• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Aircraft List and ETAs

Country
ireland
I've returned to AI after a long gap and my flight plans are up and running fairly well.

But I have some questions, please.

My aircraft list which comes up when I open a traffic.bgl shows all my planes, not only the ones used in the flight plan. Is this correct? If not, can I safely delete the 'redundant' ones or will this remove them completely from the AIFP database?

The same applies to airports - they are all listed.

On the ETAs and other times, I am confused. In this example, the Departure Time is 07:45. The leg distance is 77nm, and flight duration 0:52. Why is the ETA 11:37-1? And why has the program overwritten the ETA? I sort of understand that the -1 can refer to a day/night or timezone difference but neither of these is relevant to this flight.

411313549.jpg

I'd be grateful for help with these issues.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
My aircraft list which comes up when I open a traffic.bgl shows all my planes, not only the ones used in the flight plan. Is this correct?
Depends on what program was used to compile the flight plan. If by AIFP, the traffic file will contain only the aircraft used by the flight plans. If by some other program, then maybe. If extra aircraft are included, AIFP will tell you so.

can I safely delete the 'redundant' ones or will this remove them completely from the AIFP database?
Not sure what you mean by the AIFP database. But, if there are extras, unless you simply want to get them out of the displayed Aircraft List, you don't need to do anything. AIFP will automatically detect them when you next compile and ask if you want them deleted. If you want to delete them manually, so long as they are not used by any flightplan, AIFP won't "care".

The same applies to airports - they are all listed.
AIFP only uses information from the aircraft list for airports that are not included in AIFP's AirportList.dat. However, the Airport List lists all airports that are in the traffic file - whether used or not - in case you want to use then for additions/edits. The contents of the displayed Airports List is managed by AIFP. You can't add to or delete from it. When you compile the data, any unused airports are automatically deleted.

I sort of understand that the -1 can refer to a day/night or timezone difference
+1 can occur under two conditions: a flight that leaves before midnight and arrives after or crossing the International Date Line in a westerly direction. -1 should only arise due to crossing the International Date Line in an easterly direction.

On the ETAs and other times, I am confused. In this example, the Departure Time is 07:45. The leg distance is 77nm, and flight duration 0:52. Why is the ETA 11:37-1? And why has the program overwritten the ETA?
AG22 is not a stock airport. So, the first issue is how is it defined? Given the ETA, Override ETA and other arrival times, I suspect it is on the Asian side of the date line, which would explain all the +/-s. As for AIFP overwriting the ETA, it hasn't. It's simply telling you the dateline has been crossed. I also suspect you have local time selected. 11:22 in the ETA Override box is from the flightplan. The ETA box is the system calculated arrival time based on the length of the leg and the programmed cruise speed of the aircraft. So long as there is an entry in the ETA override box, that is the time that will be saved in the traffic file.

The only mystery (which may be solved if I knew the data for AG22) are the significant differences between departure times and ETA which seem most unusual. The nearly 4-hour differences for a 52 minute flight suggests more than 2 time zones are involved.

I suspect if you validated these flight plans you would discover a number of errors.

You may also find a review of Sections 4 and 5 of the user manual beneficial.

Don

Country
ireland
Don

Many thanks for your fast reply. Originally, the flight plan was made using AITM2. From what you say I think I will remove the unused aircraft manually. It will make things neater and avoid confusion.
I understand about the airports now too.

Regarding AG22, I created this many years ago for a small VA which is no more. Up until about 3 years ago, AI planes operated in and out of it without problems. THe airfield occupies most of a small island just off the south-east coast of Kodiak Island. Its coords are N56* 43.46' W153* 53.63'. I checked these in the AIFP airport editor. Like you, I do not understand the 4-hour departure/arrival difference for a 52 min flight from PADQ as it neither crosses the 'date' line, nor bridges the midnight hour.

You are exactly correct that I use Local Time, and that raises another whole issue! It seemed to me that if I want a plane to depart at 06:00 local (and therefore to be independent of the -10 or -9 hour time difference between AK and GB) it would be best to use local times. I understand the arguments for always using GMT. The problem with that is that to retain the 06:00 departure time I must change my flight plans every time there is a daylight saving change in GB or Alaska, or wherever else. Simple it ain't, not to me anyway!

Thanks again for your help - it is much appreciated - and I will re-read the relevant sections of the manual.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I think I will remove the unused aircraft manually. It will make things neater and avoid confusion.
All you need do is compile with AIFP (unless there are errors that prevent compilation) and AIFP will remove the extras for you.

It seemed to me that if I want a plane to depart at 06:00 local (and therefore to be independent of the -10 or -9 hour time difference between AK and GB) it would be best to use local times. I understand the arguments for always using GMT. The problem with that is that to retain the 06:00 departure time I must change my flight plans every time there is a daylight saving change in GB or Alaska, or wherever else.
With AIFP you, the choice of GMT or local time is yours. There is no difference in the compiled traffic file. Re daylight savings time, while you don't have to edit the flight plan to implement it, you do have to recompile.

I do not understand the 4-hour departure/arrival difference for a 52 min flight from PADQ as it neither crosses the 'date' line, nor bridges the midnight hour.
Whether or not a flight crosses the IDL (in Flightsim) is a function of its timezone offset, not position. (The IDL is not relevant when times are specified in GMT.)

Don

Country
ireland
Everything is sorted and the program runs like a dream.

I could explain but it would take too long. Suffice to say that I had two traffic.bgl files containing the same flight plans. I kept compiling one (labelled FS9) but always opened the other, AITM one.

Thanks again for your interest, Don.