• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

aircraft.cfg - rudder_trim_effectiveness

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
Code:
[flight_tuning]
rudder_trim_effectiveness   = 1.0
Given that rudder trim is hard-coded to 10 degrees in the sim and the Boeing B-314 has a rudder trim max of 20 degrees, is compensating for the restricted angle as simple as
Code:
[flight_tuning]
rudder_trim_effectiveness   = 2.0
It can't be, can it? That easy?

rcbarend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, that easy :)
As I explained in post-2 of your "Aileron Trim Limits" thread.

That is (nuance):
You can approximate the proper FDE working of the rudder trim tab, by changing the rudder_trim_effectiveness to a good value.
But that doesn't mean that rudder_trim_effectiveness =2.0 gives the correct, realistic flighteffect of the rudder trim setting.
Although it will probably compensate the fixed 10-degrees angle of the rudder trim tab fairly (assuming the relation is lineair).

But that still doesn't mean it gives the correct flight effect.
For that, it would require that in FS you are also able to define position and surface size of the trim tab (not just angle), which would be different for each aircraft.
And (as far as I know) that's not possible, and hard-coded in FS too.

That's why rudder_trim_effectiveness (and other *_effectiveness setting alike ) are there for in the aircraft.cfg: so you can tweak it to get to most realistic effect.
So a value of 2.0 would compensate the improper and fixed angle value, but I'm 100% sure that this isn't the optimal value for a B-314. ;)

To establish the optimum value achievable in FS, you would need to experiment; based on how the real B-314 behaves in real-life on rudder trim setting.

Hope you understand what I mean ....

Cheers, Rob

Last edited:

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
Thanks Rob. I wasn't sure if that was what you meant in the other post, hence the new one. Nobody knows how the B-314 actually behaved, so I/we are having to stick strictly to Boeing's numbers. The guy that did the flight dynamics has caught me in a couple of WTF? moments where I ended up thinking 'it can't possibly do that', only to find he was right on the performance curves. Unfortunately he's left the project, hence the open question instead of just asking him.

Country
unitedstates
Are you saying the parameter in the [Airplane Geometry] section of the flight_model.cfg file named "rudder_trim_limit" is not used or is not what it says it is? This is in reference to MSFS and the new flight model. Based on the aileron trim thread, you may be asking about FSX or P3D?

Last edited:

rcbarend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Are you saying the parameter in the [Airplane Geometry] section of the flight_model.cfg file named "rudder_trim_limit" is not used or is not what it says it is? This is in reference to MSFS and the new flight model. Based on the aileron trim thread, you may be asking about FSX or P3D?
Gets confusing sometimes .... But this thread is also about FSX/P3D
No clue if/how it works in MSFS.