• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Aerial Images (Airport Background)

Country
panama
So with the help of Eugen_1975 I was able to get my aerial images to sim, the problem was with windows regional settings as my decimal place pointer was , and it must be . for the tool to parse the .map file correctly.

I think im getting same lod problems as discussed above, but i will investigate it further

KLI4sAX.png

[/QUO
Looks Great!!!!, I am still locked in the SDK and even though I get up to the sample airport, the program is stuck there and won't go any further. When will we get something like SBuilder which works like a marvel?

Country
unitedstates
ok, I finally had a chance to check this out after getting the SDK to stop crashing the sim. I made the tiles using SAS and they are ready to go. If I copy over the SampleAerial from the SDK into a new folder and put these .png files in the tiles directory and run that package then the aerial should show up correct? I am having some confusion on the "packages" and I am assuming that everything you do is a separate package? For example I've created a replacement airport over a default and added a runway for now. If I want to now load in my aerial image background then I have to open that package separately and build it right? Can both packages be open in the sim at the same time so I can see my aerial image and the runways/taxiways/aprons that I am building? I am pretty sure it can but this whole thing with the separate packages is just confusing me right now...

Brandon

Country
newzealand
Tha
So this is appears to be one of the quirks of the new system, the screen space error metric works a little differently. You have to generate tiles all the way up to the max LOD already present in bing maps or the local sim data to prevent this from happening. I don’t think it is a static 20. This can be a different value in different parts of the world.

Turn on the terrain tile debug tool in dev mode and then you can see what the highest resolution is there, and then if you don’t have imagery up to that lod you will have to supersample and tile it yourself.
I wonder if that’s how the resample tool worked, made ‘mips’ up to the highest resulotion just that it was complied into the bgl

Country
canada
XP has World Editor for scenery and the latest versions allowed the import of georeferenced TIF aerial imagery and automatically tile it at the exact spot. Seamless experience for aerial imagery.

Hopefully something like this will be possible for MSFS

Country
australia
Hi Guys,

I've managed to pull in some satellite imagery using the demo project, however my end result is a weird green colour. I've tried using the original imagery as well as a colour-corrected version that matches the bing imagery, both have this result. Has anyone else encountered this and know how to fix it?

Attachments

• green_tinge.jpg
    green_tinge.jpg
    762.1 KB · Views: 260
Country
unitedkingdom
1. Specify the ortho data file (png, tiff, bmp). Note that in a folder with the specified file ortho data also has to be a file ".map" OziExplorer. Creating (getting) a ".map" file is very easy in Global Mapper or SASPlanet. See the screenshot below.

Are there any other ways of creating a .map file? I've tried and failed with both Global Mapper and SASPlanet to create a .map from a GEOTiff aerial image.

Country
argentina
So with the help of Eugen_1975 I was able to get my aerial images to sim, the problem was with windows regional settings as my decimal place pointer was , and it must be . for the tool to parse the .map file correctly.

I think im getting same lod problems as discussed above, but i will investigate it further

KLI4sAX.png

Thats really nice!. Have you done any special steps besides the ones related on this Thread?

Country
finland
Thats really nice!. Have you done any special steps besides the ones related on this Thread?
The aerial images i have from this location (in finland) have special coordinate system for our region, so I had to warp the image first using gdalwarp (now im doing the process as part of the toolset in QGIS software) into epsg:3395 WGS84 World Mercator projection (as kindly pointed out by Eugen).

As I dont have any software actually that can produce right .map files, I had to use some creative ways to edit .map file eugen provided me (can be done in notepad) to give the dimensions of the image and coordinates of each corner.

1. To get these coordinates of the corners of the image, I used QGIS feature "export map to PDF", first putting "zoom to native resolution" (icon is magnifying class with 1:1 on it)
2. Then in export window for coordinates using button "calculate from layer" to get coordinates of the full image. Otherwise using default export settings but clicking on "create geospatial pdf" (not sure if it is required but done it anyways).​
3. Then once you have that PDF, i open it in notepad++ and at the beginning of the file you can see the coordinates of each corner of the image. With this information I edit copy of my old .map file accordingly to fit the image i want to tile with the tool.​
The .map file has both the pixel location and coordinate location of each corner of the image, so you need to know image resolution and image coordinates.​

Country
unitedkingdom
I've managed to pull in some satellite imagery using the demo project, however my end result is a weird green colour. I've tried using the original imagery as well as a colour-corrected version that matches the bing imagery, both have this result. Has anyone else encountered this and know how to fix it?

