• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 Blender/UV Maps/ModelConverter X

Country
austria
Hello there,

It seems i'm unable to export my model correctly, the UV Map set up in Blender seems to get lost in the process somehow and i just can't figure it out, or i'm just missing something.
Screenshot (8).png

It seems to me that the UV Map is set up alright, but when i export it via the Blender2P3D Addon and then import the.mdl in Modelconverter X it looks like this.
Screenshot (9).png
I had a similar problem a while ago, and the answer was simple, the UV Map was incorrect - but it seems fine to me.

Here's what i did, i created this simple mesh in Blender, then

-unwrapped it
-exported the mesh to substance painter
-add the material and exported the textures
-set up the material in blender using these textures
-esxport the whole thing via the Blender2P3D addon to get a .mdl file
-import into MCX to place it in the Sim and see what it looks like

And that's where i am now, i just can't figure out where my mistake is.
If anyone has any suggestions whatsoever - Thank you

Cheers

Last edited:
Country
austria
Looks like the texture needs flipped? Are you flipping the texture's from SP?
I'm not, no - How would i do that ?
Flip the uv map in Blender or flip textures in Substance Painter ?

Is there an option i missed when exporting (like "flip textures") or do i have to do that manually ?

Thank you for responding, i appreciate you taking the time to read and answer.

Cheers

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello.

Always Flip in Blender, lets backtrack abit. Take a screenshot of your uv layout in blender please. That is after substance painter.

Country
austria
Hello.

Always Flip in Blender, lets backtrack abit. Take a screenshot of your uv layout in blender please. That is after substance painter.
The first screenshot in my opening post was taken after substance painter, after i set up the material in Blender with the textures that came from SP.

As i said, looked fine in Blender, but after exporting the texture was all over the place.
So what exactly would i flip - the UV Map in Blender ?

Thank you

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
The screenshot is unreadable, very blurry. To make sure all normals are facing the outside, first select all (clicking 'a'). From within modeling tab and edit mode, click on the Mesh tab. Slide down to Normals (Alt-N) and then click on 'Recalculate Outside' (Shift-N).

Also, did you place all faces into a material slot before exporting to SP? What material within SP did you assign it to and did you export the respective maps?

Country
austria
The screenshot is unreadable, very blurry. To make sure all normals are facing the outside, first select all (clicking 'a'). From within modeling tab and edit mode, click on the Mesh tab. Slide down to Normals (Alt-N) and then click on 'Recalculate Outside' (Shift-N).

Also, did you place all faces into a material slot before exporting to SP? What material within SP did you assign it to and did you export the respective maps?

That's weird, i can see the screenshot just fine.

The normals, yes, i definitely did that, if they were messed up/facing the wrong way the repective faces don't show in MCX for me.
I've attached a few screenshots:

1) Before exporting to substance painter (as .fbx)
2) In SP, as you can see i just took a random material for testing purposes
3) After setting up the material in Blender - Textures look fine
4) MCX - and well, there's my problem - textures are messed up

The maps i exported with SP are:

Albedo
Metallic
Normal

and then converted from .tga to .dds (via GIMP)

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    396.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    933.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot (14).png
    Screenshot (14).png
    396 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot (13).png
    Screenshot (13).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 102

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Messed up? They look fine to me. Do you mean they are rotated the wrong direction? Or that the material is covering the whole texture? You forgot to set the layout type within SP. Not at my computer at this moment so I can't give you the proper function to adjust it... I will later for sure.

Last edited:
Country
austria
Messed up? They look fine to me. Do you mean they are rotated the wrong direction? Or that the material is covering the whole texture? You forgot to set the layout type within SP. Not at my computer at this moment so I can't give you the proper function to adjust it... I will later for sure.

i hope they're maybe just rotated the wrong way, but it looks to me that for whatever reason the UV Map is not respected.
Take a look at the red circle part, this doesn't match the UV Map set up in Blender.

I just wanna thank you for taking the time and trying to help me, i'm really stuck here so i appreciate it very much.

Attachments

• Screenshot (14).png
    Screenshot (14).png
    395.2 KB · Views: 89

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Before you do the below.... are any warning messages appearing at the bottom of SP, after importing the model into SP. I'm not seeing the bottom of SP from the images you have posted.

Try this: set up a 2nd material in Blender for the area that is "disjointed" and assign it to the 2nd material. Then try exporting it to SP. Of course, this will mean that you will have to place the material in SP twice. once for the 1st material and 2nd time on the other material. See if that doesn't correct it.

Last edited:
Country
austria
I will give that a try and see if that fixes anything, but no, there are/were no warning messages displayed in SP.

Looks like the texture needs flipped? Are you flipping the texture's from SP?
Would you mind telling me what you mean exactly, where/how i would flip the textures - i would like to give that a try too.

Cheers

Country
us-arizona
My apologies, for some reason I was assuming this was for P3D and not MFS. Do you mind sharing your blend file with the texture and I'd happily take a look.

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
I will give that a try and see if that fixes anything, but no, there are/were no warning messages displayed in SP.

Would you mind telling me what you mean exactly, where/how i would flip the textures - i would like to give that a try too.

Cheers
You have already tried that when flipping the norrmals. Are you sure about no warning messages? It could be the model has ngon and not tris.

Before exporting to SP, make sure you have all polygons in tris. In edit mode select all 'a'. Click on the face tab and slide down to 'Triangulate Faces'. After doing this save under different filename. Then export to SP.

See if the uv mapping is correct.

Country
austria
Okay, i think i'm pretty close to solving this issue - after some experimenting and trying out i found that it must be somewhere in my conversion to .dds that my texture gets messed up.

I'm exporting my textures from SP in .tga - and used these files to set up the Material in Blender where everything looks fine.
But - as soon as i convert this to .dds (which i need to do - right? ) it's all over the place.

So, my question is - can you tell me how you would convert your textures ?
I've tried via GIMP (export to) and MCX - both gave me the same result.

I attached the two texture files here if you want to take a look.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot (17).png
    Screenshot (17).png
    967 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot (18).png
    Screenshot (18).png
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 121
  • export.zip
    591.6 KB · Views: 116
Country
us-arizona
Building package in MSFS dev tools is when your textures get converted to .dds, that is probably your problem. Export from Substance Painter as .png or .tga and use those in Blender during export. Bet you're problems go away.

Country
austria
Building package in MSFS dev tools is when your textures get converted to .dds, that is probably your problem. Export from Substance Painter as .png or .tga and use those in Blender during export. Bet you're problems go away.
I just saw that i didn't put a prefix on my post, changed that to P3DV5 - but thank you for your answer Yohan, appreciate the help.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
If this is for P3D v5 then you need to flip the png or tga file vertically before you convert them to dds, specially if you are using GIMP. The plugin within GIMP doesn't do this automatically.

Within MCX it should flip them vertically automatically, unless you changed one of the options.

Country
us-arizona
I just saw that i didn't put a prefix on my post, changed that to P3DV5 - but thank you for your answer Yohan, appreciate the help.
That really helps a lot! That's why I was originally mentioning flipping the textures..

If this is for P3D v5 then you need to flip the png or tga file vertically before you convert them to dds, specially if you are using GIMP. The plugin within GIMP doesn't do this automatically.
Listen to this fellow.

Country
austria
THIS - This seemed to do the trick - textures are displayed as they should be - Thank you, Thank you very much.

Listen to this fellow.
Yes - he's absolutely right.

Cheers