• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Animated Flag

Country
us-northcarolina
Just having learned how to use the SODE, I am asking for help if its possible to do something I wanted to do a few years ago when I created Hawthorne Flying School in WWII. I have an animated flag but it strictly waves in the wind (that it does not follow like a wind sock) Is it possible for it to be raised in the morning and lowered in the evening like actually done on military bases. Also want it to follow the wind direction. Can this be done and how?

Country
us-northcarolina
Could I create these then in Sketchup or would I need to create them in GMAX (which I am not very experienced in) to animate them?

Country
us-northcarolina
I have Dietmar Loleit's animated flag and his permission to use the U.S. one on my military bases with credit given (of course).

Country
germany
I am not familiar with Sketchup.
With GMax animation is possible, but also not so easy.

Maybe it is enough to show once only the flagpole and once the flagpole with flag.

Personally, I would leave out the process of hoisting the flag.
Hardly anyone sees this process.
For me personally, the effort would be too great.
However, I don't want to stop you from showing it.

Country
us-northcarolina
Thank you for the quick reply. I may give it a try just because I have wanted to do this for three years before I was actually aware of using SODE and not just installing some other developer's work in their scenery like FSDT and GSX. If it works, I'll post in this thread how I got it to....or NOT LOL!

Country
us-northcarolina
I just created an animated flag at "half-staff" with the GMAX 3ds from Dietmar by moving it down and then saving it as an FSX.mdl. If I can do this I can then make the flag totally disappear. Have you ever looked at his animated flag? With SODE could I then make it an empty flagpole when the sun goes down? That would be acceptable after my effect sound I created that plays in the morning and in the evening at set times have an empty flagpole until the next morning.

Country
germany
You remove the polygons of the flag from the mast and you have the mast without the flag.
You can then display it with SODE for a certain time.
The mast with flag is then displayed with SODE for the remaining time.
If both objects have the same coordinates, then the change of the objects is not noticeable.

Country
us-northcarolina
What I had hoped for. I will try and implement that. I just finished the flags for Myrtle Beach Airport (3 of them) and now trying to place and get them visible. Tomorrow or Friday I will try and make Sode Work. Thank you.

Richard