• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Asking again here, NO TEXTURES in sim, models work fine, loss of mind imminent. jk

Country
us-ohio
I've build a bunch of airports in the sim so far.
possible issue - too many textures? maybe but I use a bunch, coming from p3d. etc..
let me explain this further.
P3D likes tiled textures. maybe not likes em , but deals with em. MSFS does not. I like SketchUp (hi, Gary) i use it because i get helpers building the structures, and that's a great help - half way markers built in and such.. but the problem I'm having stems from the use of tiles on -larger walls, parts, whatever, as - in msfs - they rip and tear, like the l.a.guns song. haha....anyways they look terrible all torn and - you know- stretched and bad, so in order to counter this, i make every single face on the model a "make unique texture" problem the is - it ends up making 1000 textures for 1 model, and there gonna be 50 plus models.....so EVEN THOUGH there's a ton of textures MSFS has always seemed to handle this, but not this time. after making all the faces independent, and generation of close to 1000 textures, the sim will not make the package anymore, or whatever it ends up making doesn't include the textures..
after the process, it puts my buildings in the sim just fine and all nice but just not textures.
question1....is there a top maximum limit to how many textures it will let make into a package?
question2...has anyone ever been denied a package creation because of excessive textures?
question 3...am i crazy or it wont do it anymore, who knows after all the updates asobo keeps changing shit. impossible to know what might work one day and not the next.
question 4 - do they even listen to us little dudes, and actually we isn't little....
my file format inside the package is this, inside the textures folder go the texture, inside the folder for the asset - go the 3 gltf files, i got that. so when do the textures stop showing?
i put everything where its supposed to go and-----in the right context, all folders match the files in them...
i build the package in the sim, close, go to the airport load in the editor, and proceed to add the asset, building...whatever, in this case a terminal. it absolutely shows up, nut NO textures.
I am dumbfounded, it worked perfectly for the airports I've already made, but now is a no go.

does anyone know what stupid thing I'm doing wrong, again. if we lived our lives building assets for the sim we would be gollums...im getting there. lol
THANKS GUYS!

attached is the msfs build package file.

Attachments

• fault.txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 114

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned that there is a specific amount of textures or materials allowed, but 1000 textures for a single scenery is pretty steep. This could very well lead to performance issues, just by the number of textures being loaded. I would seriously consider starting to map everything to texture sheets in the future. Takes a little more effort, but gives you far better control over texturing the models, and if you ever wanted to bake them in Blender or another program, it's a must.

The only errors I see in the log are:
Code:
Model texture not found in the texture directories: ... ( I have seen this sometimes while compiling packages, and they are usually benign, but I would check to make sure that all textures have been included in your project directory)

[Manifest Validation] 'rws-kstl' - Error: Empty value for 'title'
[Manifest Validation] 'rws-kstl' - Error: Empty value for 'creator'

As far as the next two errors, you should get these fields filled in on your project editor settings, however it shouldn't make the textures not appear.

When you compile the package, what does the folder structure look like? For the models, it should be:

Your Scenery Directory (containing layout and manifest.json) > scenery > global > scenery > Whatever_Lib.BGL & TEXTURE (a directory containing all your model .dds textures)

Side note: The name of the BGL is controlled by the modelLib directory that you currently use in your project folder. I would highly recommend renaming this folder so that modelLib is not used as the BGL name. This will cause conflicts with other packages. A know conflict is textures not being displayed.

Last edited:
Country
us-ohio
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned that there is a specific amount of textures or materials allowed, but 1000 textures for a single scenery is pretty steep. This could very well lead to performance issues, just by the number of textures being loaded. I would seriously consider starting to map everything to texture sheets in the future. Takes a little more effort, but gives you far better control over texturing the models, and if you ever wanted to bake them in Blender or another program, it's a must.

The only errors I see in the log are:
Code:
Model texture not found in the texture directories: ... ( I have seen this sometimes while compiling packages, and they are usually benign, but I would check to make sure that all textures have been included in your project directory)

[Manifest Validation] 'rws-kstl' - Error: Empty value for 'title'
[Manifest Validation] 'rws-kstl' - Error: Empty value for 'creator'

As far as the next two errors, you should get these fields filled in on your project editor settings, however it shouldn't make the textures not appear.

When you compile the package, what does the folder structure look like? For the models, it should be:

Your Scenery Directory (containing layout and manifest.json) > scenery > global > scenery > Whatever_Lib.BGL & TEXTURE (a directory containing all your model .dds textures)

Side note: The name of the BGL is controlled by the modelLib directory that you currently use in your project folder. I would highly recommend renaming this folder so that modelLib is not used as the BGL name. This will cause conflicts with other packages. A know conflict is textures not being displayed.
Hello, Thanks for the info. Where exactly do you rename the modelLib file, is it the one in the xml in package definitions? or if not where would I find that?
I might've forgot to mention that I have 6 or more other models in the scenery and they are all displaying correctly.

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
PackageSources > modelLib is what you want to rename. The actual directory name is what determines the BGL name. Change it to something like "AirportICAO_Lib" then update the modelLib input path in the Project Editor.

I would change this first and test to see if the rest of the textures show up. If not, then we know the problem is elsewhere.

Country
us-ohio
PackageSources > modelLib is what you want to rename. The actual directory name is what determines the BGL name. Change it to something like "AirportICAO_Lib" then update the modelLib input path in the Project Editor.

I would change this first and test to see if the rest of the textures show up. If not, then we know the problem is elsewhere.
ok, I tried that and it didn't work, in fact it took away all the models I had in the sim, and now I cant see them and its not reading them from my modelLib folder. all my scenery items are listed as unknown and nothing shows up.
Now im worse off than i was before, at least the models showed up in the sim and now i got nothing!! and the models are gone from the objects directory

I returned the folder name to the previous state and still nothing shows up in the sim. restarting doesn't reset it either. Now I'm really in a bind.

update, lucky I saved a copy first and used this one to get my scenery back and working again, but still in the same boat with the textures.

Last edited:
Country
us-ohio
Screenshot_40.jpg

Country
unitedkingdom
Re texture tearing in Sketchup, have you tried activating the paint thing in Sketchup and sampling a correctly oriented tile by clicking on it while holding down the alt key and then painting the other tiles?

Most of the time it aligns with the original tile.

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
That's odd, Tim. It shouldn't have removed the models if you just hit Build Package in the inspector window, unless you told it to clean up the package. Could be that's a new bug with the SDK, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I have yet to compile a project under the latest SDK, but I may do so later, just to rule it out.

You remembered to update the input path in the Project Editor (Inspector) for your renamed folder, correct? Did you update the other two fields that I pointed out?

patk_inspector.jpg

Check that your project folder structure looks like this:

Attachments

• package1.PNG
    package1.PNG
    52.1 KB · Views: 80
  • package2.PNG
    package2.PNG
    48.3 KB · Views: 77
  • package3.PNG
    package3.PNG
    47.8 KB · Views: 81
Country
us-ohio
Yes , that's exactly what I did.

I think it asked if I wanted to save the airport first, I think I clicked yes or Ok.

after I changed the paths, I built a package, closed and then opened the scenery at the airport per usual.

all the models were missing.

Country
us-ohio
Re texture tearing in Sketchup, have you tried activating the paint thing in Sketchup and sampling a correctly oriented tile by clicking on it while holding down the alt key and then painting the other tiles?

Most of the time it aligns with the original tile.
yes that's exactly how i do 90% of my texturing but even that method creates tearing and ripping in the small little parts - doorways, window sills, etc...thats why i started making each unique, stops that from happening. or if the 2 textures were lined up nicely, when put into the sim the were not , like they were just randomly mapped

Country
us-ohio
I attempted to change the file names and update the data in the editor, and build the package, still NO models show up after doing this, heres the shots showing what i did

layout building pack.jpg
Screenshot_1.jpg
Screenshot_2.jpg
Screenshot_3.jpg
Screenshot_4.jpg
Screenshot_5.jpg
Screenshot_6.jpg

instead of showing in objects scenery, and under the scenery editor - the models show as unknown.

this is really frustrating, because when i revert to my original xml file, the models all show up.

i added the text from the build - if you can see whats going on in there it would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• error text.txt
    300.7 KB · Views: 156
Country
us-ohio
here is a second text when i hit build package the second time

Attachments

• error text 2.txt
    60 KB · Views: 268
Country
germany
I have the exact same problem as you but it has never worked for me. I have never seen such a poor SDK. I love the SIM but the SDK is too complicated and buggy. You never know if its you making mistakes or the SDK. Like this every minute sitting there and trying to make content is wasted time. I am asking myself how bigger companies like aerosoft get a long with the SDK. Seem they are not having any issues.

