

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I find it interesting that only max 2020 gets all of the plugins installed automatically ( according to someone on the FS forums ). I have max 2018 and I only get a few plugins. I don't have the multi-exporter plugin for example.
I think you just might have fixed my problem (Max 2019). I get a max script error when selecting a flightsim texture related to DirectX shaders. I bet it's a missing plugin.

Country
unitedstates
I think you just might have fixed my problem (Max 2019). I get a max script error when selecting a flightsim texture related to DirectX shaders. I bet it's a missing plugin.
Hi Paul. I got that same error and when I upgraded to Win10 it went away. My computer that has 3ds was running Win 7. The flightsim materials script apparently doesn't like Win 7. If you already have Win 10 and getting that error then it might be video card related but not sure on that one.

Country
canada
Can anyone with experience with the 3DS Max plugins say what they do? I assume they add GLtf import and export. But do they do more? Blender has GLtf in and out, but not for MSFS specifically. I'm a long time Maya user and lt looks like I'll need to learn Blender or Max? Been playing with Blender and it's pretty cool, Eevee is really outstanding for a real time renderer. But if there's significant advantages for using Max, I'll consider paying for it.

Here's the 'flightsim' menu from 3DS 2019. I understand that other versions differ.
SDK1.jpg

The exporter:
SDK2.jpg

The flightsim material:
SDK3.jpg

You can also add native flightsim lights.

Country
canada
Here's the 'flightsim' menu from 3DS 2019. I understand that other versions differ.

The exporter:

The flightsim material:

You can also add native flightsim lights.
That's exceedingly helpful! I may have to get a demo of 3DS to see in more detail what's possible. Looks like there are lot's of specific MSFS functionalities in these plug ins. I wonder if there's any possibility some of this functionality will make it into Blender tools?

I really would rather spend time learning Blender even if it was the same price as 3DS, and of course I free is an advantage. But this does indicate there are distinct advantages to 3DS for MSFS Development.

But this does indicate there are distinct advantages to 3DS for MSFS Development.
Yes and no. I went with 3DS Max mainly because I'd previously used GMAX, and didn't fancy learning an entirely new tool:) Plus, of course, there's the Indie license, which made it a lot more affordable for me. And my thinking was that using the 'official' tool would be better in the long run.
But if I was starting again, and didn't have a background in Gmax, I might go with Blender, as there seems to be a lot more community tutorials specifically for MSFS. I don't think I've seen anything for MSFS/3DS Max.
Max certainly seems to simplify things which Blender complicates by necessity.

Country
australia
I have just done a complete rebuild of MSFS this week, which means I now have version 10 SDK.
It is good that we can rename aprons, polygons etc.
I did not find how to save the project, and did not see how to build the project, as the way I used to do it seems to have gone?

The console has also changed, and again, I did not see how I can clear the console before rebuilding to see current comments.
Geoff

Country
australia
OK, I resolved the save and build issue. I had my Project Editor box underneath my Scenery Editor box, and could not see the [project name]. BGL file to open the build button on the Inspector box. I just need to organise the various boxes a tad better.
The console appears to have an 'eraser' icon at the top of the console page now, rather than the previous two buttons at the bottom of the console.

I have attached a pic of my screen with the typical 8 boxes I have open. If you have a small screen, it will be busy. Fortunately, I have a 32"

Attachments

• SDK ver 10 .JPG
    SDK ver 10 .JPG
    725.2 KB · Views: 270

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Boy howdy, do they ever! I just (finally) got around to installing the MSFS2020 SDK and I had the Max 2018 'plugin' installed. I have nowhere near those those options available! :eek:o_O