• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Apron Ground lighting - Using Effect files this time!

Hi guys,
After almost 10 days of unsuccessful tries to light a default ground polygon in FS2004 using the Light_Land command, I gave up and decided to move on and attemp to light the ground using effect files!

But I have another problem using this approach
I know how to place an existing fx file into FS2004 but guess what....I don't know how to create a new one

So I would ask any of you effect gurus if possible to provide a guide (or even provide the code if it is more convinient) as to how I can create a simple effect that will emit a circular beam of light on the ground straight from above at a given radius in a given RGB colour value, and fade out as we move away from the circle's center.

It will be of a great help to me as I just now move into the effects chapter

Thanks in advance
Marios

Hi guys,
After almost 10 days of unsuccessful tries to light a default ground polygon in FS2004 using the Light_Land command, I gave up and decided to move on and attemp to light the ground using effect files!

Don`t give up so fast ;)

R u using the Light_land with FSDS ? ! Have u tried this
FSDS light tutorial

Hi Marijo,
Maybe it is because I am very new to scenery design and don't know much. And I gave up on the light_land not on the scenery design :)

I am using gmax 1.2. Looking at how some other sceneries texture gnd, I saw that the use day and night textures. Trying this method in gmax it worked but the texture is a bit blurred on the ground. I use 512x512 16bit with Mips created in imagetool. Am I doing something wrong or not advisable to get sharp textures?

Thanks
Marios

As far as I know, You will get sharp textures more or less only with 8-bit type of textures and no mip-maps. If You can decrease color, then this might be a solution for You?

Best regards

Hi,
Just tried it with not much luck...still a bit blurry :confused:
Any other advice? Can anyone provide a checklist on how to create textures? (ie. ???x??? ??bits MIPs Yes/No? etc.) trying to get as sharp a texture as possible shown in FS9.

Thanks
Marios

@Flex_45 about the lightning:

I found a tutorial at fsalpha: http://www.fsalpha.com/home.shtml

Look down to 01/03/2004 ... it could be of help.

About blurryness of textures ... I'm pretty new to scenery design, but painted a lot of aircrafts. Deactivate mipmaps should do the trick.

When I painted an aircraft and wanted sharp textures under all circumstances, I deactivated "use mips" in DXTBMP while exporting my paints to the DXT3-format of FS. I think there should be no difference between aircrafts and scenery obects in that aspect.

Last edited: