• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Alternate Aerial Imagery Process

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The MSFS Toolkit is pretty cool, but my workflow for adjusting coloring differs from what Paavo uses. ImageMagick doesn't really work well for me. I like to make a large GeoTiff of an airport, and use QGIS to clip with a polygon. I then take that tif file, and adjust the colors within paint.net (which preserves the geotiff attributes). The process I use involves adjusting the color, making tiles, compiling, viewing in the sim from the community folder, and then repeating the process until I'm happy with the coloring (or exhausted).

The biggest time waster is recutting the tiles. I stumbled across GTiff2Tiles. After fooling around for a day, I got it to work. Here's a project folder:

Untitled.png

GTiff2Tiles has the binaries of GTiff2tiles. TestTiles holds the cut tiles. tiles2bing has the tiles2bing binaries. InSim ping is a screenshot of my first compilation, with no color adjustments (my experimental starting point to adjust mytest.tif).
test.tif is the Geotiff of the airport (maybe from Google or Bing or elsewhere). I keep a copy of the original test.tif elsewhere in case my adjustments get me painted into a corner.

Of note is the GTiff2Tiles.bat... a batchfile that takes the tedium out of the process. When coloring, I make the qmid as low as I can ( maybe 17 or 18 depending on the maximum level used by Asobo at that location), because I just am testing the color, the final Compilation will be at 20. This saves a lot of time. Round trip, finished with paint.net, through tiling, and looking at the result in the sim, and back to paint.net can be as short as 5 minutes with this batchfile.

Bash:
rmdir .\TestTiles /s /q
rem mkdir TestTiles

GTiff2Tiles\GTiff2Tiles.Console.exe --input test.tif --output TestTiles --minz 20 --maxz 20 --tms FALSE -c mercator

rmdir PackageSources\CGL\aerial_images /q /s

tiles2bing\tiles2bing TestTiles /o PackageSources\CGL\aerial_images /y google

rmdir "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\gmmw workshop\GMMW\gmmw-aerial\_PackageInt" /q /s
rmdir "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\gmmw workshop\GMMW\gmmw-aerial\Packages" /q /s

D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe "-I" ; BuildAssetPackages "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\gmmw workshop\GMMW\gmmw-aerial\gmmw.xml" "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\gmmw workshop\GMMW\gmmw-aerial" "C:\Users\dickl\Desktop\gmmw workshop\GMMW\gmmw-aerial"

rmdir D:\MSFS\Community\gmmw-aerial /q /s
Xcopy /E Packages D:\MSFS\Community\

D:\Programs\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe -fastlaunch

The batch Cleans the TestTiles directory, Cut the tiles to a Google EPSG:3857 projection (my Geotiff is also at this mercator projection). I then delete the aerial image directory and the rebuild it with tiles2bing (great program). I get rid of the old _PackageInt and Packages folders. I then compile the new package. I delete the old version package from Community and copy The new test package to it. I then start the sim.

In sim, I quickly load a premade FLT, and in a few moments ( ;) ) I am looking at the coloring, and thinking of what to mess up next, and quitting the sim, and loading the geotiff into paint.net

All done in about 5 minutes.

I learned that we can easily use EPSG:3857 for both geotiff and tiles. This is actually handier for me as dimensions are in meter per pixel, instead of units of longitude and latitude. I can easily make the initial geotiff at 0.01meters resolution if I desire. I use QGIS to make the initial geotiff, and that is a skill worth knowing. I usually make a clipping polygon with the desktop Google Earth app. I just like how you can use it to draw detailed polygons. I'll use roads, fencelines, or any other break in the landscape to become the border of my clipping polygon.

Last edited: