• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS All LODs being rendered at once

Country
unitedkingdom
I dunno if anyone's keeping track of sim update V insiders, but the gist I'm getting is that LODs will be mandatory afterwards. Your nice LOD 0 that has done the job at all distances will now vanish a very short distance away.

I've never bothered with LODs. No one's ever mentioned any performance problems.

After a long period of dicking around with separate exports and endless tweaking of settings in Blender2MSFS I've managed to get 3 levels and a xml that looks nominally correct for a quick junk version. But the sim is clearly rendering all 3 LODs at once. The model flickers and I can see details from the various levels all at once.

I haven't touched the xml as I assumed the sim or exporter should know what to do, but it doesn't.

Is there an obvious tweak I'm missing somewhere?

This is the file in question - https://www.mediafire.com/file/r1anzvb1k1dqvr8/LOD+Hell.zip/file

If the LOD thing is true, and maybe they'll make some tweaks before launch so who knows, more likely I'll just delete any project with 3d models and never bother again, but I thought I'd see if there was a smooth path to doing it right.

Attachments

• zum.jpg
    zum.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 122

Paavo

Resource contributor
Country
estonia
Issues like these is why I made a multi exporter plugin to extend Blender2MSFS:

It includes two examples, one of which shows how to easily do LODs.

Country
unitedkingdom
That looks promising, any complete instructions anywhere? I really don't know if I can take much more figuring out new stuff.

I also don't know if that sorts out the 3 LODs at once.

Paavo

Resource contributor
Country
estonia
The Multi Exporter's ZIP contains this PDF that describes how to use it.

It's very simple, really. You just have to divide the model into collections: create parent collection, eg "zum". Under that, create collections "x01", "x02" etc for each LOD level and place relevant meshes under them. Then export from the Multi Exporter rollout (see usage instructions in the PDF).

It also supports exporting many separate objects from a single scene (with or without LODs), which is helpful when developing airports.

Attachments

• multiexport.pdf
    376.9 KB · Views: 224
Country
unitedkingdom
Ah. I didn't realise there was a pdf. Cool.

I've done collections. I've exported the three models. Three LODs are present in the XML.

The problem is all 3 are showing at the same time.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Is the model uploaded to Mediafire your own creation?

Country
unitedkingdom
No. It's a free one from Blenderartists originally if I remember rightly. I've added a fair bit more detail to it and retextured it.

That's another problem if LODs become mandatory.

Most of the models I use are paid ones and many have already had their poly counts reduced by me by 70-90% or more so they can't be taken much further without falling apart completely. I'd have to make completely new and simpler models for the higher LODs which I can't do.

Country
unitedkingdom
The Multi Exporter's ZIP contains this PDF that describes how to use it.

With this tool I can export objects just fine. When I try it with collections nothing happens no matter what I select. What should I be doing differently?

Country
unitedkingdom
Send me your blender file, I'll have a look.

It'll be the same file that's in the mediafire download posted here. I normally use Blender 2.83 so the same one was opened in 2.90 with your plugin. Maybe there's something slightly different about it, or I might have created the file incorrectly.

And as for the original subject of this thread, I forgot to hide each other LOD after having to individually export them with the normal plugin. What a moron. However the model is still flickering between transitions and stays flickering sometimes.

Last edited:
Country
netherlands
No. It's a free one from Blenderartists originally if I remember rightly. I've added a fair bit more detail to it and retextured it.

That's another problem if LODs become mandatory.

Most of the models I use are paid ones and many have already had their poly counts reduced by me by 70-90% or more so they can't be taken much further without falling apart completely. I'd have to make completely new and simpler models for the higher LODs which I can't do.

And what happens if you just use the original model and copy them to lod1 lod2? No idea if this works.

Country
unitedkingdom
And what happens if you just use the original model and copy them to lod1 lod2? No idea if this works.

Someone else suggested that. It wouldn't have occurred to me. I presume that'll work just fine. What we don't know yet is whether the sim after update V will be smart enough to know I'm being naughty and punish accordingly.

Last edited:
Country
us-connecticut
Am I reading the patch notes correctly that this is (at least temporarily) being undone for PC assets? Presumably, it will come back and the different LODs will be needed in the future?

Country
us-illinois
Am I reading the patch notes correctly that this is (at least temporarily) being undone for PC assets? Presumably, it will come back and the different LODs will be needed in the future?

Asobo's response to this LOD 'pop-in' display rendering issue on the PC (current implementation of LOD's shall still be retained on XBOX ?):

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/excessive-lod-pop-in-after-su5/426861/73

"We have temporarily reverted the LOD selection mechanism to its previous state on PC. However, because it is important that you can check the state of your add-ons with the Xbox LOD selection mechanism, we have added an “Xbox LOD Selection Mode” option in the DevMode.”

GaryGB

Country
unitedkingdom

Yes. They dropped it at the very last minute due to a great deal of screaming from testers. I've asked on their developer forum what 'temporarily' means. They don't seem to know.