Country
us-texas
1000 textures is not that many on modern hardware, and combining them into UV maps shouldn't help much anymore (if any), unless the code is wonky. It was needed when were on 5-10 year old hardware with IDE drives. All having too many textures will do is slow the frame rate as its loading, it wouldn't cause it to crash as the game is literally having to stream thousands and thousands of textures and data as you fly between airports or in large cities, much less a thousand textures in a single airport (that's nothing really). Think in a LARGE city how many airports are close together and how many textures are being loaded if you are flying fast (exactly).

This latest version of the game is very stable, but the SDK is buggy for sure. At least it almost never crashes anymore, but it does have other annoying bugs.

There are often issues when you first open an airport in a newer version of the SDK. I cannot count how many times I had to re-export models. Also, unlike many which will say to put the built package in the folder and then reloading it, this is asking for trouble and causes GUID issues. I use DEV mode only and only occasionally then test my airport with the community folder package, but I rarely edit it that way unless I am doing taxiways (only cause of taxiway disappearing bug).

The problem is generally in the XML, but sometimes its in the materials. You basically have to use process of elimination (delete large chunks of objects out of XML until it works), then narrow it down. That is how I've been able to solve some really whacky issues.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
here is a second text when i hit build package the second time
And @Demon take a look on this thread. I think it might help you. Some of the errors I´ve seen in your document I guess are related to what has been happening to me.

Country
us-ohio
to conclude this post.... i think i have the solution. upon closer inspection, one of the texture sets seemed to be missing content, the files were complete in one folder but when i copied the textures to the modelLib/textures folder they had no content..
it was difficult to see because i use "details" instead of actual images when viewing the files. at this point when i noticed the files were corrupt, i deleted the gltf files and the textures, and rebuilt the package, and i worked fine...so my suggestion is to carefully go through the textures and make sure they are not corrupt. even if you have 10 new models with all working texture, it only takes one bad texture to stop the package from being built.
I can also verify the you DO NOT have to have a texture in a power of 4 - for the sim to read it, as long as it is in a power of 2 the sim will read it and display it.
in the console window when receiving an error such as this , it will display the texture that is problematic...just to check, you can delete that texture out of the texture folder and rebuild the package, and it will work.

Country
unitedkingdom
to conclude this post.... i think i have the solution. upon closer inspection, one of the texture sets seemed to be missing content, the files were complete in one folder but when i copied the textures to the modelLib/textures folder they had no content..
it was difficult to see because i use "details" instead of actual images when viewing the files. at this point when i noticed the files were corrupt, i deleted the gltf files and the textures, and rebuilt the package, and i worked fine...so my suggestion is to carefully go through the textures and make sure they are not corrupt. even if you have 10 new models with all working texture, it only takes one bad texture to stop the package from being built.
I can also verify the you DO NOT have to have a texture in a power of 4 - for the sim to read it, as long as it is in a power of 2 the sim will read it and display it.
in the console window when receiving an error such as this , it will display the texture that is problematic...just to check, you can delete that texture out of the texture folder and rebuild the package, and it will work.
Glad you´ve fixed it... everything is a nightmare... OMG...

Country
switzerland
Good day,

I have the same problem. My object is fully white in MSFS. All textures are in the texture folder and has the correction dimension in png.

3 questions:
1) Is it necessary, to set in Blender every object with the MSFS parameter Standard?
2) If one texture is not compiled within MSFS console, will the whole object in MSFS not be texured?
3) Or is it necessary to "bake" all textures first in Blender?

Thank you for any advice.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
This thread has become a prime example of how not to solve a problem on this forum. Including 'error.txt' files and pictures of the compile errors actually does little to resolve the issues. It's guessing and flailing around like panicked blind men.

The solution can usually quickly be found by zipping a Project that has the error, and either attaching it to a post, or giving a OneDrive or Google Drive link to the zipped Project. Then others can actually compile and examine the problem themselves, and offer an intelligent solution.

Country
switzerland
ok I understand. I deleted these attachments. Only still 3 open questions. I hope somebody can answer these questions.