• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

3DS and LODs

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Messages
34,632
Country
netherlands
I have a question for you. I am working on exporting LOD information to the 3DS file format. The problem is that the format is old and has some annoying limitations. For example the part name can be 10 characters maximum.

LODs will need a name like _LOD_nnn, which uses 8 characters already. So for the remaining two I can use a number to make them unique. That works, but when exporting in GMax you get loads of warnings when an object name starts with a number.

So what is more annoying? Renaming all parts? Missing part of the LOD information? All suggestions are welcome, I want it to be as easy to use as possible.
 
What about numbering LOD + 160d and showing the resulting number in hex?

This way you'll have A0 to FF as prefixes. This means 95 different LOD'd.

Cheers
 
Hi,

That might be an option indeed. I was hoping to keep the _LOD_nnn in the name, so that the user does not have to setup the proper LOD naming again. But maybe there is no way to keep that schema with only 10 characters.
 
Dumb question - but, while understanding that one wants to avoid groups, if one creates an GRP1_LOD_100; GRP2_LOD_050, and groups all LOD 100 parts under GRP1_LOD_100, etc., would not the LOD visibility be controlled by the topmost GRP1_LOD_100 node?

That way, it's easier selecting all XX_LOD_400 parts and making them children of the one GRP1_LOD_100 node and teh part name could start with an alpha character, instead of a numberic character.

?
 
Hi Felix,

I would have to check if I can do groups in the 3DS format, not sure about that. Also I don't know if they would have a similar short restriction on the naming length.

Else I should maybe just use letters instead of numbers to identify parts. So starting with AA, AB, etc.
 
I have implemented that now and it is in the next nightly build. Should make exporting again from GMax a bit easier :).
 
Back
Top