• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS 3-D Lights in MSFS

Country
switzerland
Hi Christian
Is this what you're talking about with the LOD-solution?
I gave up on it because it just seems a ridiculous workaround when there clearly exists a proper way to do it.

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hi Christian
Is this what you're talking about with the LOD-solution?
I gave up on it because it just seems a ridiculous workaround when there clearly exists a proper way to do it.
Yes exactly! That would be my approach, namely a linear enlargement of the light source with increasing distance :)
But so far I have been able to avoid a corona. Probably it is up to you on the material itself (texture), or on the material settings.
At the moment I still have to find out how to get the glTF models into the LOD system of the MSFS.

Happy New Year
Christian

Country
switzerland
Happy new year to you too

There are a few issues with this approach:
  1. Most importantly: I don't want to invest a lot of effort into such an inelegant workaround if there is a proper way to do it that we will be able to use sometime soon (?).
  2. Such lights are very small and the models must be oversized for the LOD mechanism to work as we would like. That's why the base protrudes 10 meters into the ground on my models.
  3. Many LOD levels needed to make the light not appear "popping" when changing Level.
  4. The required size of an emissive sphere to be visible from a few km out would be ridiculous. Several meters I guess. (the protrusion into the ground would also have to be more than 10 meters)
If you're interested I'll happily send you what I've done so far. Personally I just don't think it's the way to go.

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
That roughly coincides with my expectations and experiences with the 3-D lights for the P3D. There the largest light with LOD_05 is 10m meters tall. So that the light does not sink into the ground, it could be held a little above the ground according to its dimensions (raise?):

msfs_3d_lights.jpg

As I understood and saw, objects in MSFS no longer pop up. The models are faded! This creates a smooth transition between the various LOD models. I last saw this on a windsock I had developed. The fades 3 previously defined animations.

The possibility of objects popping up is of little consequence when the model is enlarged linearly: they are loaded one after the other. At the moment I'm distracted with another project, but on the side I try something with the 3-D lights every now and then. Maybe there is a solution from the developer in the meantime, then you don't need your own solution :)

Country
switzerland
Well, unfortunately I don't have any experience with previous iterations of FS. If that's the way it was done, then it's possibly not too bad - yet, the point-light/corona solution (that is somehow already there) seems to be the way to go long term.

And I think you're right about the fading, so there's no "popping" per se. But: In a row of identical lights you would still get unwanted effects with a too small number of LODs. Maybe "grouping" or "steps" would be a better word.

Country
us-newyork
Hi guys, I'm not sure if you all are still interested on using custom models of taxi lights in MSFS. Something I discovered two months ago is the fact that there's an [WIP] option in the SDK when placing light rows that 1. You can replace the light rows with one of your 3D models and 2. You can choose any type of color on your taxi lights. I dropped the concept and kept the default lights because I wasn't able to load my scenery until these experimental options from Asobo were removed. I'm assuming this is the way to do it when this feature is fully working properly in the SDK. Pardon my ignorance if you guys knew this.

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Hi.

Yes, it has already become known that Asobo has created this new way of placing lights. These "Asobo Airport Lights" are already included in the current project:

mfs_dortmund_asobo_airport_taxi_licht_2.jpg

My other projects have yet to be updated with the new lights.

In principle, the exact procedure with the Asobo lights can also be described and discussed here. So who has the time and inclination ... :)

Country
unitedkingdom
What I'm looking for is a free floating and freely placeable light that is of a similar intensity/ visibility to runway lights that also have selectable characteristics.

I've seen a few workarounds but they're very convoluted and it's silly the SDK doesn't provide anything.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
But I don't want to create my own lights. I know it's possible.

I don't understand why they haven't provided a free floating light with all of the existing characteristics their other lights have.

This thread demonstrates you have to come up with some pretty strange methods to attempt to match what they have in the sim. And so far none of them look anywhere near as convincing.

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Sorry, then you expressed yourself incorrectly. The 3-D lights you are looking for are well to very well documented in the SDK! You can modify the lights and give them your own properties. The size as well as the color and also the intensity of the lights can be adjusted. Furthermore, the direction of the lights and also the height above the ground can be adjusted. It really doesn't get any easier than that ;-)

Country
unitedkingdom
I presume you're referring to light creation. Creators shouldn't need to do that. All Asobo need to do is combine what they already offer inside the SDK with more options.

I have created lights with Blender. It's the same old visibility problems that you have to work around with hidden giant boxes and messing around with cone sizes. So far I can't make anything that matches a standard MSFS light.

