• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 add aircraft and airport trouble

Kevin, the traffic file and the flight plan files match (no surprise there). As for performance, they depart on schedule. (I note the flight plan has a weekly period. They are only going to move on Tuesday!

As for the select single aircraft issue, I still can't duplicate. But, I'll keep looking.

Don

The traffic file that was sent was compiled with TT Tools using the same files complied with AIFP. If I compile it with AIFP though nothing happens.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
If I compile it with AIFP though nothing happens.
I'll try that.

In the meantime, I have fixed the Aircraft Editor issue I discovered this morning. I don't see how it could be causing your select single aircraft problem, but just in case, please download 2.2.10(c), the current AIFP Development release at http://stuff4fs.com

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
If I compile it with AIFP though nothing happens.
I've just compiled it with AIFP and the aircraft still depart at 14:00 UTC on Tuesday.

Don't know what to tell you.

Don

I've just compiled it with AIFP and the aircraft still depart at 14:00 UTC on Tuesday.

Don't know what to tell you.

Don

Appreciate the effort but unfortunately nothing has changed on my end. Still can't add an aircraft to a flightplan and if I import the flightplan and compile nothing happens. Thanks for trying.

-Kevin

I just found out something else. If I'm at the screenshot posted above and change the A/C Reference number then click to exit out it asks me if I want to save the changes. When I click yes it then pops up and says the value of "Cruise Speed" is invalid. Clicking ok does nothing but continue to show the un-editable Aircraft Editor.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
That's understandable. AIFP won't let you save invalid values of cruise speed (or anything else that matters)

Just noticed on the same screenshots that on the Aircraft Editor FS9 is selected (even though you don't have FS9) but on the Select Aircraft dialog FSX is selected. That's legitimate because you could be preparing flight plans for FS9 even though it's not installed on the system. But I wonder if this mixing of versions is somehow at fault.

Since I have all versions of FS/Prepar3d installed, I can't test for this situation. Please check it out.

Don

That's understandable. AIFP won't let you save invalid values of cruise speed (or anything else that matters)

Just noticed on the same screenshots that on the Aircraft Editor FS9 is selected (even though you don't have FS9) but on the Select Aircraft dialog FSX is selected. That's legitimate because you could be preparing flight plans for FS9 even though it's not installed on the system. But I wonder if this mixing of versions is somehow at fault.

Since I have all versions of FS/Prepar3d installed, I can't test for this situation. Please check it out.

Don

You're are correct and I noticed that also. When that screen originally opens up and I select the aircraft for a brief second it's on FSX then it moves to FS9. I can click the fsx button and it does move but the second I lift off the mouse it reverts right back to FS9. It does that no matter what aircraft I select. This happens in the aircraft editor window only.

Thanks Don. I found an old copy v2.1.11.0 and everything works as expected. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the current version but it works for now.

-Kevin

Hi Don,

Just one more question: where and how does AIFP look for the aircraft?
I explain: I have a non activated backup copy of FSX on my external harddrive and an empty fsx.cfg but I do have all my aircraft and all other folders. But when I try to make an FSX flightplan and add an aircraft by title, it says it cannot access aircraft folders. When I try to add by path, it says "unable to find/access mdl file to obtain aircraft radius..." but the wingspan and everything else is there. Trying to use the selected aircraft once again results in a 'unable to access aircraft folder'.
Not sure if this is due to my non activated FSX or still a bug in AIFP.
Fyi, the oldest previous version of AIFP I have available here (09) has the same problems as the later ones except the 2210(c).

Roby

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
or still a bug in AIFP
OR STILL A BUG???

AIFP finds FSX aircraft by referring to the FSX.cfg file- the same way that FSX finds them. AIFP also refers to the system registry to obtain path information for all versions of FlightSim. So, if FSX isn't installed in the normal way, many AIFP functions will be inoperable.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I noticed that also. When that screen originally opens up and I select the aircraft for a brief second it's on FSX then it moves to FS9.
Kevin, After some experimentation, I've discovered that this FS9/FSX "confusion" does not occur if the option Maintain Installed A/C List(s) is not checked.

Before I start "messing around" in that code, please confirm whether or not you had this option selected and, if so, uncheck it and see if the "select single aircraft by title" issue still exists.

Seems like your last update (c) fixed the problems for my FS9. Many thanks.
Roby, including the berserk Collect Airports?

Don

Kevin, After some experimentation, I've discovered that this FS9/FSX "confusion" does not occur if the option Maintain Installed A/C List(s) is not checked.

Before I start "messing around" in that code, please confirm whether or not you had this option selected and, if so, uncheck it and see if the "select single aircraft by title" issue still exists.

Don

Don, it was checked so I un-checked it, restarted AIFP, but still had the same result. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that it reads from the aircraft.cfg file and am wondering if the update from Jans FDE's could have anything to do with this. The file I sent you included the FDE from Jan for that aircraft. Did you notice anything peculiar?

Thanks Don,
-Kevin

Hi Don,

Yup, including the berserk Collect Airports:).
Thanks for enlightening me on the way AIFP looks for the aircraft. My fsx.cfg is blank, so that figures. Pity though that I cannot make any flightplans without having an active FSX as airports can be added but aircraft cannot.

Roby

PS: which reminds me of the fact that I had recently to manually add the path to my FS9.cfg as well because it had remained empty in the AIFP.ini. But nonetheless everything worked fine before even in the absence of the fs9.cfg path in the AIFP.ini:confused:.

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The file I sent you included the FDE from Jan for that aircraft. Did you notice anything peculiar?
No. The contents of the aircraft file would not have mattered - so long as the aircraft.cfg file was OK.

Kevin, I have just uploaded 2.2.10(d) as the AIFP Development Release at http://stuff4fs.com. While I can't pinpoint the aircraft folder list initialization as the cause of your difficulty, it may be. Please give 2.2.10(d) a try.

Yup, including the berserk Collect Airports.
That's a happy coincidence, because not a single bit of the code used by the Collect Airports function was changed in that release. Are you sure nothing changed in your configuration? AIFP shouldn't "go berserk" under any situation, and I'd certainly like to know why it did this time. Almost certainly it was due to system configuration, but I guess I'll never know for sure.

Pity though that I cannot make any flightplans without having an active FSX as airports can be added but aircraft cannot.
That's not true. You just can't view aircraft in the FSX SimObjects folders simply by telling AIFP you want to use FSX aircraft But, you can access those aircraft using the "Select" radio-button on the Select Aircraft dialog.

Roby, you keep asking for more user-friendly code. Here's a good example of just how user-friendly AIFP is. It finds all the aircraft folders for you if the selected version of FlightSim is installed. If it's not installed, AIFP lets you locate them. How much more user friendly can I make it. The fact that you didn't appreciate there was an alternative approach doesn't make AIFP any less user-friendly

which reminds me of the fact that I had recently to manually add the path to my FS9.cfg as well because it had remained empty in the AIFP.ini. But nonetheless everything worked fine before even in the absence of the fs9.cfg path in the AIFP.in
And now you are imagining difficulties! That line is blank because AIFP never refers for FS9.cfg. It's only there because it made coding easier for the other three versions. If AIFP was working with that line blank, why did you feel the need to edit the file? AIFP.ini is not a file the user should be modifying. Did it occur to you that the line might be blank intentionally and putting something in there may create difficulty. Sometimes I think you are you own worst enemy!

Don

No. The contents of the aircraft file would not have mattered - so long as the aircraft.cfg file was OK.

Kevin, I have just uploaded 2.2.10(d) as the AIFP Development Release at http://stuff4fs.com. While I can't pinpoint the aircraft folder list initialization as the cause of your difficulty, it may be. Please give 2.2.10(d) a try.

Don

No change. :(

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I think I see the problem - at least "a" problem. In the AIFP.ini file you sent a day or so ago, the first line reads: FS9 Base Folder=E:\Flight Simulator X.

Somehow, that field got configured for the FS9.exe in your FSX folder. (Once entered, it would remain.) As a result, AIFP thinks you have FS9 installed.

I suspect if you delete your AIFP.ini file (or at least that line from it), your issue will go away.

Don

I think I see the problem - at least "a" problem. In the AIFP.ini file you sent a day or so ago, the first line reads: FS9 Base Folder=E:\Flight Simulator X.

Somehow, that field got configured for the FS9.exe in your FSX folder. (Once entered, it would remain.) As a result, AIFP thinks you have FS9 installed.

I suspect if you delete your AIFP.ini file (or at least that line from it), your issue will go away.

Don

First I deleted the line..no change
Then deleted the whole ini file...no change
However, after exit it's putting that line back in the ini file. I think you may be on to something as for some reason it does seem to think I'm using FS9. Which would make sense as to why it just doesn't happen on one aircraft but all of them.

Thanks

-Kevin

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Hopefully, you deleted the .ini file before starting AIFP. Deleting it while AIFP is running does nothing.

Assuming you deleted the file before starting AIFP, the only way that line get's put back is if the FS9 path is in the system registry. (AIFP believe what it finds in the registry.)

I've been through the code numerous times now and I cannot find any other problems. I've tried various combinations on my development system and single aircraft selection by title works flawless every time. Since no one else is reporting such symptoms (Roby's issue was with select by Path and I have corrected that problem), I can only conclude that it's due to system configuration - and this FS9 path certainly qualifies as a system configuration issue since FS9 is not present.

There is a file FS9.exe in the main FSX folder (though I don't know why). The standard FSX installer doesn't install that FS9 - normally/automatically. Do you recall doing some sort of manual installation?

Don