• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

AIFP 3.2.15 Problems

Country
unitedstates
I just recently downloaded the new version and i keep getting an error that says the requested security protocol is not supported and also AIFP 3.2.15 can't read any of the aircraft.cfg files and denies it,even my default FS9 aircraft.Is there something wrong with the application.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Sounds like Windows doesn't like where you've stored the aircraft. What are you actually trying to do (in detail) when you get this message?

Don

Country
unitedstates
The requested security protocol pops up when I open the AIFP application and instead of connecting to the app looking for a new update,it gives me the error message giving me the option to continue or quit the application. When I click continue then the application can't read any of the aircraft.cfg files.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I open the AIFP application and instead of connecting to the app looking for a new update
Presumably, you have AIFP Options configured to check for updates at startup. It appears that your computer is configured for an internet communications protocol that prevents AIFP from connecting to the AIFP server. There's not much I can do about that. So, I suggest your remove this option and check for updates manually at http://stuff4fs.com.

Updates don't occur very frequently and I always announce them in this forum.

The quit or continue option is a Windows "offering". AIFP does not throw exceptions except in unusual circumstances. When an exception occurs, it is often unlikely that AIFP can continue - irrespective of what the message window says.

Don

Country
unitedstates
Ok,now how do I fix AIFP to read my Aircraft.cfg files since it can't read them.I never had this problem with previous versions of the application. They just show up as red x unavailable aircraft and error messages all pop up for each aircraft in AIFP saying they can't find the .cfg file and access is denied.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Most unusual. I assume you are no longer checking for updates at startup and the security protocol message is no longer generated.

Just realized you probably can turn off the check for updates option in your circumstances. Before doing anything else, with AIFP NOT running, open your aifp.cfg file (Notepad or any other text editor will do), find the line starting with "No Automatic Updates" and set it to "True". That should do it, but to be sure, delete the following line ("Development Updates"). Save the file and restart AIFP.

Don

Country
unitedstates
Ok,the updates are gone now.Now the error messages still pop up for the aircraft files.It reads that it is Unable to read aircraft.cfg and that the Exmessage: Access to the path aircraft.cfg is denied. That's for all the aircraft i have. Is there someway to fix this.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
The "access denied" message is Windows "doing its thing". AIFP's "user" hasn't been given sufficient access privileges.

I suspect you installed FlightSim on your C: drive. That problematic. Are you running as Administrator - not simply being the administrator but running AIFP "as Administrator". If not, give that a try. If that doesn't work, review your user privileges. It's Windows that's objecting (AIFP is simply parroting the error message), so it's Windows you must satisfy.

Don

Key

Country
netherlands
Merging flight plans gives me some difficulties since v3.2.15, both with general release (d) and development release (k). It worked great up until 3.2.14 so I reverted to that version for now.

This applies to FS9 flight plans, OS is Win7Pro. I tested mostly with .txt files but I _think_ I saw the same when opening .bgls.

1. What seems to be a bug is that upon merging two files, AIFP 3.2.15 'maps' the aircraft list of the file that was already open to the added flight plans.
So, say I have a plan open with an aircaft list like this:
1 - Ce172
2 - B757
and I merge a plan to that with
1 - DC-3
2 - F-4
then the added DC-3 flights get the Ce172 and the added F-4 flights get the B757 in stead of their own type.

The resulting aircraft list is then:
1 - Ce172
2 - B757
1 - DC-3
2 - F-4
so with duplicated numbers in stead of new sequential ones. This fact is probably the cause of what is going on.
Using 'Show flight plans using' in above case on the DC-3 ('new #1') makes the selection jump in the aircraft list to the Ce172 ('old #1') and highlight all Ce172 flights after the merge, including those that should have kept the DC-3.

2. Not a bug but an apparent design choice is that selecting files to merge has to be done via a new window with several options. I preferred the old method via a Windows explorer-type window, that was a lot quicker than going through the directory tree. The scenery library option is not better for me either, I prefer to select individual files which seems no option via that method. It would be great if the Windows default method of file selection could be restored here as an option.

Don, I hope the above is clear enough. Thanks as always for your time,

Erik

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Eric, did you use the "quick merge" function or the regular merge function. The difference between the two is that with the former, the resulting aircraft list may contain duplicate reference numbers while that should not occur with the latter.

apparent design choice is that selecting files to merge has to be done via a new window with several options
. The pre 3.2.15 merge capability was limited to merging a single file with the then-currently loaded file. The new merge features allow any set of files to be merged. While the file selection mechanism is (necessarily) different, it's not clear what is making the process much slower. You are still selecting from a directory tree - one that only shows file/folders containing relevant files. Perhaps it's just lack of familiarity - which will be resolved over time. As for another option, I am reluctant to take that route; there are already a confusing number of options. How often do you merge files that could not be merged equally quickly (or perhaps even faster) by the new capability?

Don

Key

Country
netherlands
Hi Don, I used regular merge. Will have at look what happens with quick merge.

As for file selection, 'via Windows' immediately opens my last selected folder, which is perfect for me. Even if I don't need the exact same subfolder I am still in my traffic projects folder.
In the new window, I need to step down the tree expanding every subfolder to the file that I need, every time. I tried the 'Save as default search' option but saw no difference, I'm unsure what that does. The scenery library option takes a litte while to load the library each time and it does not seem to allow single file selection. Hence my preference for the old method.

Erik

Key

Country
netherlands
Did some more testing and I think I see what's going on. When merging flight plans via the standard method the newly added aircraft are added to the list with the number they already had, as said. The newly added flight plans however are assigned the _first occurence of their previous acft number_ in the new list, so in most cases this an acft from the other file.

Example
Plan already open has, after previous modifications:
1 - Ce172
3 - B757
and I merge a plan to that with:
1 - DC-3
2 - F-4
3 - PA-28

The result is
1 - Ce172
3 - B757
1 - DC-3
2 - F-4
3 - PA-28
After that the DC-3 plans have the Ce172 (first #1), the F-4 plans are OK (first #2) and the PA-28 plans have the B757 (first #3).

And indeed, using Quick merge all is fine, as new acft numbers are added and used as expected!

Finally, 'Save as default search' sometimes does work for me in the new selection window. When it does, it is a perfect option, at least as fast and more flexible than via Windows. Most of the time however, I am presented with an empty list to go through from the start. Cannot put my finger on what causes this.

Erik

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Please download Development Release 3.2.15(l) from http://stuff4fs.com. It fixes the merge issue and initializes the file selection tree to the folder containing the last-loaded file.

Don