• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX:SE Attempting to customize an airport and set it in a mega-scenery addon

Country
unitedstates
I have been working to add detail to a local airport with ADE and having trouble understanding Terrain Polys in ADE. After many hours of reading and re-reading the manual, I am pretty comfortable that I can take a stock airport and modify it with buildings and other objects. But, I am really struggling with Terrain Polys. I am thinking I should be able to build the airport and 'set it down' on top of a Mega Scenery airport. From my struggles today it seems that I can only get the terrain Poly combinations to work on the base FSX scenery. There I can build what I want but only the runways and aprons appear when I activate the Mega Scenery. These runways and aprons sit real nice on the mega scenery but no objects appear. I understand that objects are simply textures and need to have a base to sit on. Just not having any luck with any combinations of Terrain Polys that will provide that base. I'm hoping that it is possible. The surrounding scenery around Vance Brand Airport in the Colorado Mega Scenery is so much better than the stock scenery surrounding the airport. Am I tilting at windmills? ..... still looking for the secret combination of steps. ... Jerry

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I have moved this thread to a more appropriate forum

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Photographically derived terrain, such as Megascenery, carries higher detail and is more advanced than terrain polygons, so for this and other reasons the simulator does not render terrain polygons in the presence of photo scenery. To edit photo derived scenery, you'd have to create your own scene that blends with the underlying photo and is placed at a higher scenery priority level. Below is an example of an airport I made to sit within an ORBX large area photo scenery. You can see that I chose to set my transitions to occur at the perimeter road, in most places, as opposed to using a gradual fade, which is more common.

sendfile.php

In actual fact, one cannot derive a photographic scenery .bgl, that is not shaped exactly like the photo it was derived from, one must use masks and transparency to conceal unnecessary areas. Here is a link to the scenery, you are welcome to explore and reverse engineer it.

Country
unitedstates

Photographically derived terrain, such as Megascenery, carries higher detail and is more advanced than terrain polygons, so for this and other reasons the simulator does not render terrain polygons in the presence of photo scenery. To edit photo derived scenery, you'd have to create your own scene that blends with the underlying photo and is placed at a higher scenery priority level. Below is an example of an airport I made to sit within an ORBX large area photo scenery. You can see that I chose to set my transitions to occur at the perimeter road, in most places, as opposed to using a gradual fade, which is more common.

sendfile.php

In actual fact, one cannot derive a photographic scenery .bgl, that is not shaped exactly like the photo it was derived from, one must use masks and transparency to conceal unnecessary areas. Here is a link to the scenery, you are welcome to explore and reverse engineer it.

sendfile.php

This looks exactly like what i am trying to do with my Mega Scenery..... Thanks... I will have a look at your work.... Jerry