Hi there! Thanks for the approval. I too have managed to get my new aerial into the sim using the tool provided at the start of this topic, many thanks! However, I'm also getting a strange blue/green tone applied to my images which isn't present when viewing the source tiles in Photoshop or Windows. I've tried both colour corrected and non-corrected, both have the same issues.

Has anyone experienced similar?

Many Thanks for any assistance.

Country
france
Hi there,

Sadly the tool from Eugen_1975 don't work on my side, a friend of me can use it perfectly (with the sample gived and lod to 20), if I do the same it just create an empty folder and close right after that.

If someone have any tips :)

Thank's for all

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi there,

Sadly the tool from Eugen_1975 don't work on my side, a friend of me can use it perfectly (with the sample gived and lod to 20), if I do the same it just create an empty folder and close right after that.

Thank's for all

I had a similar issue when I was trying to use it on a VERY large image at zoom 23. You should use zoom level 20 from your source, and select LOD 20 in the tool as well. This was the fix for me.

Country
france
I had a similar issue when I was trying to use it on a VERY large image at zoom 23. You should use zoom level 20 from your source, and select LOD 20 in the tool as well. This was the fix for me.
Copy that, I'm gonna try this right now.

Thank you

Country
finland
Hi there,

Thank's for all
I had similar issue where the tool would just keep running but nothing happening, it was due to my mistake in putting the corner coordinates correctly in the .map file manually. I had bottom right and bottom left corners mixed up, after switching them right way around i could work my files again perfectly.

Country
france
I had similar issue where the tool would just keep running but nothing happening, it was due to my mistake in putting the corner coordinates correctly in the .map file manually. I had bottom right and bottom left corners mixed up, after switching them right way around i could work my files again perfectly.

I think the problem is somewhere else on my side, I try what said phillmorgan28 with same result sadly.

The fact is even with the sample provided inside Tile system tool (who must work for everyone normaly I think) I get this problem.

Gonna try to watch those coordinates by the way.

Country
ukraine
К сожалению, инструмент от Eugen_1975 не работает на моей стороне, мой друг может использовать его отлично
"Region Format" - "advanced options" - "numbers" - "separator whole and fractional parts" - should be (point)"."

Country
finland
Yeah, definitely check your region settings as Eugen stated, that was my problem at first as well but after running for few seconds i would get an error log file and it would end. Thought your problem was something else but definitely check that windows uses . for decimal marker

Country
finland
Some progress for me, got the masking of the aerial image done and into sim, works nicely and you can hardly tell the difference where the added aerial image is when theres "MSFS aerial" around it to blend to. One thing i noticed is when working with .pngs with transparency, the tile tool will build black tiles and if you compile them, they will mess with the MSFS aerial on those edges. At close range on the transparent parts of the aerial image you get bare default scenery on the edges, but when you move further away the MSFS aerial will pop in there like it should. Optimally should clean up the folder from the fully black tiles before building package to hopefully get rid of this issue. Best thing would be if the tool would understand the transparent tiles and using "cut edges" it wouldnt tile those edges that are transparent in the .png image. :)

aH3VMfu.jpg

Country
australia
Hi there! Thanks for the approval. I too have managed to get my new aerial into the sim using the tool provided at the start of this topic, many thanks! However, I'm also getting a strange blue/green tone applied to my images which isn't present when viewing the source tiles in Photoshop or Windows. I've tried both colour corrected and non-corrected, both have the same issues.

Has anyone experienced similar?

Many Thanks for any assistance.

Hi Guys,

I have solved the problem with the green tinge I was having with imported imagery. You will need to add the alpha channels to your tiles in order for it to display correctly.

I used imagemagick to do this as a batch script by running the following from the directory where your tiles are located:

Code:
FOR %a in (*.png) DO magick convert %a -alpha on %a

You can check if the alpha is missing by using the following code replace [filename.png] with one of your tiles to test:

Code:
magick identify -verbose [filename.png]

If the type is TrueColor and not TrueColorAlpha you will need to add the alpha channel.

You will need to install imagemagick in order for this to work.

Last edited: