• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS A little help with skin and bones 3ds Max

Country
australia
Hi folks, was just in need of a little help please. I am working on an aircraft project for FS2020 in 3ds Max and have run into a bit of trouble. I am currently working on the wings and getting the wing flex animation to work with a skin modifier which works just fine. However when I add a skin modifier to the slats, they stop working altogether. I have tried various approaches, namely, another set of bones for the slats themselves but no luck, I have tried using a helper and adding the bones to it but no luck. Just seems that no matter what I do, nothing seems to work. What I want to achieve if for the flaps, slats, spoilers ailerons etc. all animate as they should but also flex with the wing. If anyone has any experience in this area, I would very much appreciate a kick in the right direction. Many thanks in advance.

Country
us-ohio
Hello "T", Heres a WAG for You. Either Re Attach Your slats, ailerons, flaps etc. back on the wing, making it a single object, add Your skin modifier, then break your bits back out again ? or go back to your original wing object, apply your modifier, make sure it works, and then break out Your Controls . This is just My idea, not actually anything I have actually done ! - Johnman

Country
australia
Hello "T", Heres a WAG for You. Either Re Attach Your slats, ailerons, flaps etc. back on the wing, making it a single object, add Your skin modifier, then break your bits back out again ? or go back to your original wing object, apply your modifier, make sure it works, and then break out Your Controls . This is just My idea, not actually anything I have actually done ! - Johnman
Thats an idea John, will give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.

Country
australia
No dice johnman, still does not work but thank you for the suggestion. Regards

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Make certain that your 'bones' are not a child of any other objects. In other words, at the root level of the scene.

Assign the 'bones' to the skinned object (flaps, ailerons, etc.).

Country
australia
Make certain that your 'bones' are not a child of any other objects. In other words, at the root level of the scene.

Assign the 'bones' to the skinned object (flaps, ailerons, etc.).
Hi Bill, nice to hear from you. Hope you are well and you got your frozen pipes sorted. Re. the model, they are at scene root level, however any children which have animations of their own cease to operate when adding the skin modifier

Country
us-florida
I figured it out in Cinema4D, easier to animate.
ezgif-6-af4a80a8905d.gif