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Country
germany
All Asobo need to do is combine what they already offer inside the SDK with more options.
They've already done that, but you don't seem to understand ;)

Apparently we're talking past each other. No need to create lights in Blender or wherever. The mentioned Asobo lights are already available, they can be accessed and modified via the MSFS Scenery Editor:

Screenshot (1400).jpg

The green underfloor lights as well as the blue taxi lights can be easily reached and placed.

These types of lights are known as Asobo lights and have been around for a long time! Information on this is available in the documentation for the MSFS SDK.

Have you read the SDK yet?

Country
unitedkingdom
Hmm. Maybe not.

The original SDK documents were so terrible I didn't check again. I will have a look now. Thanks for the info.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I presume you're referring to light creation. Creators shouldn't need to do that. All Asobo need to do is combine what they already offer inside the SDK with more options.

I have created lights with Blender. It's the same old visibility problems that you have to work around with hidden giant boxes and messing around with cone sizes. So far I can't make anything that matches a standard MSFS light.
Be aware that MSFS is developed from previous versions. That original software was proprietary and was never released. The code was written, the .bgl format was created and the tools to compile and decompile were provided, but the source code was not provided. The software was created by Bruce Artwick and sold to Microsoft, the "B" in .bgl stands for Bruce.
Everything developed since, FSX:SE, P3D, MSFS, all were written by reverse engineering this code and this is probably the main reason MSFS remains "mired" in the FSX .mdl/.bgl schema, when everything else has changed so radically.

Why this matters is that previously, we'd never had control over those floating lights. We could eliminate them, we could fake them, but when you write about a configurable, approach style light - well it seems humorous, to say the least. It was virtually impossible, in FSX.
Asobo has made the process so incredibly easier - I mean the biggest problem with Asobo environmentals is removing them, imo, but when Christian informs, "they've already done that," we really should feel the weight of his years of experience.

Bear in mind, what Asobo "offers in their SDK" is not as it seems. They got a sample of advanced alien technology, translated it to English, or human and released it as their own. Now they are crafty, tricky little magicians, over there in Bordeaux and they have tinkered a lot, on our behalf, but they did not author the original code and there is much of it that remains a mystery.

Country
unitedkingdom
Well, I can't find any modifiable or freely placeable light in the object list other than the general lights such as light_warm and friends.

There are lightrows. They are not freely placeable.

I need something with the same visibility, draw distance and characteristics as a runway or taxi light that I can insert anywhere at any height that isn't bound to the terrain.

Do these lights have a name I've missed? Or is it a mysterious section I haven't explored yet?

Last edited:
Country
us-newyork
No need to create lights in Blender or wherever. The mentioned Asobo lights are already available, they can be accessed and modified via the MSFS Scenery Editor:

The green underfloor lights as well as the blue taxi lights can be easily reached and placed.

These types of lights are known as Asobo lights and have been around for a long time! Information on this is available in the documentation for the MSFS SDK.

Have you read the SDK yet?
exactly.

Country
norway
1: Make a light preset. Ideally make sure the light has a positive height position so it's not below ground level. SDK - Light preset
2: Place the light using lightrow and select your preset in the list. Having a single light option would be great, but this is what we have for now. Make the row short and uncheck snap to vertices and it should only show one.
3: Place a light support rectangle on your light and adjust its height. The lightsupport rectangle adjusts elevation of all the lights it covers.

There was a bug that would cause the scenery loading to halt if you had more than one light per preset or no mesh for the light, but that was fixed in the last sim update.

All runway lights, end lights, taxi lights and approach lights at ENSH are placed using light presets and light rows.
1625803988697.png

Country
us-california
Why can’t asobo simply make available the taxi lights they use. Pick one, place it, select color and move to next? I seen taxi light that are blue but they don’t light up!

Country
israel
Hello all
I hope not to wake up some dead issue.
I have questions three s please
1.there is a way to control LOD view as you can see in my attached picture?
2.there there is a way to choose my model in/via the lightrow? I think I missing something in SDK light preset
3.this question is for Christian :) in you picture i guess you manage to put the blue bulb in your model correct me if wrong
as you can see I have A LOD issue
B.D.W. in the model in taxi blue1 looks much similar to the lamp in my scenery LLBG so if there is a way I'll can improving the model. and placing with two ways 1 with spacing tool in 3dsmax I have all taxi line base line from P3dv a lot easier 2 with lightrow
starting drawing ALL from start.
It quit big and messy airport
Thank for any answer
David

Attachments

• DSCF1160.JPG
    DSCF1160.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 178
  • mfs_dortmund_asobo_airport_taxi_licht_2.jpg
    mfs_dortmund_asobo_airport_taxi_licht_2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
  • taxi blue1.jpg