• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Afterburners

Country
unitedstates
Not sure if this is the correct place to post. Anyone know how to get the afterburners to work in MSFS2020? I've seen pics of them but have tried all I know but No Joy.

Serious answer: check the control settings to see which key or key sequence is allocated to the afterburner.

In 2020. There has to be an option to customise the key assignments somewhere. I don't have the sim so I can't give you precise directions.

Maybe they don't have afterburners in 2020... after all, commercial jets don't use 'em.

Any afterburners you have seen in MSFS will be elements in the model file that have a visibility set based on (usually) airspeed. What aircraft, specifically have you seen them on and which are you trying to make them appear on?

is it about FSX port overs or native aircraft? as long as airplane became pinned in the air right after you set afterburner_available value, that part of code disabled by devs.
just yesterday made a workaround tutorial for legacy planes, maybe will be helpful (formatted English subs available)

This looks very interesting.
The FSXA/P3D afterburner has an interesting bug which it would be great to fix.
Prior to FSXA the AB had just one stage OFF or ON. When the throttle was increased past the threshold for AB you got say 50% more thrust and say 100% more fuel rate.
When FSXA came out the AB had a number of stages. When the throttle was increased past the threshold you got a variably increased AB effect. Say there were 4 stages of AB. When the first stage was selected the thrust increased by 1/4 times 50% = 12.5 % more thrust. That is the desired effect. However the fuel rate went from max dry to 1/4 of the full AB rate so from 100% dry it went to 1/4 times 200% or 50%. That is clearly wrong. You can go to 1/4 AB, get 1/8th more thrust and consume half the fuel rate. Wonderful for fast transit but flat wrong. Essentially the increase in fuel should be in addition to full dry rate not instead of.

I notice there appears to be some interaction between AB and speed in the video. In real life there may be some adjustment to AB based on Mach but mostly in early jets only. Certainly AB selection is via the throttle, not because of speed.
Roy

Never got a notice that someone answered. It's the Iris F-4 but it looks like the afterburner is written in the cfg as lights.

Roy: should be fixable/overridable with a bit of SimConnect code controlling fuel content. But I guess you will already have figured that one out :D

The above fix from thealx worked on a few of my jets. but the one in question is the Iris F-4. In FSX it is fine but after I converted to 2020 in that same converter says afterburners not present. It seems (someone said) if the afterburners are written in the cfg under lights won't work.
Question is there a way to write them in some file to make them work?

Use the [smoke] section. Smoke.0 does not work, so start from smoke.1. It may work, it may not. It depends how IRIS implemented the fx code.

Roy: should be fixable/overridable with a bit of SimConnect code controlling fuel content. But I guess you will already have figured that one out :D
I tried writing to the rate variable without success. Did not fancy controlling the content.

Back